Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2005 1:27:46 PM EDT
Hey guys,

First time posting on here.  My dad picked me up an AR -15 and I felt compelled to find info on these things.  Mine is a Hesse, at least that is what is on the lower.  I didn't see any other markings on the upper, barrel, or action thus far.  Just got it yesterday tho.  What can you guys tell me about this brand?  Thanks.

Brent
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

You're a very helpful person, aren't you?

Brent,

Hesse is about as low as one could go on the AR-15 totem pole.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Dont know about that brand but just wanted to say welcome aboard.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Slider

Hesse sucks.  I don't say that cause your a noob, but they are not known for putting out a quality product.  Bushmaster, RRA, STAG, CMT, CMMG are 10 times better than that rifle.  

Max
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe he'll get lucky and have a good experience for once with that brand.  Welcome to the board.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Brent,

Hesse is not known for putting out the greatest product in the world, but hopefully you won't have any issues.  Is it a carbon model, or the standard aluminum style receiver?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're a very helpful person, aren't you?

Brent,

Hesse is about as low as one could go on the AR-15 totem pole.

Wel, corporal, if he spent five minutes looking around the site he may have answered his own question.  I just thought it was someone trying to stir things up.

Sorry if I offended you, such sensitive people here.

So unwad your panties and get over it.

Travis
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Cmon guys... This hobby is a learning process, and supposed to be fun.. If I was given an AR, was looking for advice, and I got it trashed on my first post.......................Jeez.....Sometimes we need to think before we post.

BTW.. Slider.. Welcome aboard.. and shoot the shit out of that thing!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#9]
OK, Slider, I appologize for any disrespect I may have showed you.  That goes for Corporal too.

I personally know nothing about your rifle in question, but what the hell, a free AR has to be better than no AR!

Really, just go shoot it.  You might get lucky, and if you really like it come here often to learn which one you should buy next!

Welcome aboard and ENJOY!!!

Travis
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#10]
well for a first ar as a gift free is great!you will learn what you like/dis like and the next one will be different...and the next one...so on.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#11]
So, how 'bout it.  Got a range report yet?

Let us know how she shoots.

Thanks

Travis
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Maybe he'll get lucky and have a good experience for once with that brand.  Welcome to the board.

+1 and it was a gift.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#13]
So did your dad want to get you a gun but you were bad?...HAHA!

Give us some pictures,  history, ect.   Hesse does have the reputation for being the bottom of the barrel but not alot of info or posting on them.   Does your dad shoot ARs and if so what brand.

I'd like to see & shoot one simply because of the novelty  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Still no report?  No other post since this one either? Hmmm.................

No way, was I right?

Guess we will just keep waiting to see.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey guys.  Sorry, I was outta town.  I haven't shot it yet but I figured since I didn't see any posts on that brand that it prolly wasn't a board favorite, lol.  And to answer one question I saw, it is alum.  Well, I have lots of guns, an avid hunter, but never an ar and know nothing about them.  The closest I have to this is my two M1 carbines, one of which has never been fired.. woot.  Anyhow, I am up for a new gun and after I go shoot this one next week I will post my findings on how it shoots.  Thanks for the welcome and I forgive u Travis, you slut.

Brent
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh, and Luckypunk..  My dad doesn't shoot them, he collects sharps rifles.  But a month ago we were in a store and I guess he saw me looking at them and saw this one somewhere and just bought it for me, he tends to do dumb stuff like that.  Lucky me I guess, but I also asked my buddy about it, he's a cop and carries an m4 in his squad car, and he knew nothing of the brand that is why I came to this site to ask the experts.. hehe.. But thanks again to all the hellos and info, I am glad to get one for free, even if it isn't that good, it will no doubt make me want another.  I will get out and shoot it next week and let you guys know what I come up with.,.  

Brent
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:18:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Oh, and Luckypunk..  My dad doesn't shoot them, he collects sharps rifles.  But a month ago we were in a store and I guess he saw me looking at them and saw this one somewhere and just bought it for me, he tends to do dumb stuff like that.  Lucky me I guess, but I also asked my buddy about it, he's a cop and carries an m4 in his squad car, and he knew nothing of the brand that is why I came to this site to ask the experts.. hehe.. But thanks again to all the hellos and info, I am glad to get one for free, even if it isn't that good, it will no doubt make me want another.  I will get out and shoot it next week and let you guys know what I come up with.,.  

