Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2006 3:41:22 PM EDT
SOB!!! Just got a new Jan. 2006 512 and the SOB cants just as badly as my Troy BUIS that's in for warranty right now. It's not nearly as critical as the BUIS, but still...annoying to say the least. I think I'll live with it, but otherwise DAMN...this baby is NICE!!! Can't wait to punch paper with it. The cant is very minor and the REAL armchair operators would cry or I'd post pics. How did EOTech handle their canting issues with customers?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
SOB!!! Just got a new Jan. 2006 512 and the SOB cants just as badly as my Troy BUIS that's in for warranty right now. It's not nearly as critical as the BUIS, but still...annoying to say the least. I think I'll live with it, but otherwise DAMN...this baby is NICE!!! Can't wait to punch paper with it. The cant is very minor and the REAL armchair operators would cry or I'd post pics. How did EOTech handle their canting issues with customers?

How do you know when it was made?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine cans.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Vendors replacing these items must be taking it...
Upper recievers surely must be coming thru with spec problems.
I had a RRA upper with barrel nut threads which were not concentric. Float tube was not straight and I was sure it was a bad float tube. I hounded Armalite when it was the RRA upper out.
There are a lot of customers recieving gracious service from these makers/vendors.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you know when it was made?

The sticker on the bottom. Hell, the box says it was made last Tue.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:56:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think a replacement 512 would do it. It'd have to be a new piece on the ejection side all together I'd imagine...and this would also REQUIRE a trip back to the factory since the hood would have to come off.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:20:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Does it cant in the same direction?  On the same weapon?  If so, are you positive it's all these accessories and not the rail itself?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:26:45 AM EDT
[#7]
It cants to the same side, I'm not saying the rail is not to blame, what I'm saying is I'm surprised it hasn't been more of an issue till recently it seems, and that it's also surprising that Troy and EOTech seem to be most effected. Troy redesigned their clamp so their sites would work on these supposedly jacked up uppers, and I'm wondering if EOTech couldn't try a similar fix. Jacked up uppers seem to vary from LMT, RRA, Stag, Samson (FF rails), Mega, etc...etc...

Why these issues all of the sudden and with so many different brands?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:09:01 AM EDT
[#8]
how bad is the cant? My 511 leans ever so slightly out of being perfectly level, but it doesn't affect the accuracy at all...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#9]

This is how bad my EOTech sits on my rail and it is NOT the rail.  This EOTech sits like this on EVERY rifle or rail that I have placed it on.  This is definitely the last EOTech that I will ever purchase and I discourage anyone that I come into contact from purchasing one also.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:57:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Bingo, mine cants exactly as his does...even on my Samson rails.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:59:11 AM EDT
[#11]
IN tropoper4255 I lived in IN for 38 years before moveing to Punta Gorda FL!

I want a EOTECH because of the 1 moa dot.

I already have a ML2 and wanted to get something abit more percise 1moa dot!

IM SCARED TO SPEND THE CASH FOR THIS REASON!

Rich
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
img212.imageshack.us/img212/8225/img08181zu.jpg
img212.imageshack.us/img212/3043/img08155wb.jpg

This is how bad my EOTech sits on my rail and it is NOT the rail.  This EOTech sits like this on EVERY rifle or rail that I have placed it on.  This is definitely the last EOTech that I will ever purchase and I discourage anyone that I come into contact from purchasing one also.

Mine does the same thing!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Have any of you brought this to EOTech's attention? If so, what did they have to say? I have no doubt they'll take care of us, but what I'm wondering is how...???
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I had a RRA upper with barrel nut threads which were not concentric. Float tube was not straight and I was sure it was a bad float tube. I hounded Armalite when it was the RRA upper out.
There are a lot of customers recieving gracious service from these makers/vendors.

Granted it is the week of the SHOT Show, but I sent RRA several emails the week before about a New RRA DEA Upper I purchased that has some of the ghastliest Feedramps hacked in I have ever seen.  No response.........I'll give it a week after the SHOT show and a few more emails and maybe a phone call for a response.  If nothing after that, I will never purchase anything RRA again.

One the other hand I cracked the lens of my Aimpoint 3x Magnifier (most likely tightened the ring too much) and contacted Aimpoint and had nothing but same day (if not in the same hour)correspondence.  Mike (Aimpoint's rep) told me to send it in so the engineers could look at it.  Left my PO on Wednesday and they had a NEW unit delivered to me Monday morning!  Ironically Aimpoint was gearing up for the same big show............

ETA:  INTrooper4255, do you have a peeny stuck underneath there? WOW, my 551 is canted a bit, but nothing like that.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
IN tropoper4255 I lived in IN for 38 years before moveing to Punta Gorda FL!

I want a EOTECH because of the 1 moa dot.

I already have a ML2 and wanted to get something abit more percise 1moa dot!

