Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2002 12:43:56 PM EDT
Hello, I am rediculously close to buying my AR15, thursday in fact, and have a few questions before I make the plunge.

Brands..
My local dealer has ARMALITE, BUSHMASTER, and RRA, from what I have researched they are all good guns correct? Do any of them have problems associated with them, such as poor customer service, or with the rifles they manufacture in general?

Is it safer to assume a mid length handguard on a 16" barrel would have more thoroughly burnt gas before it enters the system? (ie, less pressure,and less problems associated with m4's?) Mid is better? or is their no difference?

From what I have seen both ARMALITE, and BUSHY chrome all their barrels (except target), and RRA only chromes certain models. Correct?

Bushmaster, RRA, and Armalite are chamberd in
5.56 right? It is it safe to use .223 in a 5.56 rifle right? How about the other way around? (from what I have read 5.56 in a .223 chamber is bad)

One last thing, how much fun will I have this weekend? THANKS!

(BTW the model I am looking at is a ARMALITE flat top m4gery with a 16 inch barrel and mid length handguards, no front sight :(  

I wanted a front sight so bad, but no one seems to offer this exact package I have been looking for. If it had a front sight I would put flip up rear sights, and for my preferences it would be perfect... (bushy's barrels are only 14" , the flash suppressor makes it 16...  Armalites flash supressor seems much smaller, thus a bit longer barrel, what I want.)

Oh well, new upper. wah.

!!!~THANKS~!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Well let me start by answering some questions. Bushmaster and Armalite are definitely good AR makers. I have no RRA experience so I cant speak to that. I have never dealt with any of their customer service (nothing ever went wrong).

It is completely safe to fire .223 in 5.56 (but NOT the other way around).
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:46:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh and about the front sight thingy (unless i dont understand the question): Couldn't you get an A3 upper that has the detachable carry handle. Thus giving you the ability to have a flat top upper receiver and a front sight?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:05:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a RRA with a 16" barrel, flat top rail upper, and a fixed front sight. It came with the mid length handguards and without the M4 profile barrel that has the cut out for the M203 on it. It looks like an M-16 that is 4 inches shorter. The barrel is chrome lined and it holds 3" at 200 yards. Check RRA's web site for more info. You are correct on the chamber issue. You want a NATO spec chamber so you can shoot any surplus ammo you get your hands on. You can shoot NATO spec 5.56 in a .223 chamber, but you have to check the brass to make sure you aren't getting high chamber pressure. True NATO ammo has the small cross headstamp so you can tell if it's the real deal. I have used XM193 and Hirt in a .223 chambered rifle with no problems, but SA was blowing primers on me.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the 20" Armalite (see pic)
I have an ARMS #40 flipup rear - and a detachable front sight.

I love it! [:D]

[img]http://compjrk.home.mindspring.com/sar3AR15.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Happy Day!!

One item I must share, what a plus chrome lining is @ barrel and chamber.  It is a pass from cleaning at a rate of perhaps every twenty rounds for non-chrome to a minimum of every 200 rounds, and I suspect many times that amount for chrome lined rifles.

Chrome lining is what allows a large quantity of shooting for the AR-15's...without that it is just another 223 requiring frequent cleaning.

Did I forget to mention accuracy as the base line?    
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top