Brent

Yes please do and post some picts of the gun.  I thought the Hesses were carbon lowers?
I think if it is a functional aluminum (forged?) receiver it would be cool to build a "sleeper"-
like when someone hotrods a pinto
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:22:49 AM EDT
[#18]

A Hesse might be a great "first" AR, in the sense that if you are lucky, it will work FINE, and have no issues - in which case it's usually a bargain, and then you can save up for another one.

... because you WILL want another one eventually.  

And if something DOES go wrong, you'll learn a lot about the AR system by fixing it yourself - and useing the amazing resources on this web site.  You've definitely come to the right place.  These guys in this forum (and the other technical forums) can answer any question you can imagine.

Congrats on your new rifle!  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:09:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
These guys in this forum (and the other technical forums) can answer any question you can imagine.

You can say that again! Congrats!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Seriously, hope you enjoy the new AR, And looking forward to seeing you around here.

Travis
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#21]
stupid question, how do u post pics on this forum?

Thx.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Go to tinypic.com/ or similar and host image.

then look for the "image" tag in the insert tags box when you type out your message

and voila

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Some pics for ya, going to the range this weekend, let ya know how it shoots.

http://tinypic.com/b4hnvn.jpg

http://tinypic.com/b4howg.jpg
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Fixed it for you .  Nice rig .

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Some pics for ya, going to the range this weekend, let ya know how it shoots.

http://tinypic.com/b4hnvn.jpg

http://tinypic.com/b4howg.jpg

Here's to hoping you don't get blown up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Go shoot it and have fun.  

Welcome ot the boards and enjoy your new rifle.

One great thing about AR's is the ability to customize them to whatever you want.  Shoot, read the boards, get input, and enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Welcome and dont mind all these people here. You will have fun no matter the brand you have. Stay here and please post all your ?'s okay. welcome aboard soldier.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#28]
FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS BUY HESSE/VULCAN!  by the way,  type vulcan in the search. Vulcan is the same as hesse.  Vulcan is the name they changed too when Hesse got such a terrible reputation.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Did I read Hesse, as in Hesse Arms?

Is your Medical insurance paid up?

Life insurance?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#30]
A rifle is a rifle.  If it shoots then it doesn't really make a shit what stampings it has on it.  Half of these guys giving you a hard time will make just that argument when I tell them that I spent XXXX amount of dollars on my Colt 6920.  Ask them what kind of rifles they have, and ask them why they aren't willing to fork over the extra cash for M-4 feed ramps and better QC.

And in reality, they are right.  When you have more money to spend and want a certain brand for the 1-3% upgrade in realiability and/or for collecting purposes, then you can start asking about brands.  Until then, get out there and shoot some shit!   Looks like a fine rifle to me, and it sounds to me like you have a pretty bad ass dad.  Have fun with it!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't shoot it.  Try to return it immediately.  If he charges you a restocking fiee, pay it.  If he only gives you store credit, use it to order an Armalite, Bushmaster or Colt.

As we say in Germany, "Punkt, Schluss!"
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
A rifle is a rifle.  If it shoots then it doesn't really make a shit what stampings it has on it.  Half of these guys giving you a hard time will make just that argument when I tell them that I spent XXXX amount of dollars on my Colt 6920.  Ask them what kind of rifles they have, and ask them why they aren't willing to fork over the extra cash for M-4 feed ramps and better QC.

And in reality, they are right.  When you have more money to spend and want a certain brand for the 1-3% upgrade in realiability and/or for collecting purposes, then you can start asking about brands.  Until then, get out there and shoot some shit!   Looks like a fine rifle to me, and it sounds to me like you have a pretty bad ass dad.  Have fun with it!

There's a difference between going from "decent to high quality" and "potential kB".
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Wow!  A bunch of Hesse haters here.  lol .  Like I said earlier, I don't know much about ar's, but this one was free, and after inspection is in great working order.  It has made me want to go get another.  But until then, Im gonna shoot the shit outta it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Also, this blowing up shit, please elaborate on who u know had one blow up on them?  Also, if someone else here has owned one in the past or still does, please chime in.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Also, this blowing up shit, please elaborate on who u know had one blow up on them?  Also, if someone else here has owned one in the past or still does, please chime in.  

