Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 7/19/2010 5:33:52 AM EST
I am looking for recommendations for a muzzle brake for a RRA .458 SOCOM upper.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:56:54 AM EST
http://stores.ebay.com/DARKMETAL-DESIGN

he had a shark type tromix looking one once.

http://www.tromix.com/saiga-parts.htm sgp76
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 2:40:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/19/2010 2:47:23 PM EST by mak91]
I am running one of these on my Tromix .458.
https://www.masterpiecearms.com/proddetail.php?prod=MPA1-56
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 2:46:32 PM EST
RRA 458 SOCOM is 5/8 x 32 not 11/16 X 16.
What rifle/pistol/sbr are you running?

Originally Posted By mak91:
I am running one of these on mine.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 2:52:31 PM EST
I got my upper from Tony back in the ban years its a 16 1/2 inch stainless bull barrel. After the ban ended I had a spare break from my mac10 45acp subgun so I had the barrel threaded so I could use it on the socom.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:05:38 PM EST
Very nice.
I got my upper from Tony back in the ban years its a 16 1/2 inch stainless bull barrel. After the ban ended I had a spare break from my mac10 45acp subgun so I had the barrel threaded so I could use it on the socom.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:29:33 PM EST
I am running one of these on my Tromix .458.

The break was clearanced correctly for a .458 projectile?

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:39:09 PM EST
If you are looking for a brake for the purpose of recoil reduction, you may find you spent a whole lot of money for very little reduction. My first .458 S came with a Shrewd brake and I was amazed at the relative lack of recoil. Although recoil is subjective and I have been shooting bigger bored rifles and handguns for decades, I had expected a lot more recoil. Must have been a good brake, right? Wrong. When I replaced the brake with a flash suppressor there was really no difference in recoil that I could feel. However, my rifle is wearing an ACE M4 SOCOM stock (fixed into position) with the soft one-inch thick rubber recoil pad. From shooting it and my other two .458s for the last 6 or 8 years, I can now say that the soft rubber recoil pad will do more to reduce felt recoil than any brake will, and I have shot my .458S with loads ranging from 250 gr. to 500 gr. So, you may want to consider either the ACE Skeleton stock (nearly the same as the M4) or the M4 and fix it into position if recoil reduction is what you desire. The M4 can be had in short which uses the CAR buffer and spring or in long which uses the rifle buffer and spring. The longer gives you a little more length of pull but of course, does not shorten up as much as the short M4. However, if you do get the M4 you MUST lock it into position because the .458S will auto-collapse it on you. The stock was never designed for more recoil than what the 6.8 gives so it must be fixed into position but the parts needed to do that come with the stock.
If you do want a brake though, the Shrewd is a fantastic brake. I have them on several other rifles and they do make a world of difference in high pressure loads. My .470 Rhino has a Shrewd brake on it and when it is off there is quite a difference in recoil even though it wears a 1/2 inch Decelerator.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:54:04 PM EST
An extra heavy buffer will also reduce a lot of the recoil by lengthening the recoil impulse so you get more of a 20 gauge gas auto shotgun type recoil.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:10:57 PM EST
Heavy buffers can cause malfunctions in the .458S. I put a HB in mine when I first switched to a CAR type stock and it immediately started short stroking. I went back to the standard CAR buffer and all was well. When I discussed it with Marty he said the .458S was designed to work with standard buffers, rifle and CAR. So, while there are many CAR stocked .458S with HBs or 2HB, if you do this and it starts short stroking or not locking back, there is nothing wrong with your rifle, you just got the gun out of spec.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:35:59 PM EST
.458 goes through my mpa break with no problems.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:48:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By Big-Bore:
Heavy buffers can cause malfunctions in the .458S. I put a HB in mine when I first switched to a CAR type stock and it immediately started short stroking. I went back to the standard CAR buffer and all was well. When I discussed it with Marty he said the .458S was designed to work with standard buffers, rifle and CAR. So, while there are many CAR stocked .458S with HBs or 2HB, if you do this and it starts short stroking or not locking back, there is nothing wrong with your rifle, you just got the gun out of spec.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agreed, Standard buffer is the best bet for most folks.

Even my Tubbs CS flat buffer spring affects the ejection pattern (but is reliable).

Flat Spring

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:43:20 PM EST
Just about any brake can be made to work, some better than others and some will work better than others. I found that the Miculek brake works surprisingly well with the .458, it really did reduce recoil.

Options that can be provided are
- the VAIS .458 brake - it fits the RRA thread out of the box, but the issue is that is it .875" diameter, where the barrel is .92" diameter
- a modified Shrewd brake (a standard perforated style) - it needs to be rethreaded, opened up and profiled
- a modified Miculek 308 - needs to be opened up and given a thread adapter to fit the RRA thread
- a modified OPS Inc - open up and thread adapter
- etc

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:29:23 AM EST
Originally Posted By MartytW:
Just about any brake can be made to work, some better than others and some will work better than others. I found that the Miculek brake works surprisingly well with the .458, it really did reduce recoil.

Thank you for the advice. I am guessing that a Miculek brake would have to be custom made. Where can I get one made for my rifle?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:40:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By speed41ae:
Originally Posted By MartytW:

Thank you for the advice. I am guessing that a Miculek brake would have to be custom made. Where can I get one made for my rifle?

What you do is purchase the standard 308 version from DPMS. Then have a good machinist or gunsmith perform the following:
1 - open up the brake for a .458 diameter projectile (something like .480" would work, .500 gives ample clearance)
2 - rethread the tail from the 5/8 x 24 to something like 11/16 x 24 to remove the old thread
3 - make a thread adapter with 11/16 x 24 on the outside and 5/8 x 32 on the inside
4 - reparkerize the whole thing and install the adapter in the brake
5 - install the brake with a crush washer on the rifle

I know someone who might be able to do this...

Or find that same machinist, show him a picture of a Miculek brake and have him duplicate it but with a hole for a .458 bullet and with 5/8 x 32 threads...
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 3:45:51 AM EST
Thank you again. I will inquire around for a local source. I will IM you for your guy if my local search is not successful.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 3:27:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/23/2010 3:28:54 PM EST by Big-Bore]
Mark at TROSUSA.com can fix you up with the adapter. I just had him make me a custom 1/2 x 28 inside by 5/8 x 24 outside for another project I am doing and he had it made and delivered to me within a week, all for $40.

He can also do the other work Marty mentioned. He took a .308 Phantom 5C2 flash suppressor and opened it up to clear a .510 bullet and rethreaded it to 3/4 x 24 from the original 5/8 x 24. He also made me a custom crush washer. That particular project took him a while but it was worth the wait. If it can be done with a lathe and mill, Mark can do it.
Top Top