Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2003 6:16:50 AM EDT
What are the gotta-haves?  Aside from mags that is..

I'm picking up my AR Saturday.  It's an A2 style with a scope, a bipod, and a sling.

What are your opinions on must have accessories?

Thanks
Scott
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#1]
What other specs (barrel length/type, manufacturer, plans for how you'll shoot)?

I'd add a Otis cleaning kit, lots of magazines, and perhaps a case (doesn't have to be a $200 Pelican, but something to keep the rifle in while transporting).

After that, go shoot it a lot, and then figure out if you want a different sling, scope, bipod, mags, or want a benchrest, rangebag, different ammo, etc.

Have fun,

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a 20 inch Olympic Arms, and it comes with a hard case too...

The plan is to go straight from the point of sale to the range!  

Scott
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 9:52:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Do yourself a favor and replace the standard grip.  I'd recommend a Hogue or Ergo.
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's a hint: [size=6]AMMO.[/size=6]
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Here's a hint: [size=6]AMMO.[/size=6]
View Quote

[ROFL]

Oh yeah!
Scott
Link Posted: 4/12/2003 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Even more ammo, then some ammo on top of that.  Some extra mags. Don't forget extra ammo.  A hand cart and a contact for someone who sells bulk ammo.

The LULA mag loader to load all your mags with that ammo.

Good grip, PRI Big latch for your charging handle, and a small cleaning gnome who does rifles. If you pay him extra, he will haul all that ammo around for you, and pick up your brass.
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#7]
If you plan on using it for home defense, a gun mounted Xenon light is absolutley necessary. You don't have to spend $500 on a Surefire fore end either. Reliable, workable setups can be had for $50-$100.
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Bore-Snake for a .22 rifle.  Makes cleaning a snap.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I second the LULA suggestion.  I bought one yesterday, and I can't say enough about it.  It is so much easier to load my magazines.  My fingers don't hurt anymore.

Other then that Ammo and mags. Lots of Ammo and mags.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 1:28:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What other specs (barrel length/type, manufacturer, plans for how you'll shoot)?

I'd add a Otis cleaning kit, lots of magazines, and perhaps a case (doesn't have to be a $200 Pelican, but something to keep the rifle in while transporting).

After that, go shoot it a lot, and then figure out if you want a different sling, scope, bipod, mags, or want a benchrest, rangebag, different ammo, etc.

Have fun,

-Zmeja
View Quote

Good post, and I agree completely.

Just shoot the sh*t out of it, IRON SIGHTS first, get REAL good at it too, then put the optic on it.

Keep shooting it bare bones but ALOT, and your accessories requirements (if any) will start to evolve.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Good advise so far... consider a .22lr conversion kit so you can get even more practice without breaking the bank...
Link Posted: 4/16/2003 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I second the LULA suggestion. I bought one yesterday, and I can't say enough about it. It is so much easier to load my magazines. My fingers don't hurt anymore.
View Quote

Doesnt anyone use strippers anyomore?
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 2:32:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I second the LULA suggestion. I bought one yesterday, and I can't say enough about it. It is so much easier to load my magazines. My fingers don't hurt anymore.
View Quote

View Quote

Go to the "Magazine" forum and they talk about them frequently.  Even have a 3 page thread on bandoleers and stripper clips.
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 3:46:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Another upper with a 16" brl, an EOTech scope, flip up front and rear back up sights, a front pistol grip and a Surefire light.
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 4:34:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I DO, I DO!!  I just attended a CQB class and I loaded all my mags in the field with stripper clips.  Very convenient and very fast, even compared to the LULA.