I forgot my at the end of my last post.

Just be careful with what you feed it and you should be fine.  Try feeding it .223 ammo, not 5.56. I'd suggest feeding it Wolf to start (low pressure and cheap) but I'm almost afraid that that's asking for trouble, just because it's feeding spotty ammo into a gun that has a reputation for being of spotty quality.

In any case, good luck.

Also, when looking around for information, look for information on "Vulcan", AFAIK they are the same company.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Slider , if you were a paying member you could search the archive and find first hand accounts of all the AR15 members who had major issues with Hesse Arms products. I found 20 on one search for "Hesse". It probably won't blow up, however they have had and still do (Under the Vulcan name - tryng to escape their reputation) have serious quality control issues, possibly the worst in the business. Most of the guys here saying one rifle is as good as another have not been here long enough to remember these first hand horror stories and see the images of rifles that were literally falling apart.

Maybe you got  extremely lucky and got a good one.
Maybe all the Hesse components have been swapped out by now for better ones. It can't be new as Hesse folded quite a while ago, and Robert Hesse reorganized under the Vulcan name.

Nevertheless, Good luck with it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Hey guys,

First time posting on here.  My dad picked me up an AR -15 and I felt compelled to find info on these things.  Mine is a Hesse, at least that is what is on the lower.  I didn't see any other markings on the upper, barrel, or action thus far.  Just got it yesterday tho.  What can you guys tell me about this brand?  Thanks.

Brent

model1sales might be better. let me look......... yep it is.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:45:12 PM EDT
[#38]
In my book a free AR is better than the best AR out there! He's shooting it...not fighting a private war or using it as a duty gun.  If it FTF or FTE every once and a while he'll clear the weapon and go right on shooting.  If something breaks he can go home and order a new part.  Certain weapons serve certain purposes.  If he was going to use it to possibly defend his life I'd say yeah you better move on to a better rifle...but he's not.  And like I said before... IT WAS FREE!

Edited to add:  Welcome aboard Slider713!  I've learned alot here and you will too!  Mind the trolls here and there... this is a great group of guys (and gals).
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:24:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Good response Slider.  Everyone that's talking all the crap around here are just a bunch of brand whores.  I have a Colt, however, I'd be happy having any AR especially if it was free.  Don't be worrying about anything blowing up.  They're just blowing smoke up your ass.  Worst case scenario your gun may not fire when you expect it to.  Maybe you'll have some FTFs/FTEs or some very inconsequential mishaps occur, but I doubt it.  In fact, I'm willing to bet you'll have nothing but good experiences with your new AR.  Just go out and shoot it and enjoy it.  Ignore all the naysayers and grow some thick skin.  This board is loaded with assholes that will try to rain on anyone and everyones parade.  It's just part of the culture.  You learn who the real people are in a matter of time, and you'll soon be ignoring all the asshats that have nothing better to do than to trash your posts and make themselves look like fucktards.

Welcome to ARFCOM.  The #1 Gun Sight on the internet!

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:42:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks... Im not mad, I asked for their opinion and I respect whatever anyone has to say.. That being said, I am not a gun idiot.  I am glad to get a free gun and will try it out, if it sux, it sux, I will go on shooting my M1's, better working weapon anyhow imho.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:34:14 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
 Everyone that's talking all the crap around here are just a bunch of brand whores.  

Right, because all of us saying Hesse Arms has poor quality control are "Brand Whores" and are just making this stuff up .

niceguymr, Believe you want.

Slider, It could be any issues are fixed on it, AFAIK there was nothing wrong with the receivers themselves. If you do have problems with it, don't come down hard on the AR15 platform. The rifle is only as good as the manufacturer who put it together.

Again, wish you the best of luck with it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 Everyone that's talking all the crap around here are just a bunch of brand whores.  

Right, because all of us saying Hesse Arms has poor quality control are "Brand Whores" and are just making this stuff up .

