Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 10:54:55 AM EDT
I've recently added a Miculek brake to my A3 16" carbine Bushmaster. Prior to the brake I was pretty consistantly shooting < 1" groups from a bench at 100yds, since the brake I'm lucky to shoot 2"-3" groups with some fliers mixed in. I've gone to the range on 3 seperate occasions thinking maybe I was just having a bad day the first time out with the brake but every time I have the same results. I have checked and re-checked the rifle for loose parts and it seems mechincally sound. Is it typical to lose accuracy when you add a brake? If so, is there any way to gain the accuracy back? To say the least this is very frustrating but moreso it's disappointing.
Thanks in advance for your comments or suggestions.........
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the opportunity to shoot an H&K SOCOM pistol. At 15' the group size with the flash hider opened up to double the size of the bare barrel. It looks like you're experiencing the same thing here. You might try handloading or different types of ammo, or even removing the brake.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Bushy with a factory installed brake that shoots as good as any AR I've had. I wonder if your brake is torqued too tight and is putting stress to the barrel or changing the harmonics.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Bill
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:19:25 PM EDT
[#3]
probably has something to do with how tight you tightened the brake or the noise making you jerk the rifle?

i know when i first installed the mstn comp on my rifle it made me jerk the sh!t out of the trigger cause i couldnt bear the noise. but after awhile it tightened back up also to add my brake was just tight enough

but when i replaced the comp with a vortex the groups tightened up even more but to me its due to the absence of the painful noise
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top