Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/25/2005 3:20:03 PM EDT
Hi, I purchased a Leupold Mark 4 MRT M3 mil dot illuminated reticule scope a couple weeks ago. I wasn't really looking for a scope, but when I saw it for $720 I had to buy it (most sites selling for more than $900).

Anyway, I was so excited to shoot it when I received it, I went out and bought some cheap Weaver rings for $20. They are not cutting it. They are too low, slightly scratched my scope body, and I can't operate the charging handle with two fingers. When shooting at the range (50 yard), the bullets were all within about 1/2 an inch vertical, but about 5 inches horizontal (IIRC, this is usually due to improper cheek weld/positioning behind scope). I could barely get my head low enough to see a full picture; it was pretty uncomfortable.

What scope mount should I get? The scope is on a RRA M4gery flat top. I was thinking about the ARMS #22 throw levers, but which height would give me about the same as iron sights, and will any allow me to operate the charging handle properly? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Larue SPR-E.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#2]
ive been thinking about getting the mr/t for my bushy 16 incher, how does it look on gun? is this a good scope for a 1/9 16" m4 contour barrel of is it over kill?. also wil the front sight smear the sight picture at all? thanks for the info
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
ive been thinking about getting the mr/t for my bushy 16 incher, how does it look on gun? is this a good scope for a 1/9 16" m4 contour barrel of is it over kill?. also wil the front sight smear the sight picture at all? thanks for the info

I like the look of the scope on the rifle, not too big of a scope so it fits the compact look of the rifle. I'd post a picture, but don't have a digital camera. As I said, I wasn't really buying this scope particularly for this rifle, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with the M4 profile 16" barrel. It supposedly compensates for bullet drop with a 62gr. 5.56/.223 bullets, but the compensation might be a little off with the 16" barrel.

The front sight post didn't get in the way of the image at the range, but when there is direct light shining on the post, the image whitens and blurs a little. But, this should be cleared up with some higher rings, or if that doesn't work, a flipup front sight and low profile gas block.

That LaRue mount looks great, but where can I buy one?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, I found a LaRue SPR mount for $195 at G and R Tactical. Just bought it. Thanks for all the help guys. I'll let you know how it works out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Try a set of Warne ultra high Q.D. rings.  They are solid steel and will mount right to your flat top.  No building a house of cards with risers, bases, etc.  They will place the reticle of your scope at the same level as an A2 carryhandle iron site.  This will give plenty of room to operate your charging handle and give you good cheek weld.  The best I've seen and under $79.  Its been a while but I think Lock Stock and Barrel had the best prices.  Check them out on line.   Looks better/cleaner  than the ARMS stuff too.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#6]
The Warne rings look like a good deal, but I need the mount to put the scope a little farther ahead of the actual flat top rail. The LaRue mounts seem to be the only ones that can do this. Thanks for the suggestion though. The Warne rings do look like a good deal over the ARMS mounts.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top