Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2010 9:12:54 PM EDT
I'm in the process of buying parts and want to build a versatile lower. I want to be able to put a .22lr, 5.56/.223, and a .308 upper on it. I'm under a very limited budget and can only afford 1 lower build for a while.

So my questions are:
1) What is the difference between a "multi" and "5.56" marked lower?
2)Would a Stag Arms "5.56" accomplish the above task? A local shop wants $188 out the door.
3)Any recommendations? (please consider local shops here want $100 to transfer to them.)(<––if anyone in the Bay Area knows of any lower price than that let me know!)

If the price difference is not too extreme I may consider going with a different lower than the Stag. Only reason for going with that one is that the price is right.

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm in the process of buying parts and want to build a versatile lower. I want to be able to put a .22lr, 5.56/.223, and a .308 upper on it. I'm under a very limited budget and can only afford 1 lower build for a while.

So my questions are:
1) What is the difference between a "multi" and "5.56" marked lower?  No difference besides the wording and no difference legally either.

2)Would a Stag Arms "5.56" accomplish the above task? A local shop wants $188 out the door. $188 is too high for a stag lower. Many quality lowers are easily found sub $100.

3)Any recommendations? (please consider local shops here want $100 to transfer to them.)(<––if anyone in the Bay Area knows of any lower price than that let me know!)

$100 for a transfer... uhm... that is EXTREMELY high. Driving 2 hours to a different shop is better than getting raped at $100. I get transfers for $15... so my recommendation to you is DO NOT GIVE YOUR BUSINESS TO ANY JERK WHO WILL CHARGE $100 FOR A TRANSFER

If the price difference is not too extreme I may consider going with a different lower than the Stag. Only reason for going with that one is that the price is right.

Thanks guys

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I've said it before and I'll say it again, 100.00 for a transfer is common in CA. In some areas that is as cheap as you'll find it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 11:18:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, 100.00 for a transfer is common in CA. In some areas that is as cheap as you'll find it.

I was just over at Calguns and was noticing that too. I did however find a place in Manteca Grant Brooks of Brooks Arms & Ammo) that said $20+DROS so I'm just waiting for a reply from him to confirm those prices. Its a good 35min drive from here but seems worth it if I can order a cheaper lower online. I was looking at the Spikes Tactical price and seemed good.

I looked further and found that I may need a .308 lpk, is that necessary? If it is then I might have to just build one later. I was hoping to go hunting next year with the higher cal.

Everyone here is pretty informative so I appreciate all the replies.

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 3:23:34 AM EDT
[#4]
$100 is horrible, I almost laughed at someone that told me $50 the other day.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 4:56:46 AM EDT
[#5]
The caliber marking on the lower has no legal bearing.  They could mark it 40mm and it wouldn't matter.

The only verbiage that has to be there is the serial number, the manufacturer, and the place of manufacture.

All that crap that some mfgrs put on the guns?  Like "For Mil/LEO Only"?  Don't mean squat.

You could just as well engrave "For dusting zombies and libtards only, on Tuesdays in months without an R".
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 5:12:54 AM EDT
[#6]
If it will bother you then get the "Multi" Marked lower.  Out of the 7 lowers I have 5 are marked Multi and 2 marked .223.

Also Someone correct me if I am wrong .308 wont fit on a .223 lower.  The magwell is too small.  

MAHA
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 5:14:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So my questions are:
1) What is the difference between a "multi" and "5.56" marked lower?
2)Would a Stag Arms "5.56" accomplish the above task? A local shop wants $188 out the door.

Thanks guys

This may have been a typo but I did want to point out that you can not put a .308 upper on the same lower you would use for .22lr and 5.56/.223.  The receivers, magwells, etc. are much larger on .308/AR-10 rifles.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Look for a Areo presicion lower. I believe they are a sister company to spikes. I have one myself and its great. there is a shop up in rocklin near sacramento called TDS guns. i got mine from there for $99 + dros. They were having a sale at one point and having them for $79 + dros. They are stripped of course so I bought the parts kit and did the assembly myself. They will assemble it for $50 if you want
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Palmetto State Armory is selling their stripped lowers for $69.95 each.  Pretty descent deal I think.
Link
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#10]
youll need an AR10 lower for the .308
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#11]
As others have said you can't run .308 on it, but there are other larger caliber options that will fit.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#12]
So the .308 is a different animal. I get it now.

