AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2012 12:31:30 AM EDT
Ok So Far I've got the lower completed specs:

CMMG lower receiver & parts kit
spikes pistol tube and buffer kit
magpul moe plus grip (dark earth)
magpul trigger guard (dark earth)
magpul pmag windowed magazine (dark earth)
buffer tube cover from stitcher (molon labe dark earth) in process of getting

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/545298_4220578116255_247654210_n.jpg

where I'd like peoples input on is the upper in case there's something I've overlooked like incompatible parts, missing parts etc.

7.5" CHROME MOLY 5.56 NATO BARREL from alpha shooting sports $109
Pistol Length Gas Tube $12.50
A2 Flash Hider & washer $10.50
Bolt Carrier Group $115
Charging Handle $20
Low Profile Gas block .750 $34.95
7" Free Float Rail $89.95
Noveske Chainsaw upper $129.99

so roughly $520 for completed upper a little more than I really wanted to spend at the moment and did skimp on a few parts like the noveske piggy flash supressor and just went with a run of the mill bolt carrier and no name free float rail that included the barrel nut for it similar to ones from midwest industries.  

Also just realized I didn't include a end cap for the free float rail, or the angled fore grip, rail covers, to match the magpul dark earth stuff, and no sights or optics will just be using a extra tru glow red/green dot scope I've got laying around from when I bought a few on sale last winter.

Btw this was started out as a budget build that's already over it's budget lol I was going to see if I could put together a ar pistol for under $550 but changed my mind on lowers and put one together instead of using a pre built plum crazy pistol setup a store here had on sale for $129  so instead of $129 I think I've got roughly $295 in the lower + magazine

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 4:42:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like you are well on your way of building a decent pistol.

I'd leave this off:
angled fore grip

A little iffy on a pistol when forward grips are considered a no-no and "could" make it a NFA weapon. Kind of a gray area with the angled grip .imo.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:27:54 AM EDT
[#2]
That flash hider will be brutal on your ears and eyes at night. If you can add more to your budget get a flaming pig of similar unit.

Make sure you also install an extra power extractor spring in your bolt. All ARs should have this as standard equipment but none come with. I like the Wolf brand myself and they are only like $5.00.

Everything else looks fine, just take your time and make sure the gas block lines up perfect with the barrel hole.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 7:40:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I went with an A2 flash hider for a long time before I felt like upgrading. I ended up going with the Spike's Tactical Warthog which was later called the S.T.A.B (Spike's Tactical Adjustable Brake). I don't think they make the S.T.A.B. anymore

The A2 was just the cheapest thing I could put on the front other than a simple thread protector. It worked fine, but the concussion from the sides is common. You'll be fine with the A2 until you feel like upgrading.

Have you considered the Yankee Hill Machine Diamond Series hand guards? Primary Arms is currently sold out   Brownells has them for a few bucks more.

I personally prefer a long hand guard with a low profile gas block under the hand guard.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the 4" FF tube on my 7" barrel cause that way I won't shoot my fingers off
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#5]
yeah I'll be upgrading to the flaming pig at a later point it's on my short list just using the a2 since a store here in town had one for $10,  

nice I may go with a yhm rail didn't see those when looking and it's only a little more than the one I was looking at earlier (glad I didn't order yet)

I do like the way the rail looks when it goes to the end plus the yhm rails have screw in end caps for a finished look (not too worried about shooting my hands)

so far I did order the barrel since they seem to be in short supply here lately most sites were sold out of barrels I wanted and didn't want to spend $400 on one from the few sites that did have high end ones, also ordered a troy low profile gas block, a2 flash hider for the time being (picked up locally) and the gas tube ordered with the barrel. :D can't wait to get all the parts so I can go to the range and test it out will post pics once I get the upper started and more together.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm glad I could help. I like a some of YHM's stuff. I'm going to be getting a rifle length diamond series hand guard pretty soon for my 16" and a YHM low pro gas block to replace a folding FSB.

If you do get that hand guard you might consider also getting one of the YHM forearm wrenches. Some say that you an get away with using a strap wrench.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a dpms armorer's tool :) it should do the trick even has a torque wrench slot on it
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#8]
rest ordered tonight picked up a 3 pack of the extra power extractor springs for this gun and my others :)
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks like you are well on your way of building a decent pistol.

I'd leave this off:
angled fore grip

A little iffy on a pistol when forward grips are considered a no-no and "could" make it a NFA weapon. Kind of a gray area with the angled grip .imo.

Tech Branch has ruled at least once that the AFG is not a vertical grip since it's a fixed angled grip.  To be safe, I've sent for my own ATF letter covering this and other 'goodies' I'm putting on like a cane tip and a few other things.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#10]
https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/283693_4272328169974_622829267_n.jpg

updated pic still missing my rail covers, optics and buffer tube cover from stitcher ;-)
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#11]
https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/458609_4272393531608_281017346_o.jpg

my two ar's I've built so far this year it's addicting I already have a 3rd and 4th build planned out I want a retro ar and a sbr I'll prob order a receiver and get the permit process started for that receiver thinking a 14.5" m4
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
yeah I'll be upgrading to the flaming pig at a later point it's on my short list just using the a2 since a store here in town had one for $10,  

nice I may go with a yhm rail didn't see those when looking and it's only a little more than the one I was looking at earlier (glad I didn't order yet)

I do like the way the rail looks when it goes to the end plus the yhm rails have screw in end caps for a finished look (not too worried about shooting my hands)

so far I did order the barrel since they seem to be in short supply here lately most sites were sold out of barrels I wanted and didn't want to spend $400 on one from the few sites that did have high end ones, also ordered a troy low profile gas block, a2 flash hider for the time being (picked up locally) and the gas tube ordered with the barrel. :D can't wait to get all the parts so I can go to the range and test it out will post pics once I get the upper started and more together.

check brightflashlights.com he is a vendor here and has the whole YHM line in stock with free shipping i think.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:10:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Where'd you get the BCG for $115?
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 12:33:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Where'd you get the BCG for $115?

http://www.elitetacticalcomponents.com/bc1044

is the one i think I ordered but it's outta stock now

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=114

has them for $120 though
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:46:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice Looking Build.  There are a couple things that will make your pistol more useful.  A sling mount locking plate and one point sling

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/ARR-9757?ingb=Y

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/SLING-100

These are just examples but these sure help when I want a free hand
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I like it.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top