IM SCARED TO SPEND THE CASH FOR THIS REASON!

Rich

Buy an Aimpoint M3, that is going to be my next optic purchase! If you end up with an EOTech that leans like this, you're stuck.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:18:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Have any of you brought this to EOTech's attention? If so, what did they have to say? I have no doubt they'll take care of us, but what I'm wondering is how...???

I did contact them, they sent me a replacement that leaned also, just not quite as much.  EOTech is in denial about it, they just blame it on the rifles receiver, saying it is "out of spec."  If that is the case, my Colt, my cousins Colt, a buddies Rock River and my Troy MRF-C are all "out of spec."
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Granted it is the week of the SHOT Show, but I sent RRA several emails the week before about a New RRA DEA Upper I purchased that has some of the ghastliest Feedramps hacked in I have ever seen.  No response.........I'll give it a week after the SHOT show and a few more emails and maybe a phone call for a response.  If nothing after that, I will never purchase anything RRA again.
www.hunt101.com/img/373463.JPG

One the other hand I cracked the lens of my Aimpoint 3x Magnifier (most likely tightened the ring too much) and contacted Aimpoint and had nothing but same day (if not in the same hour)correspondence.  Mike (Aimpoint's rep) told me to send it in so the engineers could look at it.  Left my PO on Wednesday and they had a NEW unit delivered to me Monday morning!  Ironically Aimpoint was gearing up for the same big show............

ETA:  INTrooper4255, do you have a peeny stuck underneath there? WOW, my 551 is canted a bit, but nothing like that.

Nope, nothing underneath it.  Right now, it along with my YHM EOTech riser is at an engineer/gunsmith.  He was initially going to mill the riser to fit the EOTech, but he is going to drill and tap one side of teh riser and use set screws to be able to adjust the level of the EOTech.  WHAT A PIECE OF WORK!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#18]
IN TROOPER

I just order the Eotech551 from SWFA !

I have a LMT upper we will see if it cants? If so I will ask for a REFUND!

I bought a Aimpoint with the 3moa and after a few weeks the Dot Became deformed??
They told me that its just me and my eyes?  So I traded it in for a ML2 4moa its fine!
I still dont belive it was my eyes! I have other red dots and they look just Fine!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
IN TROOPER

I just order the Eotech551 from SWFA !

I have a LMT upper we will see if it cants? If so I will ask for a REFUND!

I bought a Aimpoint with the 3moa and after a few weeks the Dot Became deformed??
They told me that its just me and my eyes?  So I traded it in for a ML2 4moa its fine!
I still dont belive it was my eyes! I have other red dots and they look just Fine!

I hope that you have better luck than I have with your EOTech.  Let us know if it tilts.  Looks like there is a lot of it going around.

EDIT:  But, like I posted in a another thread about this same topic.  When I bout my EOTech, the dealer specifically said that once the optic is moutned, it cannot be returned for a refund.  How are you supposed to know if these things are going to lean unless you mount them  It's a catch 22!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Haven't had a problem with my EOTech on 2 different uppers and I reccommend them every chance I get.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I have 2 511's and a 512 and 4 uppers from RRA, Ameetec, LMT, and CMT. None of mine do that.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.hunt101.com/img/373463.JPG

Nope, nothing underneath it.  Right now, it along with my YHM EOTech riser is at an engineer/gunsmith.  He was initially going to mill the riser to fit the EOTech, but he is going to drill and tap one side of teh riser and use set screws to be able to adjust the level of the EOTech.  WHAT A PIECE OF WORK!

Let us know how it works out for you.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I just bought a 512 two weeks ago.  The date one the bottom of the box is 1-10-2006.  I sets straight as can be.  It's mounted on an A2 upper on the carry handle.  Can't wait to shoot it.

Maybe it's your mount.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#24]
In my case, I'm not using any mounts...just the factory EOTech. GG&G needs to machine us a proper mount more similar to the one Troy did as seen in the Troy BUIS thread in this forum. It would require removal of the hood and void the warranty, but I guess that's what we have to work with.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I just bought a 512 two weeks ago.  The date one the bottom of the box is 1-10-2006.  I sets straight as can be.  It's mounted on an A2 upper on the carry handle.  Can't wait to shoot it.

Maybe it's your mount.

Nope, it sits canted when it is on the YHM riser and on the rail itself.  It also sits canted on my Troy MRF-C.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe it's your mount.

Nope, it sits canted when it is on the YHM riser and on the rail itself.  It also sits canted on my Troy MRF-C.

I think you're lying just to keep beating this horse named "Eotech made me angry, so now I spread bad press"

I can see their mounting system having issues on out of spec uppers, but you are now claiming that 2 of them (your original and the replacement) sit crooked on several uppers, mounts and FF Railed HG's.

Bullshit!

