Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 11:30:15 AM EDT
Gorgeous
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 12:50:24 PM EDT
Nice rifle. The A4 is my current favorite AR setup. I wish I could pony up the cash for an ACOG for mine.

What is the laser setup you are running?
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 12:51:40 PM EDT
sweet.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 12:53:15 PM EDT
That, sir, is a beautiful and extremely effective rifle. Well done.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:20:02 PM EDT
It's a dual beam Visible and IR laser I got off ebay from a guy from Hong Kong who sells them. Paid about $400 for it
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:23:24 PM EDT
is it an airsoft laser?
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:27:39 PM EDT
Thank's for the compliments. The upper is a Saber Defense 1/7 that was sold as a complete unit with the Knight's RAS . Bought it from PK Firearms. Doesn't look like they sell that particuar combo anymore.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:29:12 PM EDT
not Airsoft, they're made in Hong Kong. Guy also sells a AN-PAQ-4-C clone
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:48:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/30/2007 6:27:13 PM EDT by speedballalice]
I bought the same upper from PKfirearms without the RAS. Acquired one later. I have been very happy with the upper so far.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:32:18 PM EDT
I love this setup but it looked odd to me at first glance. Then I realized why- I'm used to seeing a flip up rear BUIS under the ACOG and the ACOG a little farther forward.

I understand you've mounted it where you need it and was wondering if that's from experience or you just moved it as far back as you could?

I'd just recommend moving it forward so you can get a BUIS in there. A used KAC rear 300m would be the cat's ass on that rifle. Probably find them used still for $60 or so. Mine was that price after it returned from the sand box.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:41:56 AM EDT
I thought about a BUIS. I sort of modeled this rifle after a those I saw in a book "All of my men are my heroes" by Brad Kasals, a decorated USMC Sergeant who was wounded at Fallujah. Lots of great combat photos of the Marines in action there and I noticed that none of their rifles had backup sights. So there was method to my madness.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:56:08 AM EDT
I personally mount my ACOG as far back as possible due to the short eye relief. I actually mounted my BUIS (personal A.R.M.S. #40) forward of the ACOG on my M4.

Here's a cluttered view.

I had to mount the BUIS on the rear of the RAS instead of the upper but it worked fine for its intended purpose.

yak
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:06:36 AM EDT
But don't they teach you how and where to place your cheek in order to get the proper eye relief with the scope at a more forward location?

I'm sure a lot of guys weren't issued BUISs, that's unfortunate but you guys have the luxury of buying one.

Oh, and I'm not hallucinating so I've seen plenty with the buis. Your books may be full of pictures from the same unit where they didn't get theirs.

but then again, if it's not just meant to be a clone but a shooter for you and that's where you want your scope and you weren't trained to shoot with it farther forward then you've got it in the right place.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:13:12 AM EDT
When you add the short eye-relief of the aACOG and the unglodly long LOP on an A2 buttstock, you'd think you'd have a horrible combination, but by god, it seems to work out perfectly
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:42:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/1/2007 11:44:58 AM EDT by Augee]
Army now teaches "shoot from where you're most comfortable," however, sometimes, with all the equipment and body armor on, it's atrocious trying to get a proper NTCH with a long LOP.

Different strokes for different folks, I mount mine further up, and shoot with my stock collapsed. Others who like a little more LOP mount the ACOGs further back for proper eye relief. One of the biggest benefits of the M4, IMHO. A2 was always too long for me. Wasn't as much of a problem with an LBV. Much more annoying with IBA.

With an A2 stock, I almost guarantee most will end up placing their ACOGs pretty far back on their receivers.

Also, though BUIS are becoming more common, I would still say the majority of weapons with ACOGs, especially M16A-4's, don't have BUIS in the military.

Your replica looks great to me, hope to have one pretty similar in the future.

~Augee
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:40:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By yakrat101:
I personally mount my ACOG as far back as possible due to the short eye relief. I actually mounted my BUIS (personal A.R.M.S. #40) forward of the ACOG on my M4.

Here's a cluttered view.

i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/yakrat/acog.jpg

I had to mount the BUIS on the rear of the RAS instead of the upper but it worked fine for its intended purpose.

yak

The only reason you don't get flamed for your set up, is because you are actually a soldier. If I did that, everyone would tell me how stupid I am. I personally like it.

If you look at yakrat's acog, it already has buis on it. I don't know how good they work, but I'm guessing if for some reason the optic failed and was still on the receiver, it would work at close range. I think some of the GI guys have that set up and then don't worry about a rear sight. Or some just throw their issue carry handle on after removing the acog. You can't flip up a BUIS with the acog on anyways. And it would only cowitness with a low power compact also. My opinion is those flip ups are best used with the reflex sights, for when they fail. You don't have to take anything off. Just flip up and shoot.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:03:45 PM EDT
Why why why do people put panels on the top rail?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:39:40 PM EDT
Man thats a great looking build. Job well done, looks great
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:15:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By platypusREX:

To protect the rail from getting dinged up?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:56:34 AM EDT

Why do you care?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:37:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 6:47:10 AM EDT by Duffy]
The KAC RAS rails are tough as nails. In an attempt to remove a recalcitrant FSB on my upper with KAC FF RAS MRE, I accidentally hit the rails, a few times I hit the end of the rail and deformed it a little, the end of the rail is where if you have a rail cover it wouldn't have done much to protect it.

In the pic you can also see my feeble attempt to put the deformed rail back in its place (I failed )

In the case of jcrowl's rifle, there'd be little chance of the top rails getting damaged since there's the FSB that would take the brunt of a drop. KAC panels are still better than these worthless ladder panels, they don't do much to protect the hand from the heat, or the rails from real damage.

It's all personal preference. I only cover the rails where needed, some like to cover all of the exposed rails, including those on the receiver I used to poke fun at folks that cover all of their rails, but they could just as easily question why my rails aren't covered.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:50:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CTbuilder1:

I would buy "to protect my ass from what my wife would do if I screwed up some furniture". That would be a good answer.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:23:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CTbuilder1:

I would buy "to protect my ass from what my wife would do if I screwed up some furniture". That would be a good answer.
Top Top