Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/10/2005 8:07:07 PM EDT
FINALLY I have my black rifle!!have
Anyway, it is a Model 1 upper on an Olympic lower Car-15.  I feel like I got a good deal on it and am very happy thus far. I bought it through Guns America.  Next I plan on building my own, an A3 long range set up.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/ozzy1038/CAR-15.jpg
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Mount your flashlight out farther or you will get a giant shadow of your FSB and glare in your eys....

You may want to pull some of those loose wires and items off to get a good feel for the weapon.  If its a paper/ range only carbine, I guess it doesn't matter.

Congratulations on the new carbine.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:30:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice. I love the basic CAR's. Here's my sons and mine. And as Stick mentioned, you’ll notice the placement of both light lenses, slightly at or past the FSB.

My sons:

Mine:

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:40:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the tip on the light.  It doesn't seem to shadow the FSB or be a problem where it's at, but I'll take your word for it and give it a try.  I put it where it's at because I have a Z/step mount on it and don't like the gap that it leaves between the handguard and the mount.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:44:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Very nice. Enjoy plinking with it.

Just curious tho, does your butt stock and handguard really have a reddish tint to it?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:28:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Before I sold my M4, I had one of these installed. Never had a problem with it comming loose and worked great.

Front Sight Tri Rail
www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?sku=ARR%2D031&thru=fr&mscssid=BH4RQU091X4P9NNWFK1TTM4HGH9H9EP0
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:34:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Inner tube instead of rubber band!

[
:)]
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#7]
nice set up ozzy1038
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Inner tube instead of rubber band!
:)]

I'm going to I just have to dig it out of my closet.  It's a little messy right now.  I just took the photo right after I put the stuff on.

Quoted:
Very nice. h

Just curious tho, does your butt stock and handguard really have a reddish tint to it?

Yes.  The guy I purchased it from lives in the desert and gave it a light coat of Krylon Fusion to cut down on the solar gain.  I plan on refinishing them to either coyote or o.d. .  
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Nice. I love the basic CAR's. Here's my sons and mine. And as Stick mentioned, you’ll notice the placement of both light lenses, slightly at or past the FSB.

My sons:

www.hunt101.com/img/349408-big.jpg

Mine:

www.hunt101.com/img/350097-big.jpg

QUIB....  who's light mount??  I don't have a FF fore-end, and I like the mount you have on your "regular" one.   Thanks....
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My sons:

www.hunt101.com/img/349408-big.jpg

Mine:

www.hunt101.com/img/350097-big.jpg

QUIB....  who's light mount??  I don't have a FF fore-end, and I like the mount you have on your "regular" one.   Thanks....

It’s a piece of Weaver rail bolted to the hand guards. The Maryland AR15 site has the instructions.

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/makeaflashlightmount.msnw
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is my CAR after a little paint treatment.  It was supposed to match my Para P14 in desert tan but it looks a little more grey which I am beginning to like. It is pretty close though.  It is similar to the grey on the HK's.  It was Krylon Fusion river rock.  All in all I'm happy until I feel like changing it again. http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/ozzy1038/IMG_0211adjust.jpg

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#12]
looks great!

congrats
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:34:10 AM EDT
[#13]
next time, take the picture outside during the day, I thought I saw white paint at first.

it dont matter if it is cloudy or sunny, it will give you a better picture everytime.

I need to get me a new A2 upper, damn I can taste it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:50:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I sure hope to christ that isn't a BSA red dot.

If that is the case take off all that cheap shit and use the rifle as is.

We all mess up and use cheap stuff at first, but then over time we dump it and get quality stuff. After a little while you will understand what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:29:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

We all mess up and use cheap stuff at first, but then over time we dump it and get quality stuff. After a little while you will understand what I'm talking about.

Easy man, the guy just got his first AR and your jumping his shit just because he can't put a freakin Acog on it right away? Part of the fun is putting shit all over these rifles, we do just because we can. Like you said over time we figure out what works for each of us, maybe, just maybe for all he plans to use his AR, r that BSA will serve him fine , for you and I it may be different, but that's life. I know it's just the internet but damn, shitty comments can still sting.

Nice rifle man, have fun with it and shoot safe
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:34:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
next time, take the picture outside during the day, I thought I saw white paint at first.

it dont matter if it is cloudy or sunny, it will give you a better picture everytime.

Thanks I am aware of that.  It's tough with snow everywhere and my schedule to make that happen.

Why it sure is.  Did you read my first post in this thread?  Are you sure you don't want to slam my rifle also because it's an Olympic lower?  I know how fond everyone is of those as well.  My flashlight isn't a surefire either or some other $100.00+ flashlight.  I got it for $30.00.  So it's probably a cheap POS too, that will fail right?  

I understand you MAY have been trying to be helpful and offer some advice but your approach needs a little refining.  Kind of like me saying, "You really are a condescending asshole".  "Eventually though you'll learn my sage wisdom and change your ways".  It doesn't really work does it?  It kinda puts a bad taste in your mouth from the beginning no matter what you say at the end.

