Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 8:41:47 AM EDT
I am looking for a tactical scope and I'm trying to decide between the two above.  I have read numerous posts and I am still undecided.  I do like the fact that the new Mueller that will be coming out has an updated lighted reticle versus the SS which does not have a lighted reticle.  Whichever I decide on, the scope will be used at no greater that 500 yds. and most likely be used at 100 yds and closer.  I will mostly likely be using it for tactical rifle shoots at the 100 yds and closer.  I don't know if the SS 10X will be too much at closer distances and on the flip side, will the Mueller 4X not be enough at longer distances.  The scope will be mounted on the rifle in the picture, the only thing that is not pictured is the addition of an Aimpoint with an ARMS throw lever mount.  Any ideas, suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#2]
The SS would indeed be overkill for the kind of shooting you have in mind.  I have one, it's a pretty big piece of glass to begin with, and the fixed 10x makes it very hard to do anything at close range, especially if it's moving
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I had an ACOG on a 16" carbine and could shoot a steel sillouette at 500 yards.
I had a Tasco SuperSniper 10x on a .308 bolt action, and at 100 yards I had a hard time figuring which was my target and which was the guy's next to me (because the image was so close).

For "people sized" targets, a good quality 4x scope is good enough at 600 yards, let alone 100.  For hitting the 10x-ring beyond 200 yards, the SS might be better.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#4]
acog
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

A 10x sounds like total overkill for tac shoots under 100 yards.

Unless you have to thread the needle and shoot past (not through) a friendly to hit the bad guy.  Probably would not get the OK to take the shot anyway.  10x @ 100 yards is only good for sighting in the rifle.

But you can all ways live by the ARFCOM motto and........"get both"
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#7]

But you can all ways live by the ARFCOM motto and........"get both"

+1!!!

And don't forget you NEED Larue mounts for each to be properly geared out!!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top