Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/13/2004 6:11:58 PM EST
I few months before the sunset of the ban I bought a Colt MT6400c. But now it is in pieces and all over the place.

My bolt carrier group and charging handle are in my closet collecting dust.

My barrelled upper is in Florida at Kurt's Kustom Firearms. He is cutting the formerly 16.1" barrel down to 14.5", recontouring to proper M4 specs, restamping the barrel markings, removing the front side sling swivel, swapping out the FSB for an "F" marked one with a bayo lug, and topping off with his A3 Flash Suppressor.

My lower is at a local friend's house having the fixed telestock removed and awaiting a new stock.

I am awaiting two packages of accessories.

Wilderness is sending me a Magpul M93A stock and a Wilderness Single Point Sling.

Eagle Firearms is sending me an Aimpoint Comp ML2, an ARMS #22M68 Ring, a cantilever spacer, and an ARMS #40A2 BUIS.

If I can just get it all back in town and put together I will be one happy camper. But in the mean time, the home front is under the protection of my Mini 14.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:20:14 PM EST
That's why you need (at least) two ARs: backup while one is in the shop.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:27:10 PM EST
I feel your pain! I'm waiting for my lower and my collapsable stock.

-YJ
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:57:50 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:11:03 AM EST
what i did was select a few to replace bareels and the rest i sent off to be threaded and with the old barrels that were replaced i send them off later that way when they return i will have extra barrels laying around

its been a real good excuse to build new ones with the replaced barrels
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:12:47 AM EST
Man up and put that stock on yourself!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:04:20 AM EST
Tis the season! I may not see Christmas this year because I am spending my present money as well as my wife's on the damn ARs. Hell its only money!

P.S. Dont tell my wife as of yet. Wait until its all together!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:33:33 AM EST
I SYMPATHIZE with ya Dude !
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:00:03 AM EST
The more I think about it, what do you mean when you say "F" marked FSB (I am looking to replace mine on my 6400). What do you mean when you say recontour the barrel? I understand its already an M4 contour if you have a 6400. All your doing is just having it shortened, I dont think that affects the current contour (cut out). Correct me if I am wrong, I am deciding what to do with mine!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:34:41 AM EST
The front sight base is taller on the Colt M4. The "F" stands for flat top. I bought an "F" marked FSB with bayonet lug from Bravo Company. It is manufactured by FN rather than Colt but it is forged and to U.S.G.I. specs. If you put anything other than an "F" marked one on a Colt, your sights are going to be off a bit.

Second, the barrel contour on the MT6400c is correct from the chamber end of the barrel all the way to the step cut. But from there forward it is incorrect. It doesn't take that other step down toward the muzzle just before it reaches the flash suppressor. It just doesn't look right because it isn't.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:39:27 AM EST
I'm in the same - my upper is at Kurt's, too. Changing the 16" HBAR to M4gery profile with threaded muzzle. I've got the collapsible on the lower (wasn't hard to change) and an A2 flash hider waiting.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:46:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/14/2004 11:47:16 AM EST by Carbine_Man]

Originally Posted By tacman556:
I few months before the sunset of the ban I bought a Colt MT6400c. But now it is in pieces and all over the place.

My bolt carrier group and charging handle are in my closet collecting dust.

My barrelled upper is in Florida at Kurt's Kustom Firearms. He is cutting the formerly 16.1" barrel down to 14.5", recontouring to proper M4 specs, restamping the barrel markings, removing the front side sling swivel, swapping out the FSB for an "F" marked one with a bayo lug, and topping off with his A3 Flash Suppressor.

My lower is at a local friend's house having the fixed telestock removed and awaiting a new stock.

I am awaiting two packages of accessories.

Wilderness is sending me a Magpul M93A stock and a Wilderness Single Point Sling.

Eagle Firearms is sending me an Aimpoint Comp ML2, an ARMS #22M68 Ring, a cantilever spacer, and an ARMS #40A2 BUIS.

If I can just get it all back in town and put together I will be one happy camper. But in the mean time, the home front is under the protection of my Mini 14.

I feel your pain.

Up until a few weeks ago I had 5 AR's. Then I decided I had to make a few changes, and then I got sick of waiting for 6.8mm SPC.

Now I have:
  • A CavArms/SP1 that's a jam-o'matic, trying everything under the sun to get it to work, waiting for a new recoil spring.
  • A RRA rifle that I'm waiting to swap out the Vulcan upper receiver for a RRA flattop coming from Legal Transfers.
  • A Vulcan lower, now with an A3 upper, that I just got finished reworking (thankfully, it runs great.)
  • and a pile of parts in boxes and bags being sold to strangers all over the place.
WIll I ever be happy and leave well enough alone? I feel like a homeless person.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:02:33 PM EST
I plan on putting on a Eotech so do I need to change out my current front sight on my MT6400? Why does Colt use the current FSB when you say they should have the "F" FSB? Is it because they are using a carry handle sight? All I know is I want to make my 6400 the the closest to a M4 as possible without buying a new rifle. What should I do to make this happen? Just out of curiosity how much is this costing you to have Kurt do the work you speak of on the barrel? Will Kurts re-park job match that of the original Colt finish? Oh, yes I do have many more questions where these came from! Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:36:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By tacman556:
But in the mean time, the home front is under the protection of my Mini 14.

Let's hope you don't get attacked by the side of a barn. Sorry, just had to say it...I actually like the Mini 14, for what it is...
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:01:34 PM EST

Originally Posted By clubster:
I plan on putting on a Eotech so do I need to change out my current front sight on my MT6400? Why does Colt use the current FSB when you say they should have the "F" FSB? Is it because they are using a carry handle sight? All I know is I want to make my 6400 the the closest to a M4 as possible without buying a new rifle. What should I do to make this happen? Just out of curiosity how much is this costing you to have Kurt do the work you speak of on the barrel? Will Kurts re-park job match that of the original Colt finish? Oh, yes I do have many more questions where these came from! Thanks for the help.

Colt does use an "F" front sight base on their M4's, that is why he is putting another "F" base on, but with a bayo lug!

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:38:05 AM EST
Get parts and tools and become an armorer, take care of any problems yourself, except for cutting the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:58:42 AM EST
Why doesnt the Colt 6400 use a "f" FSB?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:02:27 AM EST
What's an "A3" flashhider?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:36:05 AM EST
My shop is in my tool room. :)
Work on your own gear 100% of the time and downtime in the future will be cut down significantly. I apply this philosophy to my cars. I do everything at home but change the tires (i don't have a fancy balancer machine for high speed balancing or the tire bead breaker/seater), perform computerized wheel alignment (again, no money or space for equipment), and run dyno sessions logging A/F ratio (no room or money for equipment).
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:26:33 PM EST
Clubster,

Apparently there is some confusion, but we have covered this several times already. My rifle came with an "F" FSB sans lug. I am replacing it with an "F" FSB with lug. I recommend that you go to Kurt's Kustom Firearms website and explore his products, options, and prices. He also has his own discussion forum on which you can communicate with him directly.

fastang50,

Kurt's KKF A3FSMS stands for Kurt's Kustom Firearms A3 Flash Suppressor Mil Spec. It is basically identical to an A2 Flashider but 1/2" longer. It is specifically designed so that you can permanently attach it to a 14 1/2" barrel to give you a total overall barrel length of 16", thus making it legal. It is the same length as a Phantom or a Vortex.

Kurt's Kustom Firearms

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:36:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By El_Roto:

+1 - ALWAYS have a backup!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:44:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By El_Roto:

Good thing you added ( At Least )
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:45:06 PM EST
Top Top