[Last Edit: 6/15/2011 6:06:55 PM EDT by NightHawkIX]
My latest build has been in the
works for 2 years, with me swapping out components that didn't work for
me, and keeping those that did. It was also a hard learned lesson of buy
once, cry once as most of the components I started out with were bought
for budget, but have now been upgraded to something much "better." In
the end, the only part on my rifle that is retained from the original
build 2 years ago is the stripped lower receiver and parts of the LPK;
EVERYTHING else has been changed. The rifle was built as a multi-purpose rifle to be used in anything from home defense, to coyote hunting, to 3 gun competitions. The paint job was a quick 1 hour rattle can job because I got bored with a fully black rifle.

What do you guys think?
Still in Parts:

(12) Fluted heavy profile makes it as light as a M4 profile, but should be much more accurate (WOA claims 0.5-0.75MOA on this barrel)

Parts/Price breakdown (and for fun, a list of what the parts used to be). For comparison, I listed what I paid for what the retail cost usually is and found that building a good rifle by myself saves me around $600 or 25% if I shop around and buy some parts used.

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:52:12 AM EDT
Very nice!  Ive always been too afraid to add everything up...
How do you like the Viper PST?
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 9:04:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By crag_dt:

Very nice!  Ive always been too afraid to add everything up...

How do you like the Viper PST?

Yeah. I definitely paused before hitting that summation function on Excel... But in all honesty, I don't think the damage is that bad considering what this rifle should be capable of.

The PST is great. I've been able to hit targets at 300-400Y no problem; glass is clear, construction is great, eye relief is generous. Only gripe about it is the poor day-light illumination.

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 10:09:42 AM EDT
My question would be, where did you get a Battlecomp for $80?!?!?!

Outstanding deal, I just paid 160 + 11 for rocksett.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 3:48:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Shenanagins:

My question would be, where did you get a Battlecomp for $80?!?!?!

Outstanding deal, I just paid 160 + 11 for rocksett.

I got it from a benevolent big wig over at AimSurplus- he traded a new BattleComp to me for a pair of Bose headphones I was selling at the time (was asking $80 on the EE).

ETA: pictures posted!

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:10:30 PM EDT
Looks great. Very well done
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:36:51 PM EDT
Looks great! Very nicely done
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 9:35:20 PM EDT
Does it fly the spaceship too?

Nice rifle...
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 11:34:26 PM EDT
Looks good!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 6:49:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By EdHaney1:

Does it fly the spaceship too?

Nice rifle...

I was just thinking that my next build needed to be a Space Gun

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 7:57:26 AM EDT
A quick question actually:

My gas block (YHM low pro) didn't want to fit onto my barrel very nicely, so I ended up taking some sand paper (40 grit, and finished w/ 600 grit) and polishing the inside of the gas block. Then I sprayed some kroil and it fit on like a dream. Still pretty tight and I had to use a mallet to knock the final inch on, but much better than before. Do you guys think my polish job will cause any issues down the road in terms of gas leakage and so forth?

[I did the blow air down the barrel test and air did come out of my gas tube just fine]
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 9:46:29 AM EDT
No it shouldnt and I do this all the time with AK parts but usually I polish the inside with a dremel and a sanding drum.... I just use diffrent size arbors to get all the way inside.... I havent had one leak yet....I usually polish with 600 also...
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 12:18:15 PM EDT
Never, ever add it up...
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 3:59:11 PM EDT
lol!

especially dont record your total in a spreadsheet or on the internets for your spouse to run across...

Originally Posted By vtmactech:
Never, ever add it up...

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 4:00:55 PM EDT
Hah, the jokes on you- I don't have a spouse, just a long term S.O.!

Originally Posted By jncryer:

lol!

especially dont record your total in a spreadsheet or on the internets for your spouse to run across...

Never, ever add it up...

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 4:04:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By NightHawkIX:
Hah, the jokes on you- I don't have a spouse, just a long term S.O.!
Originally Posted By jncryer:
lol!

Never, ever add it up...

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 4:53:49 PM EDT
You upgraded from a BCM  upper to a Del-ton upper? Then to a Del-ton BCG? I don't ever recall seeing this upgrade before.

