Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/27/2004 7:47:11 PM EST
Does a Flash Surpresser or a muzzle break adversely affect your rounds down range? I recently called BM sales and wanted a Y-Comp Break for my Pre-Ban 20" HBAR. Bushmaster said not to put it on because it would have a negative affect on my rounds down range. Is there any truth to this? Has there been any reviews or test done that I could read about this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brian
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:59:41 PM EST
A properly designed flash hider, brake, or compensator will not affect accuracy.

-z
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:28:57 AM EST

Originally Posted By black_heart:
Does a Flash Surpresser or a muzzle break adversely affect your rounds down range? I recently called BM sales and wanted a Y-Comp Break for my Pre-Ban 20" HBAR. Bushmaster said not to put it on because it would have a negative affect on my rounds down range. Is there any truth to this? Has there been any reviews or test done that I could read about this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brian

FWIW, anyone entertaining the idea of swapping out an A2 FS (which I assume was on your PRE-BAN rifle) for a Y-Comp was probably thought to be "a half a level off of plume" if ya catch my drift.

Hence the response ya got............., btw the back-blast from the Y-Comp, the AK brake or many others is quite disconcerting enough to the shooter to affect your shots downrange, IMO. Not to mention the flak you'd be getting from shooters near your AO.

(although I do agree with the comments by Zak above, a bare "properly crowned" barrel is probably the most accurate of all)

Mike
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:48:04 AM EST
The thing that is critical to accuracy, is that as the bullet exits the muzzle, the gas must escape the barrel evenly around the base of the bullet, exerting equal pressure around it's circumferance. Any nick or irregularity will lead to a loss of accuracy due to uneven forces on the bullet.

Lonny
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:53:48 AM EST
the Army Marksmanship Unit did not find that there was an accuracy difference in a bare muzzle compared to one with an A1 or an A2 flash hider. There was a zero difference between A1 and A@ though. A1 is lighter than an A2 and affects harmonics accordingly.
Top Top