Let's face it you can't get a good/great red dot without laying down a few hundred dollars. Until I decide to spend the money on that, my BSA will (hopefully) suffice.  I have too many more important projects going on to worry about that right now.

Merry Christmas!!!!!

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:39:40 AM EDT
[#17]
AND A VERY NICE ONE YOU HAVE, LET US KNOW HOW SHE SHOOTS
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:40:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Easy man, the guy just got his first AR and your jumping his shit just because he can't put a freakin Acog on it right away? Part of the fun is putting shit all over these rifles, we do just because we can. Like you said over time we figure out what works for each of us, maybe, just maybe for all he plans to use his AR, r that BSA will serve him fine , for you and I it may be different, but that's life. I know it's just the internet but damn, shitty comments can still sting.

Nice rifle man, have fun with it and shoot safe

Thanks for your kind words.  The few... The proud... The non judgemental!!!   <--  A dying breed indeed!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:12:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Why it sure is.  Did you read my first post in this thread?  Are you sure you don't want to slam my rifle also because it's an Olympic lower?  I know how fond everyone is of those as well.  My flashlight isn't a surefire either or some other $100.00+ flashlight.  I got it for $30.00.  So it's probably a cheap POS too, that will fail right?  

I understand you MAY have been trying to be helpful and offer some advice but your approach needs a little refining.  Kind of like me saying, "You really are a condescending asshole".  "Eventually though you'll learn my sage wisdom and change your ways".  It doesn't really work does it?  It kinda puts a bad taste in your mouth from the beginning no matter what you say at the end.

Let's face it you can't get a good/great red dot without laying down a few hundred dollars. Until I decide to spend the money on that, my BSA will (hopefully) suffice.  I have too many more important projects going on to worry about that right now.

Merry Christmas!!!!!

It was more like tough love.

Man I have wasted untold hundreds of dollars on cheap gear and am really mad that I did before I figured out what I needed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:24:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice-looking carbine ozzy. I have been using my Bushy 20" HBAR for three years and I'm seriously jonzing for a nice little (lightweight!) carbine. But I went an blew it because I am paying-off an M1A instead right now. I'll get around to a little AR that I can bling-out eventually.

BTW... I have a BSA red dot that's mounted on my stainless 10/22. I've been shooting it for years and it's dead-on accurate. Granted, there's no recoil to worry about. But it's been a GREAT little red dot. If I was rich or going into battle, I'd want an ACOG or Aimpoint, or at least an Eotech. But you're red dot will likely be fine until you can upgrade. There are a lot of gun and bling snobs around here. Some of us just get what we can afford right now. It's not about the gun, it's really about how well you use it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Nice-looking carbine ozzy. I have been using my Bushy 20" HBAR for three years and I'm seriously jonzing for a nice little (lightweight!) carbine. But I went an blew it because I am paying-off an M1A instead right now. I'll get around to a little AR that I can bling-out eventually.

BTW... I have a BSA red dot that's mounted on my stainless 10/22. I've been shooting it for years and it's dead-on accurate. Granted, there's no recoil to worry about. But it's been a GREAT little red dot. If I was rich or going into battle, I'd want an ACOG or Aimpoint, or at least an Eotech. But you're red dot will likely be fine until you can upgrade. There are a lot of gun and bling snobs around here. Some of us just get what we can afford right now. It's not about the gun, it's really about how well you use it.

It's all about the bling isn't it? No it isn't. It's about reliability and quality.

I own a BSA and am happy to say it shot right off my gun within 40 shots on my AR-15. You will also notice that if you put the sight on a table and move your eye around, the red dot WILL MOVE.

I understand that not everyone can afford quality. What you can do is stop wasting your money on junk and save it up for something good.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I do agree with you ALPHA9000 for the most part.  It was just the way you said it. had.

I almost feel that it is part of China's plan to take us over from the inside out with all the crap they sell in this country.  Think of all the money that HUGE communist country makes off us.  We are supporting the enemy.  I believe if we were to take on China we'd be screwed.  They have the numbers by far and the government to make them fall in line.  I hate to say it but our military is spread too thin.  This is one of the reasons I own guns.  If we ever get invaded etc...  I'm not going to make it easy on them if I can help it.  Enough of my conspiracy (Wal Mart) theory.  HopefullyI actually fell asleep with it in my arms the other day in my recliner.  What a nice nap.he
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Life is a learning process.  We all started somewhere. Based on what we can afford.

My first CAR I built in 1982, using a machined (soft) Oly SGW lower, noname upper with purple anodizing, cheapo barrel, etc. It worked, I later had the lower replaced by Oly, but sold it.  

Nice start!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I have used a BSA Reddot on my .50 Beowulf for quit a while when I'm not using my scope and it has held up great . It holds zero and is quit accurate , no problems yet . Yea its cheap but what the heck !
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top