Link Posted: 4/17/2003 4:35:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Lots of good advice given so far.  I’ll throw in my .02:

Must haves:
Bore snake
Small bottle of CLP for the butt stock

Optional, but nice to have:
Hogue grip
Rite-Pull from Sinclair Industries (this moves the pistol grip back just enough so your trigger finger is in the correct position on the trigger; a very cool add on)
Complete butt stock cleaning kit
One-piece, coated cleaning rod
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I like to use strippers, but most of those locally know me now and won't go home with me anymore.
Sluggo
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Great advice so far,

For what it's worth, if you're going to use a one piece coated guide road, a nice cleaning rod guide is a very cool thing to have. I use an aluminum JP enterprises one but there are other choices in plastic/delrin available from brownells.

The guide ensures that your fancy coated one piece guide rod is properly centered in the barrel. As far as fancy coated one piece guide rods go, I use a dewey and recommend them highly.

A DEFENDER for the extractor spring is a nice thing to have and it's an inexpensive way to improve reliability. Similar results can be had by going to a Wolf heavy duty extractor spring and the little black insert.

You might like a Giles sling better than that factory 2 point but I don't know that it's a gotta have item. Good luck with it.

Slugger,

Your post is too funny.

Link Posted: 4/23/2003 3:13:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Aside from the normal mags/ammo/practice, I'll throw in a few additions that work for me:

A good sling (whatever floats your boat)...
PRI military latch...just feels better
Ambi-selector (I'm ambi)
Ergo grip...fits great, but maybe a Battlegrip?
Some type of iron sight/BUIS if scoped
Gapper if that area bothers you

I've also heard positive comments about McFarland's one-piece gas ring and the Accu-Wedge.

Personally, I like the combination of the Otis cleaning kit with the addition of a Bore-Snake.  Depending on the first two requirements of mags/ammo...you may want to get a good loader or at least stripper clips.  I always load up before heading to the range, and if I have to load at the range, I don't want to spend a whole lot of time.

None of the above are "must haves", but you'll eventually find a few small additions that you're more comfortable with.  Best thing is to try a few out...of course practicing at the range with them.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#21]
tac trigger???

jk
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#22]
up for more suggestions.  I just bought a shorty bushy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Where does one purchase one of these mag loaders?

Also: I've been told that there is a little plastic thing that fills in the gap in the lower trigger guard.  Anyone out there know what this is called and where I can find one?

Thanks

Mike Sigman
[email protected]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#24]
the gapper at brownells about $3.00 just put one in my new ar well worth the money.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:13:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Do yourself a favor and replace the standard grip.  I'd recommend a Hogue or Ergo.
View Quote

I fully agree.  All of mine have Hogue's on them (except for the cav arms, but even that has the slip on Hogue).  You won't need a gapper if you change out to the Hogue.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#26]
BATTLEGRIP. www.tangodownllc.com
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 3:36:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Where does one purchase one of these mag loaders?
View Quote

Mike, I got my LULA from Denny's Guns on an AR Forums member special.  As a matter of fact, he is running that special again right now!
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=24&t=156490&w=searchPop[/url]

[url]www.globaltactical.com[/url] also carries them.

This is MONEY WELL SPENT!  The LULA is fantastic, every AR15 owner should have one.  Spend the other $20 on the big/military PRI latch for your charging handle if you use a scope.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:04:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What are the gotta-haves?  Aside from mags that is..

I'm picking up my AR Saturday.  It's an A2 style with a scope, a bipod, and a sling.

What are your opinions on must have accessories?

Thanks
Scott
View Quote

A second AR to keep the 1st one company in the safe when you're not at the range shooting it.  Plus, one can never have too many AR's, can he???[:D]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:06:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You won't need a gapper if you change out to the Hogue.
View Quote

Which Hogue are you using? i still need the Gapper with my Hogue.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:20:36 AM EDT
[#30]
I'll try to get this back to "must haves"

1: Magazines
2: Ammo
3: Eye protection
4: Hearing protection
5: Cleaning supplies (not really needed before your first trip to the range). That said, lots of guys don't do it, but I feel a lot better after at least running a CLP soaked patch through the bore of a new rifle (followed by one or more dry patches) before I fire it the first time. You'd be amazed at the crap that's in some new barrels!
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top