Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2005 4:13:56 PM EDT
Here she is! http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/Da_Fixer/AR15.jpg

My very first Black Rifle!
I bought the stripped lower first and was gonna go with a complete kit off the internet but my local dealer (The Marksman in Mooresville) gave me a price on genuine RRA stuff that wasn't much more than the internet kits. I figured its better to keep my money local!
RRA stripped lower
RRA parts kit
RRA Mid-length A4 upper
GG&G rear BUIS
Vltor carbine stock (from Mooneys on the EE)
Genuine Real Steel Chinese red-dot Humble
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#1]
welcome to the club but now you need your black rifles friend the AK variant or else your black rifle will get sad and then eventually get their pistol variants for a fun happy family
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Great build, and I agree that local money is well spent.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#3]
How's the red dot?

I was contemplating on purchasing one from e-bay.  I know that some of the arfcommers will give you shit because it's not a real aimpoint, but who gives a shit.  For what I use my rifle for buying a real aimpoint would be a waste of money.

Does the flip up rear look directly through the center of the red dot?

Where did you buy it?

Oh by the way, I have the same rifle!!!!    Nice choice, I love my middy!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought the scope off ebay from some cat in Canada. He shipped fast and really couldn't ask for anything better than that. He does state that its an aimpoint replica. The flip up does cowitness with the red dot...however...depending on how you look thru the scope the red dot could be anywhere in the glass. If you don't set your head just right and line the red dot up with the frnt sight, the dot could be left/right/up/down of where you want to hit. I don't know if i'm explaining it clearly but the scope doesn't seem to work at all! If you zero the red dot and then shift your head the red dot is now in another place! If this is how a red dot scope works I don't think it's for me. I checked out a chinese eotech ripoff and that reticle stayed put...no matter how off center or canted your view was. I haven't looked thru an aimpoint but I would hope a $400 optic works better than this $60 one! Anyway, it looks cool but thats really about it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice build!

And yes... a real Aimpoint will work better than the POS knockoff you have mounted.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Great build, and I agree that local money is well spent.

+1 Nice Build
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:58:30 AM EDT
[#7]
another black rifle was born, job well done congrats
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:57:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I bought the scope off ebay from some cat in Canada. He shipped fast and really couldn't ask for anything better than that. He does state that its an aimpoint replica. The flip up does cowitness with the red dot...however...depending on how you look thru the scope the red dot could be anywhere in the glass. If you don't set your head just right and line the red dot up with the frnt sight, the dot could be left/right/up/down of where you want to hit. I don't know if i'm explaining it clearly but the scope doesn't seem to work at all! If you zero the red dot and then shift your head the red dot is now in another place! If this is how a red dot scope works I don't think it's for me. I checked out a chinese eotech ripoff and that reticle stayed put...no matter how off center or canted your view was. I haven't looked thru an aimpoint but I would hope a $400 optic works better than this $60 one! Anyway, it looks cool but thats really about it.

That's the cool thing about an Aimpoint. The red dot always shows point of impact. Your eye dosn't not need to be in perfect alignment with the scope to sight your shot. Yes, the dot is supposed to shift around as you move your head. Seems weird when your used to a normal reticle, but it works. (Not sure about a cheal clone, but that IS how Aimpoints work).

Good job on the rifle by the way!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:23:42 AM EDT
[#9]
It is a really nice looking weapon. Speaking of Aimpoints, my issue Aimpoint is awesome and has taken an extensive beating over in the big sandbox. So if money isnt an issue I would say go for the real deal but if the one you use now works for all your purposes, then dont worry what others think of. Over all I like the weapon you have.
Der
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top