Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 7:32:31 AM EDT
I am looking to replace my standard muzzle break with somthing a little better.  I just wanted to get some ideas from everbody about the diffrent kinds that are out there.  I was looking at the Y Comp Brake.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:55:48 AM EDT
[#1]
BRAKE!!!!!

If you are in KY, I don't believe you have any kind of AWB, I would recommend a flash hider instead.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:08:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
BRAKE!!!!!

If you are in KY, I don't believe you have any kind of AWB, I would recommend a flash hider instead.

+1 to the grammar nazi

Brakes generally suck, mostly for other people around you. They also increase flash and usually dust too. The brake may also have an adverse effect on accuracy.

I'd replace the brake with a flash hider, probably a Phantom. Those work very nicely for reducing flash and have the added benefit that they can be used to take a core sample if you ever find yourself at close range.

BSW
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:24:00 AM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
BRAKE!!!!!

+1 to the grammar nazi

Brakes generally suck, Why/How? mostly for other people around you.
They also increase flash and usually dust too. Agreed
The brake may also have an adverse effect on accuracy. Again Why/How?

I'd replace the brake with a flash hider, probably a Phantom. Those work very nicely for reducing flash and have the added benefit that they can be used to take a core sample if you ever find yourself at close range.

BSW

To answer the OP's question, without correcting his spelling or suggesting something he didn't ask about, look into a Miculek or DNTC, I have had success with both.

Did I pass the spelling and grammar test.....
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Brakes are loud. They redirect gas to the sides, where there may be other shooters. The blast off a brake is sharper than with a plain muzzle or a flash hider and tends to annoy people. Brakes also increase flash signature if it's twilight or dark.

Brakes interfere with the gas coming off the muzzle. This may cause a decrease in accuracy compared to a plain muzzle or symmetric flash hider. The redirected gas can also raise more dust when shooting prone.

Generally 5.56 rifles just don't have enough recoil to make brakes worthwhile, in my opinion. The only brake I own is the one on my AK, and while is does reduce recoil and muzzle flip, it has the disadvantages I mentioned above.

The whole break/brake thing is kinda like calling magazines clips: it's technically incorrect and can lead to confusion. Muzzle break can be inferred to mean a broken muzzle. A muzzle brake can only be a device that reduces recoil and/or climb.

BSW

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top