At this point, even if you managed to post pics of it sitting crooked on 20 different mounts and uppers I would just figure you rigged it.

Maybe you were hoping that by continuing your campaign you might gain credibility. Nope, you just seem like a nut.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:49:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe it's your mount.

I think you're lying just to keep beating this horse named "Eotech made me angry, so now I spread bad press"

I can see their mounting system having issues on out of spec uppers, but you are now claiming that 2 of them (your original and the replacement) sit crooked on several uppers, mounts and FF Railed HG's.

Bullshit!

At this point, even if you managed to post pics of it sitting crooked on 20 different mounts and uppers I would just figure you rigged it.

Maybe you were hoping that by continuing your campaign you might gain credibility. Nope, you just seem like a nut.

Yeah, sure guy, I sit around all day just to rig up faulty photos of my sight.  These are the only photos that I have ever taken of it and the exact ones that I sent to EOTech when I contacted them about the  problem.  I suppose all of the other people with problems like this are lying also.

Get a life and have some more cool aid there!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Yeah, sure guy, I sit around all day just to rig up faulty photos of my sight.  These are the only photos that I have ever taken of it and the exact ones that I sent to EOTech when I contacted them about the  problem.  I suppose all of the other people with problems like this are lying also.

Oh, I believe you had trouble with your first one, even your second one, ON YOUR UPPER. I even believe you might have had trouble on a friends upper (out of spec uppers are not a rarity).

What I don't believe is that it sits crooked on several uppers and mounts and railed HG's. That's where I think you are stretching the story to enlarge the bad press.

Eotech doesn't have a problem, the industry has a problem with 1913 rails that are either out of spec or built on one end of the extreme spread of allowable tolerances within the spec.

I'm not special, I don't have some special connection for pre-tested, perfect Eotech's, mounts, and uppers, yet as I said, I have two 511's and a 512 which seem to work fine, with no cant on my 4 uppers from 4 different manufacturers.

ETA: I only have two 511's, not 3.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:09:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, I believe you had trouble with your first one, even your second one, ON YOUR UPPER. I even believe you might have had trouble on a friends upper (out of spec uppers are not a rarity).

What I don't believe is that it sits crooked on several uppers and mounts and railed HG's. That's where I think you are stretching the story to enlarge the bad press.

Eotech doesn't have a problem, the industry has a problem with 1913 rails that are either out of spec or built on one end of the extreme spread of allowable tolerances within the spec.

I'm not special, I don't have some special connection for pre-tested, perfect Eotech's, mounts, and uppers, yet as I said, I have 3 511's and a 512 which seem to work fine, with no cant on my 4 uppers from 4 different manufacturers.

I would gladly place this sight on ANY rifle out there and bet that it will sit canted.  As I said, It has sat canted on every rifle that it is placed on.  Another trooper just bought a new Rock River and I am anxious to get the sight back and try it on it.  It will sit canted!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm NOT saying the rails aren't out of spec, what I'm saying is that companies (in this case Troy & EOTech) need to design their mounting systems to allow for this variance so the product will sit straight. We're not talking even a fraction of 1/64 of an inch here folks. I'm sure it can be done.

Just to avoid this turning into a crap fest, I'll stop talking about it and live with my EOTech...I LOVE the damn thing as it is, was just disappointed to see another canted purchase. It doesn't seem quite bad as my Troy was now that I'm back home with it in my hands...
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:41:17 AM EDT
[#31]
223  w/ RRA

Hey man your Rifle is okay!

Sure they should of dry lube/Teflon after the grinding!

Bushmaster did the very same thing for me except the dry lube/teflon coated afterwards it was my Tack driver 20HBAR

Anyway I think your rifle is okay! you can always ask RRA to put a Finish on the upper!

IN TROOPER

They better take it back?
Its suppose to come today I had it next day delivery!

Does your eotech hold a zero?

I would write and call every day and ask for a refund! From the Dealer

And if the dealer wont honor you then go to EOTECH!

Can I ask who the DEALER IS?

I let you know tonight if my LMT upper is out of specs?  I mean the Eotech is Canted!

Rich

BTW

IN TROOPER dont pay attention to some of the guys on the forum!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Eotech just came! I let ya know here in a few.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#33]
UP DATE!  Man that was simple!

The 551 from SWFA SEEMS to Fit Right on my M4 14.5 LMT upper!

I wish I could mount more towards the delta ring but it hits my Fat Ass M4 Hand Guards!
Thats the Only reason I bought the 551 is  because its smaller than the AA 552

Well I guess Im lucky!

And Thanks to the SWFA and Staff for there SPEEDY Delivery! Next day air cost  a arm and a leg!

Off to the range to test out my new set up VTLOR,LMT 14.5 upper, and the 551 eotech

To IN TROOPER I wish you all the Luck and I think the dealer should of gave you cash back! UNLESS Damage!  WICH wont happen when you put it on the Very First time!
Catch 22 SUCKS
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Haven't had a problem with my EOTech on 2 different uppers and I reccommend them every chance I get.