When the first shop told me $100 for transfer (not knowing how much the norm is) I was thinking "WTF". The guy that is 30 min away confirmed that he'll do it for $20+DROS. I was looking at the Palmetto State Arms for $69 too and thinking about going that route but the Spikes Tactical is only $99 currently. If it boiled down to just those 2, which would you pick?
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Scratch the Palmetto route. CALIFORNIA: No Sales of any firearms at this time. (taken from their site)
I was liking the Spikes to begin with.
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 4:57:19 AM EDT
[#14]
ATF regulations require the original manufacturer of a "firearm" to mark it's caliber along with manufacturer's name and address and a serial number.  This has no bearing on what sort of upper you can put on any particular AR lower receiver.  As long as the round fits (.308 will NOT fit in any .223-sized AR lower), you can run it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 5:06:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
ATF regulations require the original manufacturer of a "firearm" to mark it's caliber along with manufacturer's name and address and a serial number.  This has no bearing on what sort of upper you can put on any particular AR lower receiver.  As long as the round fits (.308 will NOT fit in any .223-sized AR lower), you can run it.

Then why for instance do bolt action rifles, revolvers, my Colt 1911 and Browning HP pistols have mfr and serial number on the frame or receiver and caliber on the barrel only.  I'm not where I can look but address is city and state only, and on most of my rifles  I think it is on the barrel.

Why should AR receivers be any different.

Link Posted: 10/30/2010 5:34:32 AM EDT
[#16]
The" multi cal" will be a thing of the past . "I was told" BATFE. states that ,Manufacturer , Caliber ,& Serial number ,must be on said registered receivers.  As said above.
Basically as said, you can use any Cal. ,with a multi cal. lower , that will work with the basic AR15/16 lower. It is just not marked cal. specific.

Wonder what will happen or the BATFE will say about all the Multi cal. marked lowers out there ,I have one . Can't wait to see how this one plays out .
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 5:36:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then why for instance do bolt action rifles, revolvers, my Colt 1911 and Browning HP pistols have mfr and serial number on the frame or receiver and caliber on the barrel only.  I'm not where I can look but address is city and state only, and on most of my rifles  I think it is on the barrel.

Because way back when AR's first appeared the lower Magwell was the easiest place to put the Manufacturers info.  So although the lower receiver is essentially a hunk of metal that could be built out of wood for all the actual things it does.... thats where the serial number is... so thats the part that is regulated.

Just the way it worked out.
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because way back when AR's first appeared the lower Magwell was the easiest place to put the Manufacturers info.  So although the lower receiver is essentially a hunk of metal that could be built out of wood for all the actual things it does.... thats where the serial number is... so thats the part that is regulated.

Just the way it worked out.
Not really.  The ATF determines what part is the "firearm" for serial number control purposes on all firearms.  The AR lower receiver is specified as "the firearm" and everything else is parts.  Where's the serial number on a 1911?  It's on the frame, as it is with almost all self-loading pistols, because ATF determined the frame was the essential "firearm" part.  On a bolt action rifle, it's not what you'd call "simple" to change a barrel, and most bolt rifles are built with the expectation that it will have the same barrel forever.  But note that many bolt guns have the serial number on the receiver and the caliber on the barrel because you CAN change the barrel without creating a whole new firearm.

Link Posted: 10/30/2010 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Look for a Areo presicion lower. I believe they are a sister company to spikes. I have one myself and its great. there is a shop up in rocklin near sacramento called TDS guns. i got mine from there for $99 + dros. They were having a sale at one point and having them for $79 + dros. They are stripped of course so I bought the parts kit and did the assembly myself. They will assemble it for $50 if you want

Aero Precision has made some lower receivers for Spikes. IIRC, they made the Spikes receivers for an Arfcom group buy 1-2 years ago.

They're great lowers. Here's an article about Aero Precision.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top