Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/8/2005 6:42:36 PM EDT
Hello folks!

My SBR was finally approved. I want to have a local shop cut the barrel down to 11.5 inches and thread it. I would like to put a RRA 9mm hider on it but also to be able to remove it and attach a silencer. I do not own a silencer yet but I would like to get one that can be interchanged from my Glock 19 to the 9mm AR. What thread pitch and what silencer can you folks recommend? I don't care about quick-detach. Thread-on supressor is what I want.

Also, can a 308 supressor be used when firing 9mm? A 308 can is probably only a couple more C-notes and I could then interchange the can from a 308 bolt rifle to 9mm AR.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:53:48 PM EDT
YOu may have better luck over in the Full Auto section, Theres a ton of NFA guru's there.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:59:23 PM EDT
9mm is bigger than .308
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 7:00:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/8/2005 7:02:40 PM EDT by nobody-really]
Simple. Gemtech.

The Trinity suppressor can be ordered with a variety of mounting systems:

THREAD MOUNT: The thread mounting version provides reliable cycling with the M9, SIG P226, and fixed barrel pistols. The standard threaded endcap is available threaded 1/2x28 or M13.5x1. On special order, a steel endcap is available threaded 1/2x36 for the Colt 9mm submachine gun. The 1/2x28 threaded endcap is now available with a non-galling titanium thread insert.

L.I.D (Linear Inertial Decoupler.: The L.I.D. mount (patent pending) enhances cycling on Browning Design pistols by providing increased recoil impulse. It is generally required on Glock pistols and is available threaded 1/2x28 as well as M13.5x1.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:51:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By nobody-really:
The Trinity suppressor can be ordered with a variety of mounting systems:

THREAD MOUNT: The thread mounting version provides reliable cycling with the M9, SIG P226, and fixed barrel pistols. The standard threaded endcap is available threaded 1/2x28 or M13.5x1. On special order, a steel endcap is available threaded 1/2x36 for the Colt 9mm submachine gun. The 1/2x28 threaded endcap is now available with a non-galling titanium thread insert.

L.I.D (Linear Inertial Decoupler.: The L.I.D. mount (patent pending) enhances cycling on Browning Design pistols by providing increased recoil impulse. It is generally required on Glock pistols and is available threaded 1/2x28 as well as M13.5x1.

So would a 9mm barrel threaded to 1/2x28 instead of the Colt (and I think RRA) standard 1/2x36 be a better idea?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:20:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/10/2005 10:45:40 PM EDT by nobody-really]
No.

You will want to thread your AR 9mm barrel to ½ - 36 and have your Glock threaded to ½ - 24. There are many good reasons for this. I will list them:

1. You will need to make sure a .223 flash hider cannot be attached to your 9mm barrel by mistake. The standard thread for a .223 AR-15 is ½ -28. Colt went to the ½ - 36 to keep this from happening. Imagine you are taking your suppressor off and grab your flash hider and screw in on. Now did you look to make sure it was not a .223 flash hider, not likely. Having a different thread will save you.
2. You will not be able to find a 9mm flash hider with a ½ - 24 thread for just that reason.
3. To use the suppressor on your AR-15 it will need a fixed barrel endcap. And this is not the same endcap that will work on your Glock (see next note)
4. For a suppressor to work reliably on a browning type design handgun a endcap with a “Nielsen device” or “Linear Inertial Decoupler” or some mechanism that will allow the suppressor to be unsuspended or float when the gun cycles. If you didn’t have this mechanism you would likely have a one shot gun.

To use one suppressor for your two guns you will need two endcaps. This threading for the AR and the Glock are a standard in the industry. Doing anything different will just make things harder for yourself. The Trinity system by Gemtech has interchangeable endcaps so the same suppressor can be used in different applications.

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 3:58:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ikorman:
Hello folks!

My SBR was finally approved. I want to have a local shop cut the barrel down to 11.5 inches and thread it. I would like to put a RRA 9mm hider on it but also to be able to remove it and attach a silencer. I do not own a silencer yet but I would like to get one that can be interchanged from my Glock 19 to the 9mm AR. What thread pitch and what silencer can you folks recommend? I don't care about quick-detach. Thread-on supressor is what I want.

Also, can a 308 supressor be used when firing 9mm? A 308 can is probably only a couple more C-notes and I could then interchange the can from a 308 bolt rifle to 9mm AR.

Congrats on getting your SBR approved!! If you are looking for a gunsmith try Joseph's Gun Dealers in New Britain, CT. John and Jody do outstanding work especially AR's, Glocks and 1911's. They are also Class III dealers. Good Luck and we want some picures when it is all done.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:04:44 AM EDT

You will want to thread your AR 9mm barrel to ½ - 36 and have your Glock threaded to ½ - 24. There are many good reasons for this. I will list them:

1. You will need to make sure a .223 flash hider cannot be attached to your 9mm barrel by mistake. The standard thread for a .223 AR-15 is ½ -24. Colt went to the ½ - 36 to keep this from happening. Imagine you are taking your suppressor off and grab your flash hider and screw in on. Now did you look to make sure it was not a .223 flash hider, not likely. Having a different thread will save you.
2. You will not be able to find a 9mm flash hider with a ½ - 24 thread for just that reason.
3. To use the suppressor on your AR-15 it will need a fixed barrel endcap. And this is not the same endcap that will work on your Glock (see next note)
4. For a suppressor to work reliably on a browning type design handgun a endcap with a “Nielsen device” or “Linear Inertial Decoupler” or some mechanism that will allow the suppressor to be unsuspended or float when the gun cycles. If you didn’t have this mechanism you would likely have a one shot gun.