All I'm saying is that most people here like to stick to designer labels, and I wonder how many people that have responded in this thread have ever actually handled a Hesse Arms AR15.  Trust me, I wouldn't buy anything other than a Colt, Bushy, etc.  But I don't go around bashing brands that I've never used just because I know I have the best
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:00:21 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All I'm saying is that most people here like to stick to designer labels, and I wonder how many people that have responded in this thread have ever actually handled a Hesse Arms AR15.  Trust me, I wouldn't buy anything other than a Colt, Bushy, etc.  But I don't go around bashing brands that I've never used just because I know I have the best

I have had an opportunity to handle and shoot both Hesse and Vulcan products, though I have never owned any. The Hesse HAR15 rifles for the most part could be tinkered with and many parts replaced, and made to function OK, as I said AFAIK the stripped receivers are Aluminum and seem to be OK. Vulcan V15 is a different story since the uppers and lowers are a fiber compostion, the upper receiver threads strip easily and the composite cracks  on the uppers. These cannot be fixed when they go bad.

Of the two the Hesse would be preferable, though I would tend to want to replace the LPK with quality components, as well as look closely at function of the BCG and buffer assembly. Here are some pics of a Hesse issue where poor quality control and substandard materials created an undesirable wear issue.

Hesse Arms Buffer wear
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#44]
DR, thanks for the info.  I will further inspect my rifle for these problems.  And for the record to guys that might be replying, I never said that this gun or brand was the shiznit, I just said I got a free one and Im a newbie to the ar world.  But again, I do appreciate all of your opinions and comments.  I have many guns, all of which are of top quality, I don't buy crap and I take pride when at the range people come over and check out my hardware.  But in this case, I didn't buy this weapon, I got it as a gift.  It is not new, obviously, but looks like it will be fun to tinker with.  After what you guys are telling me and after doing some research on my own, I don't think I will be putting any money into it, probably just save up for something better.  Thanks again tho  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
DR, thanks for the info.  I will further inspect my rifle for these problems.  And for the record to guys that might be replying, I never said that this gun or brand was the shiznit, I just said I got a free one and Im a newbie to the ar world.  But again, I do appreciate all of your opinions and comments.  I have many guns, all of which are of top quality, I don't buy crap and I take pride when at the range people come over and check out my hardware.  But in this case, I didn't buy this weapon, I got it as a gift.  It is not new, obviously, but looks like it will be fun to tinker with.  After what you guys are telling me and after doing some research on my own, I don't think I will be putting any money into it, probably just save up for something better.  Thanks again tho  

AR15s are a lot of fun to tinker with. They are so modular it's crazy and you can get wild with all the possible configurations. I heard it called the "Lego Rifle" and it really is true. Again, if you have a sound lower receiver, then anything else can be upgraded and modified easily, with a few tools.(if you live anywhere near the Dallas, TX area I have all the tools necessary for a complete build/unit level maintenance including rebarreling, etc.)

One word of advice if you are new to AR15s: Make sure you get good Colt or USGI mags and use quality ammo the first time you shoot it. Mags and ammo can be a source of many problems and you want to make sure you find a baseline for the rifle without introducing external issues caused by mags and ammo.
Stay away from the blued steel no name mags. USGI mags are only $15 most places. I would stay away from Wolf, S&B and Olympic brand ammo until you at least establish the rifle is working OK. Winchester White box, Q3131A, Remington green box, Lake City XM193 and XM855 are all good reasonably priced ammo. After you do that, you can experiment with whatever ammo you want. AR15s also like to be lubed well, especially the bolt group. Break-free CLP is a good one to start with to establish a working baseline.

Be sure and give us a range report after you shoot her.

_DR
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:44:34 PM EDT
[#46]
You got it, and I am in Ft. Worth.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Well, took her out to the range today.  And.........  The results are in.......   Got it dialed in at 50yds and took it to 100yds.  With ultramatch ammo, scored with 5 shots a 1 inch group.  Will get the pic put up here tommorrow.  All in all, I think I got a bargain for a free weapon, with no problems, FTE's, Blowin up, etc...   I was surprised it shoots that well and I am gonna start loadin some bullets to tighten that group up...

Brent
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:26:22 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Well, took her out to the range today.  And.........  The results are in.......   Got it dialed in at 50yds and took it to 100yds.  With ultramatch ammo, scored with 5 shots a 1 inch group.  Will get the pic put up here tommorrow.  All in all, I think I got a bargain for a free weapon, with no problems, FTE's, Blowin up, etc...   I was surprised it shoots that well and I am gonna start loadin some bullets to tighten that group up...

Brent

Outstanding!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top