Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2003 8:13:59 PM EDT
I have a pre ban 20" barrel, with the muzzle brake (A2) hand tight and glued. Would it be more accurrate without it, or with another style? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:46:18 AM EDT
[#2]
A bare muzzle is more accurate.  I've not seen a true match "space gun" with one on the end.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:51:14 AM EDT
[#3]
FWIW, the A2 a flash-suppressor, not a muzzle-break. [;)]

ditto above...

Mike
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:59:45 AM EDT
[#4]
The A2 flash suppressor is supposed to actually be detrimental to accuracy. Apparently it is a very poorly machined item.

The Vortex flash suppressor is actually supposed to increase accuracy according to testing done. Another board member posted some test results done by the military that indicated they have had fantastic success with the Vortex and accuracy.

I have extremely limited experience in this area, but I can tell you the M4 I have with a Vortex is almost abnormally accurate. Does the Vortex play a part in this? I really dont know, but needless to say, I am not taking it off.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#5]
They need to make something similar to Vortex for 20" barrels. 20" with vortex is too long! (unless you go with 18" barrel)
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I just put a Vortex on my 18" Spr Upper.Is there any particular way to get the prongs to lineup?

Do you need to use a washer with these.

Thanks
Jm03
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Prongs line up to what?  These aren't indexed, nor is there any reason to try to index them, other than cosmetics no one but you will notice.  You need a lock washer, crush washer, or peel washer (in that order) for the Vortex.

The Vortex is ~1/2" longer than the M16A2 [i][b]compensator[/i][/b].  No brake or supressor on the M16A2.  [;)]

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Prongs line up to what?  These aren't indexed, nor is there any reason to try to index them, other than cosmetics no one but you will notice.  You need a lock washer, crush washer, or peel washer (in that order) for the Vortex.

The Vortex is ~1/2" longer than the M16A2 [i][b]compensator[/i][/b].  No brake or supressor on the M16A2.  [;)]

-- Chuck
View Quote

Where can I purchase a lock washer,and crush washer??

Thanks

Jm03
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#9]
So what I'm getting out of this is that, a muzzle brake or compensator degrades accuracy?

All of them or just certain types?
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:37:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Take a look at the rifles which win the National Matches at Camp Perry.  Unless they're Service Rifles, which have to be or closely resemble the M16A2, they don't have any muzzle devices on them at all.  Nada.  

Something tells me that if a muzzle brake or flash supressor would increase accuracy these guys would jump on it in a heartbeat.

Shooting factory/arsenal ammo thru stock rifles probably won't produce any measureable differenc in accuracy, even off the bench.  If you need muzzle jump reduction fit a muzzle brake; if you need to kill the muzzle flash fit a flash supressor.

A lock, crush, or peel washer is a standard gun show part.  Brownells part number 989-015-015 will get you the lock washer,  part number 078-015-005 gets you 5 peel washers.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:29:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top