Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2006 6:25:41 AM EDT
I posted this in the Rimfire section of AR-15 Forums---got 45 views and no comments, so thought that the active guys on the discussion forum would (maybe) appreciate it.  Maybe even get one "Nice Build"

Ok, I have been working on this for a long time now.  It is my first for several things....

My First AR Build
My First Molycoat
My First Custom
My First Gunsmithing

Accuracy Speaks Shilen 17HMR custom M4 Profile.
YHM Lightweight FF
SE Vortex
Colt Upper
Generic Charging Handle
RRA Lower
RRA LPK
RRA 2-Stage
RRA 6-Position Stock
Norells OD Molycoat

The bolt is a mixture of M16, AR15 9mm, and CZ V-22 all integrated to use 17HMR.  It has a modified M16 carrier, Modified M16 firing pin, 9mm gas key, 9mm extractor, 9mm firing pin spring, and standard cotter pin.

The buffer is made out of aluminum and has 1.875" travel.

Here are a few pictures of the bolt and buffer:

Here is the mag that I designed to work with the 17HMR AR, but it needs a little reworking.  Hopefully I can salvage it, as I would hate to lose all that work.  I built the mag before the AR.

I am still working out the bugs in the system, and AR-Fan and Mongo63A have been giving me some pointers.  I thought using a 9mm extractor would eliminate the need to make a custom extractor, but it appears this part caused me a few headaches.  I was getting some case bulging and I thought it was due to the mass of the system.  I tried 15.3 oz, 14.7, 14.4, and three different spring strengths, and all bulged the case.  Come to find out the 9mm extractor wasn't seating properly, and after a few hours of thinking and slow hand filing, everything seats fine now.  No bulging at 15.3, 14.7, 14.4 , and now 13.7 oz.  Unfortunately, none of them are resetting the trigger yet, so I need to go with a little less mass in the system.  I want to keep the stiff buffer spring as I want to assure proper mag action.  No bulging all the way down to 13.7 oz, so I figure I can go lower until I see signs of bulging.

I was hoping to get everything ready for April 26 as I am heading on a PD hunt in Montana, but there are too many bugs to work out.  I doubt I will be finished.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:31:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Slick!  Did you build and design that bolt yourself?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:33:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting build, and well done.

I love that color.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:33:26 AM EDT
[#3]
very very sick!! awesome bro....nice fabbing!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep.

I designed it and machined it on a manual lathe and manual mill.  It still needs a little work, but ti functions as is.  Well as is now--I had to mess with the 9mm extractor since the pictures.

Oh, I am a 3rd rate machinist, so it took 4 tries to get that far.  I turned 4 bolts on the lathe and that is the last one in the picture.  The first one I messed up the firing pin holes (bits walked), then next two I broke bits in while drilling the the firing pin hole and extractor hold.  I was trying to make sure every thing was staight and perfect using reamer, but I broke bits.

The last one made it all the way, but still needed a bit of fine tuning on the firing pin hole.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:39:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.

I new you guys would get a kick out of it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:04:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Great work edwin!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:07:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Very nice. I also like the color.  TT
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Highly awesome.  

Great work!  

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:52:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks,

Yeah I like the colors too.  I saw someone here that had the same color setup, but I don't remember who it was.  I don't like green funature that much but I do like the green upper and lower.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:57:24 AM EDT
[#10]
That is pretty bad ass. Wish I had the means and abilty to accomplish that.

I like the color too. I almost bought a Daewoo once becuase the guy painted it green. LOL I really dislike Daewoo's ....

- Clint
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#11]
wow that is nice
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Sweet bud.  Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice looking AR.  Its great to see something new like that.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice work...

I'm a big fan of the 17HMR any way got a 10/17 with a Green Mnt 'experimental' marked
barrel I really like..

Your rig looks very well done....some pretty impressive fabrication and final finish..

Very Nice Job!

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks everyone.

My buddy just kept telling me to get a Volquartsen, but I wanted an AR 17HMR.  I would have saved money buying the Volquartsen.

But I am one of the only few that have a qorking AR in 17HMR, and the only one that I know of with a Dedicated 17HMR AR.

Probably more people out there, but no one is posting anything anywhere that I read except AR-Fan
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Sweeeeeettt,,, like the colos. Great machining.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#17]
That looks great. I love the mag I need you to make one like that for a 10/22 build.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#18]
How does the mag look/work when installed?

- Clint
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn, that's sweet!

A LOT of time went into that little project...............

Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow!

That is a very, very slick build.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
How does the mag look/work when installed?

- Clint

That's what I'm wondering too.  It looks like it might be a replacement follower for ar-15 mags
...rounds would set in the 2 grooves and double stack up.

Nice build, I think the .17HMR is a sweet round...like a mini .223 in a way
It's good to see people doing thier own custom work like this.  

Hope you get any remaining bugs worked out,

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#22]
The mag has a couple bugs.   I made it a different then common mags.  It has a wider back end (rear of the 17 case) and the front is single stacked.  I wanted to stagger the back of the case in an attempt to make it a straight stack, so I wouldn't need a curved mag like most high capacity 22 mags.  This feature is accomplished if your careful when loading.

The main bug is: as the round is pulled of the stack it gets hung up on a straight edge.  I need to cut the angle on the vee part at the top hopefully to eliminate some of that flat edge (hard to explain with text).  I need mess with the follower a bit also.

Finally I have another true double stack design drawn up a bit, but never machined anything yet.

The mag holds 25 rounds right now.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow just WOW

Mike
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top