Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/11/2013 7:52:46 AM EDT

I am looking to order a BCM 14.5 Mid length upper (Light Weight) from the factory and being in state that does not allow Flash Hiders and have to select a pin on Brake only.  BCM provides only a handful of options and I want to be sure I understand what is defined as a Brake and what is a FH.

I do believe the Surefire is a Brake only I am not so sure about the others. I have search the web and cannot find a answer as to what the other options fall under although I think I can make a quess from just looking at the porting etc but understandably I want to be sure.

Can someone chime in and let me know which one(s) of these are considered Brakes only?

Surefire MB 556K-PN
Battle Comp BC 1.5
PWSC 556
BCM Gun fighter Comp Mod 1.0

Thank You.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:50:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I am looking to order a BCM 14.5 Mid length upper (Light Weight) from the factory and being in state that does not allow Flash Hiders and have to select a pin on Brake only.  BCM provides only a handful of options and I want to be sure I understand what is defined as a Brake and what is a FH.

I do believe the Surefire is a Brake only I am not so sure about the others. I have search the web and cannot find a answer as to what the other options fall under although I think I can make a quess from just looking at the porting etc but understandably I want to be sure.

Can someone chime in and let me know which one(s) of these are considered Brakes only?

Surefire MB 556K-PN
Battle Comp BC 1.5
PWSC 556
BCM Gun fighter Comp Mod 1.0

Thank You.
View Quote

Minimum Federal barrel length is 16".  Don't forget that you will have to pin and weld that brake to meet the law without an SBR Tax Stamp.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Those should all work. Any are good choices. Are you looking for more muzzle rise reducing capability or more flash hiding capability? Also, how important is it to you that it not be very concussive?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#3]

With regard to barrel length – a 14.5 inch barrel mated with a muzzle brake will extend to the required 16 inches.

My questions were more to do with what of those listed are defined as ONLY a Muzzle Brake only since I cannot legally have a Flash Hider attached.

Anyone..

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep.  All brakes.  I just bought a cold hammer forged one myself two months ago (but having to sell it new, unfired).  

For the money, I recommend the PWS FSC556 (which is classified as a brake but has some flash hiding properties--described on ear site).  But for just amazing compensation/recoil reduction, I think the SF is the best.  

(Tried to email or PM you, but both are turned off.)
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#5]

This is very interesting and appreciate the response especially since I was initially under the impression a easy way to tell the difference between a Brake and Flash Hider was for the Brake the end of the muzzle device (the circumference) had to be completely closed but when I read about the PWS FSC556 it specifically states … “ The PWS FSC556 has a hole drilled for pinning on barrels. This device has been classified as a non-flash suppressing device by the BATFE…….

Awesome.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you considered the new Stag 3G comp?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#7]
You might just need to try the Lantac Dragon....I can't believe how nice it shoots.  My First Sergeant liked it so much he picked one up as well.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Griffin M4SD Flashcomp
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top