Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/11/2018 10:14:59 PM EDT
3-9x or 2.5-10x (mid-range variable magnification)

no preference on objective side

A simple MOA reticle with illumination similar to the Nightforce NP-R2

30mm tube

solid capped low target turrets with good audible/ tactile feedback on adjustments, high repeatability and accuracy (brass rather than plastic internals)

2nd focal plane

glass as good as a Burris

knob on magnification ring to make adjustments easier

all for around 350 bucks

I've been looking for a decent scope that has at least most of these features, no joy. Seems that most scopes today have drop compensation reticles that have no real use for the rounds I'm shooting. I can figure range in my head with a MOA reticle, so I don't need "fancy" or "exotic". The MOA hashes also allow me to compensate for elevation and wind on the fly. Illuminated reticle because low-light shooting is a normal thing for me. 2nd focal plane because FFP on a mid-power scope is stupid, as I'm not trying to make a dot out of the reticle. Unfortunately, a nice, simple scope like this simply isn't made any more.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Checked out Primary Arm's scopes? They might have something that will work for what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 3:40:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Closest thing I can think of is the Trijicon AccuPower 3-9x40. Japanese glass (phenomenal), illumination is usable, available in red/green, MOA hash reticle simply works, capped low turrets, great warranty, only thing it didn't meet is 30mm tube - it's 1". I think you'd be looking at around $400. They make a 2.5-10x56 but you'd be looking at $700 or so.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Of my scopes, the weaver tac 2-10x36 comes closest.  Turrets are tac instead of low capped, ffp, and simple mil reticle instead of moa.
Power ring, 30mm, $400, good glass, illumination, good tracking, and I actually prefer the other features.  Only drawback is it's so heavy.....still one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Weaver's Grand Slam Tactical (GST) has everything except illumination.

Turrets and reticle are milrad, rather than MOA, but they are accurate and the turrets are repeatable.  Glass is very good Japanese.  The entire scope is made in Japan. 3-10x40mm.

Prices were once $400, but now it is available through Natchez for about $220, if I recall.

For illumination, take a close look at Leupold's Mark AR 3-9x40mm, it is also mil/mil, but has equally accurate, repeatable turrets and the fantastic Firedot TMR reticle.  I think it is about $450 list and available for quite a bit less at street price.  Glass is close to that of the GST, maybe not quite as good, but close.

Both of these scopes have limited elevation (1" main tube), but can easily get to 700-750 yards without passing zero.

Both have tactical, exposed turrets.   I have the GST on a long range bolt gun.  I didn't need illumination for that.  I have Leupold's VX-R Patrol 3-9x40mm with the same turrets and reticle, including the Firedot and another Leupold scope with the Firedot reticle.  It's similar, just better glass and stronger construction.  That dot can be made daylight bright and is motion-activated in all models, which means very long battery life.  You leave it on 24/7.

Both of these scopes are light.  The GST is 16.6 ounces.  The Mark AR is only 12.4 ounces.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Checked out Primary Arm's scopes? They might have something that will work for what you are looking for.
View Quote
Problem is, reticles in PA are mostly wrong, and in some it has more to do with tracking issues.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Closest thing I can think of is the Trijicon AccuPower 3-9x40. Japanese glass (phenomenal), illumination is usable, available in red/green, MOA hash reticle simply works, capped low turrets, great warranty, only thing it didn't meet is 30mm tube - it's 1". I think you'd be looking at around $400. They make a 2.5-10x56 but you'd be looking at $700 or so.
View Quote
I'm actually looking at the 3-9 Accupower w/ MOA reticle, as there isn't much out there with what I want.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been hand-wringing about a new scope for about 6 months, trying to pack the most features into a single device. I finally figured out that the biggest hurdle was the 1x magnification; seems like you have worked past that. Once I decided I didn't need a 1x LPVO, options got a lot more capable and less expensive. I finally decided on an Accupower 2.5-10 with the green MIL square reticle and paid about half of what an equivalent quality 1-6 or 1-8 would have cost. I already have a safe full of RDS for all the time I spend shooting people in the face at close range.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Your scope specs are similar to mine, and I didn't even know about the Weaver Grand Slam Tactical.  That is going on the wish list.
I have a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x50, but the 50mm lens is just so dang big, and heavy.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Bushnell engage 2.5-10 you're welcome.

Just lacks the illumination though

I have one and love it
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Problem is, reticles in PA are mostly wrong, and in some it has more to do with tracking issues.
View Quote
What do you mean that they’re wrong?

I’m told by many that they’re spot on.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top