Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2003 3:35:16 PM EDT
Originally, I thought all scopes mounted on the handle of an AR looked a little goofy or at least not near as cool as a scope mounted directly on the reciever.

For that reason, whenever I looked at ARs to purchase I always didmissed the ones that did not have the removable handle.

Needless to say, the AR I bought does have the removable handle. And Two days ago, I got a TA31 and promptly mounted it on the pica(whatever) rails (newb alert, lol).

Just fooling around with it today, I re-installed the handle and mounted in on top of the handle. I think I like it, it still looks VERY COOL!!!

It is further back and higher so it seems more "user friendly". Don't have to crane your neck down as far or foreward. Plus there is no hint of the front sight, even though you can't really see it anyway (just a shadow).

So I guess my question is...what are the advantages and disadvantages between mounting a TA31 on the handle or on the rails?????
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Compensating for the height over the muzzle.

And its always a treat finding enough muzzle clearance to not put a round into any cover in front of me.

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#2]
You have no cheekweld and therefore can introduce paralax errors by not having consistant eye placement.  Also it changes the ballistics of your reticle slightly.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Ditto the above two comments.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#4]
The only time I would mount an ACOG on the handle is if it was fixed.  You have a flat top, use it man [;)]

Handle mount does offer the advantage of using the rifle sights as a back up without removing the scope, but if your ACOG is out of action, chances are you rifle is too.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#5]
It's on the FLAT TOP and there it will stay...Thanks guys
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top