Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2006 6:11:12 PM EDT
This Sunday I went to the shooting range and I was disappointed with the trigger in my Match Hbar.
It feels very heavy and it has rough pull.
What can I do under $100 to improve this?
Thanks for help.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Replace with a RRA 2-stage.  I love 'em.  I think I got my latest off the EE for $85 or so.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Replace with a RRA 2-stage.  I love 'em.  I think I got my latest off the EE for $85 or so.

+ eleventy billion.  Make sure you get the right pivot pin diameter, since some Colts are not USGI in that regard.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I 3rd the RRA nm trigger.  WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY lighter than a factory colt trigger.  I have one. of each.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#4]
You can always get a JP trigger spring kit for $10, and cut the back off the hammer to make it lightweight.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You can always get a JP trigger spring kit for $10, and cut the back off the hammer to make it lightweight.

How do you cut the back off the hammer?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Dremmel Tool with cut off disc.....

Cut it like this.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Only play with the trigger if this is a range gun... if you think your life might depend on it, stick with the standard trigger parts.

With the above caveate, try the 15 min trigger job forst... cheap, easy, quick and may be adequate.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Only play with the trigger if this is a range gun... if you think your life might depend on it, stick with the standard trigger parts.

With the above caveate, try the 15 min trigger job forst... cheap, easy, quick and may be adequate.

I would rather do the homemade lightweight speed trigger, with JP sprins than cutting the trigger spring, and lapping on the engagment surfaces.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:34:21 AM EDT
[#9]
No offense but I'm trying to figure out why modifying (bending and cutting) stock trigger springs would be a better solution than simply using lower strength springs with a corresponding lighter hammer.  The hammer spring must lift the hammer, therefore using lighter springs that are the exact same shape and dimension as stock springs, along with a lighter hammer should not result in a physics problem and/or reliabilty issues.  I would expect more long term reliability out of the above setup.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No offense but I'm trying to figure out why modifying (bending and cutting) stock trigger springs would be a better solution than simply using lower strength springs with a corresponding lighter hammer.  The hammer spring must lift the hammer, therefore using lighter springs that are the exact same shape and dimension as stock springs, along with a lighter hammer should not result in a physics problem and/or reliabilty issues.  I would expect more long term reliability out of the above setup.

+!, I would never cut the spring and hope to have reliability, but using the above method that I posed makes a lightweight trigger, it just doesnt make the pull crisp like a match trigger, but it should work good. It should be 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Just be a MAN and learn to love the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#13]
If you hadn't have bought the heavy barrelled trigger...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#14]
+1 on the 15min trigger job !
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I 3rd the RRA nm trigger.  WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY lighter than a factory colt trigger.  I have one. of each.

+1 for the RRA two-stage, I have one in each rifle including my DPMS .308 and love them, excellent pull and smooth transaction to engagement of the firing pin.

Using stones to smooth out the mate surfaces will make it even sweeter then it already is.

My 2 cents.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top