Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/29/2003 2:37:06 PM EDT
Gentlemen,

Did my homework by using the search feature and didn't come up with anything but the TA01.  

Due to the great prices I can buy the following, I'm looking for insights into which would suit my needs.

It will be placed upon the fixed A2 carry handle of a RRA, 16" M4.  Ammo will be Mil Spec Federal XM193.  Living out west where ranges could get long for my SHTF weapon used to protect my family, yet keep the zombies off the yard at 20 yards or so. No houses out the front or back for 100 yards or so.  Houses to the sides as close as 10 to 30 yards.  

I don't care for the dot reticles.  Not precise enough for my preferences.  

Since I believe 5mm is about as large as the human pupil will open, will it matter if the sight has 8mm exit pupil going as large as 10.7mm?

TA44R-4, 1.5 x 16, 2.4" eye relief, red crosshair

TA47-2, 2 x 20, 2.1" eye relief, amber triangle.  What is the MOA of the triangle?  Leaning towards this one as I feel the amber will attact my eye faster in quick shoot situs and the 2x is a compromise in power.  

TA50-4, 3 x 24, 1.4" eye relief, red crosshair.

TA01, 4 x 32, 1.5" eye relief, Full Line Red Illumination. This is my #2 pick with the ladder crosshair options if needed for long shots.  (Mountains start 1/4 mile from back door should I need to go bring in venison for family.)

The winner would need to do double duty at night as well.  So, I'm not sure which reticle would be better.  

Which, if any, would require extra mounts to attach or are they all compatable just the way they come for attaching to the fixed carry handle?

Big Al
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#1]
They all can be used at night, question is do you want BAC, and what magnification do you prefer?
Using the TA01 series for CQB isn't ideal, they're meant to be used to make careful aimed shots.  Since you like amber, that rules out the TA01.  TA01NSN does not have full line lit reticle but is only center lit, but it is amber.  You can also easily buy an Optima or Docter red dot mount for use in CQB if you have the TA01NSN.
For close range shooting, I'd go for the compact ACOGs.  Actually I won't, I'd much rather use my TA11 but that's not on your list [:)]
I was a little skeptical about the donut reticle.  For those of us that have only seen it on websites or even looked through the scope, I can see how we could easily form the opinion that it's not precise.  You can get the chevron reticle if you prefer. Once you shoot a rifle with an ACOG thus equipped I'm quite sure you'll change your mind.
Now let's wait for New AR guy, Bart-Roberts, Cincinatus and other happy TA11/TA31 owners to chime in [;)]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I say get them all.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the Ta47-2 on my 16" AR carbine. I thought long and hard just like you and I'm glad I got this one. My .02 worth.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I used my TA50-4 today for the first time,(amber cross hair, the TA50R-4 is the one I think has the red cross hair) It mounts directly on the sight carry handle. I also have an adaptor to mount it on a flat top. While it was not my first choice I am rather happy with it. I saw it a few weeks ago in a close out for $480.00. When the prices went up I grabbed it. After sighting it in I was able to keep all the shots inside the 8 ring of a B27 target, (measures 12" wide by 18" high)at three hundred yards. Setting up three B27 from 25 yards to 65 yards I played with the BAC feature. The thing is fast. BTW the rifle used is a Colt M4 with a detachable carry handle. I don't have any thing to compare it to but it did better than I though it would. The eye relief is short. I index my cheek weld by placing my right nostril over the left side of the charging handle. The cross hairs are bright in daylight and at dusk and darkness. However, they fade indoors. The duplex type retical help indoors. You can center the bold outer cross hairs on target. All it all I'd say you could do worse for your application.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Gentlemen,

Did my homework by using the search feature and didn't come up with anything but the TA01.  

Due to the great prices I can buy the following, I'm looking for insights into which would suit my needs.

It will be placed upon the fixed A2 carry handle of a RRA, 16" M4.  Ammo will be Mil Spec Federal XM193.  Living out west where ranges could get long for my SHTF weapon used to protect my family, yet keep the zombies off the yard at 20 yards or so. No houses out the front or back for 100 yards or so.  Houses to the sides as close as 10 to 30 yards.  

I don't care for the dot reticles.  Not precise enough for my preferences.  

Since I believe 5mm is about as large as the human pupil will open, will it matter if the sight has 8mm exit pupil going as large as 10.7mm?

TA44R-4, 1.5 x 16, 2.4" eye relief, red crosshair

TA47-2, 2 x 20, 2.1" eye relief, amber triangle.  What is the MOA of the triangle?  Leaning towards this one as I feel the amber will attact my eye faster in quick shoot situs and the 2x is a compromise in power.  

TA50-4, 3 x 24, 1.4" eye relief, red crosshair.

TA01, 4 x 32, 1.5" eye relief, Full Line Red Illumination. This is my #2 pick with the ladder crosshair options if needed for long shots.  (Mountains start 1/4 mile from back door should I need to go bring in venison for family.)

The winner would need to do double duty at night as well.  So, I'm not sure which reticle would be better.  

Which, if any, would require extra mounts to attach or are they all compatable just the way they come for attaching to the fixed carry handle?

Big Al
View Quote

Not nitpicking here but the human pupil will open WAY bigger than 5mm. I've seen 15mm pupils on people who weren't even on lsd or some other notorious dilating substances. A mm is a lot smaller than many suppose. But.....you are right...it probably won't affect what you are talking about. I apologise.....just being anal retentive....can't help it....It's why I collect AR'S.....compulsive behavior....please forgive.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:45:15 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Actually, in total darkness the human eye can dilate up to 7mm; but the other advantage the larger eye pupil gives you is that the scope is more tolerant of head movement without parallax.

I don't care for the dot reticles. Not precise enough for my preferences.
View Quote

I agree on the compact ACOG dot reticles. The donut is a different story though. Not only can it serve as a dot for speed shooting, you have 4 different aiming points (top of donut, top of donut hole, bottom of donut hole, bottom of donut) and the ranging ladder to use.

View Quote

All the scopes you mentioned will attach to the fixed carry handle with no additional hardware.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Of the ones you mentioned get the TA47-2.  I really like the triangular reticule - big & fast up close - very precise at longer range using the tip of the triangle as the aiming point.

I've got a TA50-2 wich is the 3x version.  I like the additional magnification, but the short eye-relief of the TA50 series can be a PITA when using unconventional shooting positions.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top