To use one suppressor for your two guns you will need two endcaps. This threading for the AR and the Glock are a standard in the industry. Doing anything different will just make things harder for yourself. The Trinity system by Gemtech has interchangeable endcaps so the same suppressor can be used in different applications.

Thanks for the info. Understand the main advantage of the Trinity is the interchangeable endgaps, and that each weapon will require a different one. I don't see a 1/2x24 thread option though, only the 1/2x28.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:14:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/10/2005 10:15:12 AM EDT by ikorman]

Originally Posted By jonemtp:
Congrats on getting your SBR approved!! If you are looking for a gunsmith try Joseph's Gun Dealers in New Britain, CT. John and Jody do outstanding work especially AR's, Glocks and 1911's. They are also Class III dealers. Good Luck and we want some picures when it is all done.

I just came from there! They are my favorite place. Service and workmanship are top notch! They will be the shop doing work on the SBR, no doubt.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:49:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SlimHazy:

1. You will need to make sure a .223 flash hider cannot be attached to your 9mm barrel by mistake. The standard thread for a .223 AR-15 is ½ -24. Colt went to the ½ - 36 to keep this from happening. Imagine you are taking your suppressor off and grab your flash hider and screw in on. Now did you look to make sure it was not a .223 flash hider, not likely. Having a different thread will save you.

Thanks for the info. Understand the main advantage of the Trinity is the interchangeable endgaps, and that each weapon will require a different one. I don't see a 1/2x24 thread option though, only the 1/2x28.

You are so right. Sorry about that I fat fingered it (in my head).
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:23:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ikorman:
Hello folks!

A decent .308 can will probably be less than a 9mm can with a LID. If you want a ".308" can that you can fire 9mm through, I think you're pretty much limited to the TripleX or Warrior cans from American Mfg. Mike will bore the cans out to take 9mm on request.

Regarding threads, 1/2x28 is standard for 9mm pistols, so that's what I would get on a 9mm AR bbl. That's a bit too small for .308, though. I think 5/8x24 is more standard for that.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:47:14 PM EDT
Just for fun, click on the link and scroll down the the multi-colored chart.

www.ar15barrels.com/faq.shtml

I get so many questions about threading barrels and why to thread a certain size, that I made a chart that lists the barrel wall thickness between the minor diameter of the threads and the bore.
When looking at it this way, it becomes more obvious what the "better" choices are.
Still, people stick to 1/2-28 or 1/2-36 on a 9mm barrel...
Would you like to hang a can from a barrel wall thickness of 0.046"?

Getting a can for a 308 and a 9mm, thread both barrels 5/8-24, that's the ticket.
Want it on the pistol too?
Get a seperate back plate for the pistol setup.

Randall Rausch
www.ar15barrels.com
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:24:33 PM EDT
Well, gemtek will cut your barrel and add a 3-lug like an H&K.

Trosusa.com sells 9mm barrels with 3-lug for SBR.

I hear lots of wonderful things about the 3-lug on the MP-5 9mm. All the major manufacturers make 3-lug compatible silencers and flash hiders.

Plus, there is no confusion about putting the wrong thread size or a 223 flash hider on a 9mm.

Opinions?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:34:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:30:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Randall_Rausch:
Nothing wrong with that unless thay are threading a 9mm barrel 1/2-28 to install a 3 lug adapter on it.
If this is the case, then refer to my 0.046" barrel wall thickness comment...

If that's the case, why do so many manufacturers (most of them) offer 9mm suppressors or mounts/adapters threaded 1/2-28 (or 1/2-36, which leaves you with the same wall thickness)? Gemtech Trinity is available with 1/2-28 and 1/2-36 threads; SWR Trident is available with 1/2-28 and maybe 1/2-36; AAC Evolution is available with 1/2-28 and 1/2-32. If it's unsafe, why wouldn't they offer other thread sizes instead? I'm just curious since I'm waiting for my first 9mm suppressor that I want to be able to use on both the 9mm AR (TROS 3-lug barrel) and my 9mm pistols for which I'll need to get threaded barrels; given the options above, I don't think I have much of a choice but to go with 1/2-XX threads.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:57:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:10:35 AM EDT
Just as an aside; I know the original question was specific for the Colt/RRA Barrel and setup, but I have an Oly setup and the barrels are threaded 1/2 x 28 from the factory. I was told by Oly that they just normally bore out a standard A2 flash protector.

I am pondering working with a local class 3 manufacture with a couple designs for my 9mm carbine. I have been thinking of having him order another set of baffles and end cap for a Tac-16 to try out. As long as he keeps the spare parts.

Didn't want to hijack.
Top Top