WIZZO

+1 Tex78

Hope this gets sorted out.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:14:59 AM EDT
[#35]
INTrooper4255 IM sent
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:04:33 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a 552 that i mounted on a no name upper I bought years ago and when I tightened the screw that sucker cokcked to the left. I tried it on another upper and it sat straight. Hummm, ok crap upper. I thought about replacing it but why does the BUIS stit straight. More thoughts........played with it some more. Dam, it's now straight. WTF  What I found on my upper and with that eothingy is if I slapped it on and cranked the screw down it would cock. I had to play with it and make sure the sliding locking gizzmo on the right side of the eotech base seats correctly or it can ride up on the 45 degree edge of the picatinny rail. Looks like they have clearance machined into it to account for different rails and it might take a effort to get it to seat.

I'm not saying they didnt squirt out some bad eotechs but the mount isn't as plug and play as it seems after playing with mine.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:53:30 AM EDT
[#37]
CHUCK1,
I had the same results. I mounted it on an OLY and Bushy.  It did what yours did.  I took it off remounted it and its fine now.  I love my Eotech!!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#38]
I just got my EOtech 512 in Friday off ebay, it was inspected on Feb 01, 2006.  It sits on my RRA flattop perfectly.  I'm very satisfied.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#39]
For the record, I removed mine and torqued 3/4 turn past resistance (per manual) 2-3 times and it seems to be a lot better, but still could use a bit more, IMO. Crazy...

EDIT: I only got it around to about 1/2 turn by hand but I figured this was close enough since I couldn't get it any tighter.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Wow...just did it twice more paying more attention to where the 3/4 turn point was and I now it has a much less noticeable cant that's definately not worth messing with further. (Unless they release a new mount) One question, they mean 3/4 of a turn as in 270 degrees and not 135 degrees right? I had to put needle noses to my nickel to get to 3/4 of a turn and the damned coin bent before I even got all the way there and I WAS paying extra attention to the initial "resistance" of the weaver bolt. Maybe a little clarificaion / elaboration in the manual is in order?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
One question, they mean 3/4 of a turn as in 270 degrees and not 135 degrees right? I had to put needle noses to my nickel to get to 3/4 of a turn and the damned coin bent before I even got all the way there and I WAS paying extra attention to the initial "resistance" of the weaver bolt. Maybe a little clarificaion / elaboration in the manual is in order?

Does anyone know anything about this?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Eotec's cant because of the railgrabber mounts. This is a GG&G, but gives a pretty good idea of where the rail indexes the "claw". See the differences in height and area where the grab occurs?

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#43]
you guys think the GGG accucam would have reduce the canting>? since they are adjustable for rail variation\tension.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Eotec's cant because of the railgrabber mounts. This is a GG&G, but gives a pretty good idea of where the rail indexes the "claw". See the differences in height and area where the grab occurs?

img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/jsinz/DSC00462.jpg

So, why do none of mine cant?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rails out of spec?

Is your mount the same as pictured?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rails out of spec?

yes it is, but the differnce in hight is not an indication of a different angle, or something that would cause a tilt, just that they are different lengths like this.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#47]

I wont say they cant make a bad product, I had one go bad and they couldnt replace mine fast enough. No questions asked.

Just like this guy who had a problem, all you have to do is tell them, they have always made good on it everytime I have ever known about.

The only thing better then their product, is their customer service.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:12:12 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rails out of spec?

yes it is, but the differnce in hight is not an indication of a different angle, or something that would cause a tilt, just that they are different lengths like this.

www.goobage.com/pics/temp/eo.jpg

Hmmm, good point.

I don't know the answer, but do know my Eotech is canted, but it does not bother me a whole lot.....Dot on target....squeeze.......boom......hole in target.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Thats a great pic of the grabber rails. Yeah the heigh difference of the rails might be causing the cant. I noticed that when I mounted the 552 on my Knights RASII rail.  Got a Aimpoint instead with the ARMs mount and zero canting as it fits flush. I sent mine in to Eotech too and received another one back that was canted. I gave it and learned to live with it.  Also talked to a rep at the Shot Show last weekend and he said that even with the accucam the canting can still occur as they still use the factory rail grabbers on the Eotech.  Nice guy...he saved me money on purchasing the accucam to see if it would straighten out the problem. I put mine on both my  KAC RAS II rails and they still cant. Then I went around to check out the Las Vegas area gun stores and the Eotechs they sell on guns also are canted. Thats when I realized its not just me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#50]
mine cants very slightly I think.... depends on how I look at it.

ot looks very canted on my myspace picture with it.... but thats the angle when u look straight at it it looks straight.....

but it hits where the dot is. how big of a deal is this, really?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top