Did you sell all the old parts off or do you now have two rifles?
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 5:25:15 PM EDT
Yeah... that was an odd "upgrade"

I got the 20" BCM but determined it was too heavy. I then foolishly thought that if I sell my BCM upper and BCG, I can then buy a Del-Ton AR15 and a Savage Bolt action that I wanted. Well, that ended up being true, but the Del-Ton didn't shoot nearly as well as my old BCM. So here we are, I sold my Del-Ton and now have a franken-stein rifle. Don't knock the Del-Ton BCG though, it's MPI/HPT and functions flawlessly; I've never had to baby it, it's never given me a FTF/FTE after a whole lot of rounds (lost count) ranging from Wolf to Silver Bear to my reloads.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:13:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By NightHawkIX:
Yeah... that was an odd "upgrade"

I got the 20" BCM but determined it was too heavy. I then foolishly thought that if I sell my BCM upper and BCG, I can then buy a Del-Ton AR15 and a Savage Bolt action that I wanted. Well, that ended up being true, but the Del-Ton didn't shoot nearly as well as my old BCM. So here we are, I sold my Del-Ton and now have a franken-stein rifle. Don't knock the Del-Ton BCG though, it's MPI/HPT and functions flawlessly; I've never had to baby it, it's never given me a FTF/FTE after a whole lot of rounds (lost count) ranging from Wolf to Silver Bear to my reloads.

Ahhh, gotcha...I also have a Del-Ton BCG, it's been nothing but 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:05:04 AM EDT
Wow...that's purdy...
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 10:01:08 AM EDT
Love how the UBR looks in two tone.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 3:05:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/18/2011 6:10:00 PM EDT by NightHawkIX]
Took it to the range today and ran it through its paces. And to satisfy the Rifle Gods, I even tried doing a proper barrel break in... Happy to report it runs like a dream, and is damn accurate and MOA with factory ammo.
GROUP RESULTS (done on sandbags):
#1: 5 Shots at 100Y w/ Hornady Factory 55gr Vmax

#2: 5 shots at 100Y w/ American Eagle 55 gr

#3: 5 shots at 100Y w/ Silver Bear 62gr

#4: 5 shots at 100Y w/ pulled 62gr SS109 bullets + 25 gr WC844

#5: 10 shots at 100Y w/ pulled 62gr SS109 + 25gr WC844

Did both a 5 & 10 shot group with my reloaded 62gr SS109 rounds because I've got a sizeable stash to burn through that I developed for another gun. I bet if I work up my loads correctly, I can get sub-MOA with a $0.15 reloaded SS109 rounds.
62 GR SS109 w/ 25 GR WC844 Clocked in at:

2682 FPS

2687 FPS

2691 FPS

w/ a Beta Chrony placed 10 ft in front of barrel.

Previously, my 16" Carbine build w/ otherwise identical parts would shoot the same bullets at about 2600-2630 FPS; the midlength barrel gives a modest boost in velocity.
NOTE: I also tried to use Hornady's SuperVarmint factory ammo with this gun and it FAILED so hard. On the 2nd round, it caused a double fire which was interesting... And on examination of the fired brass, 3 of 5 of them had punctured primer cups. As per Hornady's recommendations, DON"T USE SUPERVARMINT ON A GAS GUN  w/ a <20" BARREL + RIFLE GAS SYSTEM.
TEST 2: 3x30RD MAG DUMPS

Results: passed; no malfunctions, no FTF/FTE. I realize this isn't a true torture test by any means; it's just what I could do with the bullets I brought to the range
TEST 3: 1/2 & 1/2 DRILL:

The VTAC 1/2 & 1/2 drill consists of firing at a 8" target from different distances and w/ different time limits from a standing position. 1st is from 20 yards, 10 seconds, 10 rounds; 2nd is 10 yards, 5 seconds, 10 rounds; 3rd is 5 yards, 2.5 seconds, 10 rounds. Goal is to get all rounds off within time period and try to get all rounds inside the 8" circle.

Results: 30/30 rounds in the 8" targets; this rifle has the most moderate recoil and muzzle flip of any rifle I've built to date. Previously, I've only been able to get 24-27/30 rounds into the 8" circle. The combination of the Battle-Comp, a midlength gas system, extra power spring and heavier ST-T2 buffer all contribute to a very manageable rifle. Shooting 10 rounds in 2.5 seconds @ 5Y was no problem; rifle cycled just fine and my POA never came out of the circle at any point.
Rifle balance is great; not something I want to hold in a shooting position all day long, but definitely something I can hold up to engage and do some shoot & scoot with with. Scope's generous eye relief allows for very fast target acquisition coming out of a low slinged ready to a shoot position. Also have to point out that the Mount-n-Slot CSAP hook is great for off-hand transitions using the MS2; I had previously attached my MS2 to the UBR via a QD swivel on the left side, and it made transitions awkward and things would snag sometimes; the CSAP eliminates the problem entirely.

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 3:42:31 PM EDT
Any grouping measured with a micrometer is gtg in my book.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 12:39:04 PM EDT
Awesome rifle!  Love the look, and the way it shoots!
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 4:20:00 PM EDT
Looks nice! Nice groups! Congrats on the build!
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 2:26:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By wagonwheel1:
Any grouping measured with a micrometer is gtg in my book.

+1
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:22:19 AM EDT
Nice build
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 12:57:40 PM EDT

i like the color contrast!
Top Top