Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/19/2004 7:02:13 AM EST
I'm not fully informed on the subject, so this is what I'm thinking about: I have a Bushmaster with the 14"- AK muzzle brake combo from the factory. I"m thinking of upgrading to a flutted heavy barrel in 16" from them as well. Is there any real advantages to crowning the muzzel in the 16" length. Is this upgrade wasted if I'm only using non match grade ammo (Fed/Lake m193) ? By the way -- I plan on getting the 9 to 1 version.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:11:03 AM EST
Do you plan on using anything as a muzzle device? If not, the biggest argument I have in favor of having your muzzle crowned (recess crowned) is to protect it from damage. Dosen't matter if you are using handloaded match ammo or de-linked surplus FMJ, if you have a nick on the end of the bore, your accuraccy is going to be affected.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:18:26 AM EST
A "perfect" crown allows the bullet more accurate flight.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:45:03 PM EST
I never thought of the benfits of the recessed portion of the barrel for protection of the bore -- it does make perfect sense - good one. As for the function that the modification was intended for - stabilizing the pressure wave that is created when the bullet is fired - agree that it should help, but considering that I only "hold my own" when accuracy is concerned - I just questioned if the added expense is worth it.....
Top Top