Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/22/2002 9:43:43 PM EDT
Well, I recently purchased a BattleGrip replacement pistol grip from Bandit-Excalibur Arms (BattleGrip Group Buy), and I had a chance tonight to install it & do a little dry fire practice.  Here are some thoughts and observations...

- General construction is very impressive. This is a quality piece of equipment that will undoubtedly stand up to much abuse. Fit to my lower receiver was spot on (no misalignments or overlaps).  

- The surface texture is smooth, but not overly slick, so grip slippage should not be a problem (did not try it wet, however).

- The BattleGrip has a built in "gapper" or "duckbill" that covers the space between the trigger guard & grip. Thumbs up for a well conceived little detail that other grips lack.

- The battery compartment seals quite securely. I initially had some qualms that the door to the interior compartment would work it's way open with hard use and a full complement of batteries installed, but I now realize that the only way to open the grip is to deliberately pull the door open.

The flexible rubber door fits flush with the bottom of the grip, and it is held closed by a secure tension fit and by a molded tab that locks into an interior notch.

I loaded two DL-1 type batteries into the grip (all that I had on hand), and I tried to induce a rattle or get the trap door to inadvertently open, but my efforts were fruitless... once installed your batteries are staying put!!!

- In spite of all this praise, the BattleGrip does have one shortcoming IMHO... It does not feel comfortable to me. I sincerely wanted to like and use the BattleGrip on my "go to" rifle, but after an hour of practice, I had to take it off, and reinstall my Ergo Grip.

Now this criticism is not a blanket inditement of the BattleGrip's design. My feeling is that if you find a standard A1 or A2 grip comfortable, you will love the BattleGrip. I have never found those grips comfortable & I find that the Ergo Grip fits my hand & shooting grip perfectly, so I guess I will just stay with what works for me.  YMMV.

So... The BattleGrip is a well conceived, engineered & constructed pistol grip for the AR15/M16 series of weapons. It performs as advertised, and it fills a niche that has not previously been explored.

Give it a try... It just might become your favorite grip!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 10:06:07 PM EDT
[#1]
NYPatriot, excellent review.

I got a battlegrip as a birthday gift at this year's SAR show, I am very impressed with this grip, very comfortable and very well thoughtout on the battery compartment. I soak the grip in some water, the rubber flap door seem to keep the water out.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 10:15:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been looking at this grip, and I liked the idea a lot. But I also didnt know if I would find it very comfortable. Maybe this is over kill, or the gear queer in my coming out, but I wonder what it would be like if you put on one of those Butler Creek or Houge slip in grips over the Battle Grip? How many 123A batteries does it hold?
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#3]
New-arguy, installing a slip-on grip (or even a piece of bicycle tire inner tube) will certainly provide for a sure hold if the BattleGrip gets wet.

My comfort problem does not stem from the surface texture however.  It is the result of the grip angle & how the web of my hand rides on the back of the grip.

I don't think there is a quick fix for this.

BTW... it holds two 123 Lithium batteries.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top