Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/10/2003 5:46:49 AM EDT
I see lots of posts about muzzle breaks, and/or flash hiders. What's the big attraction here? The .223 doesn't have any recoil, so a 'brake' is just for looks, right?
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:48:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Although I feel somewhat as you do, others tell me a good brake reduces the muzzle whip when they are shooting certain timed matches. Other than that, I think it is a good way to tick off the people around you on the range.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:27:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Flash Suppressors (not hiders) are a HUGE help to the shooter when you are firing at night or reduced light. The flash from rounds will blind you temporarily and you WILL loose whatever night vision you had. It makes shooting extremely difficult. A good flash suppressor will reduce or nearly eliminate all flash, and this is a big deal indeed.

Muzzle Brakes... take 'em or leave em dependingon your needs.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally, I can tell quite a bit of difference between an AR with a flash suppressor and one with a muzzle brake in the way it fires. I will have a brake on every post ban gun I ever own. If for no other reason than the fact that I use my guns. A plain barrel leaves the crown wide open to getting dinged or nicked, significantly affecting accuracy. A brake will give some protection to the crown if nothing else. If I had a choice would I take a flash suppressor? Certainly. No point in putting a brake on a preban. But since on a post ban rifle I dont have a choice, I might as well take what ever I can get to make it better. I cant see a reason to not have one.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top