Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/3/2003 6:59:08 PM EDT
Mounting a scope with an upper that has a carry handle can be done in one or two ways.

1 - On top of the carry handle
2 - Extended in front of the carry handle

For tactical purposes and fast target acquisitions, which is better?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:10:37 PM EDT
A [i]Red Dot[/i] scope? Mounting up front of the carry handle is the best way to go.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:11:49 PM EDT
Mounting on top of the carry handle places the sight too high over the bore for effective range estimation IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:15:13 PM EDT
On top is a fucking joke! How far off of the center of the bore can you get? The Irons are already over an inch above. I laughed when I saw pics of some moron from this site shooting his cover because the dope had the carry handle mounted optic. [whacko] If you put an optic on you should try to get the dot as close to the irons as possible, IMO!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:30:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/3/2003 8:05:26 PM EDT by new-arguy]
Folks... like myself, have shot cover in front of them with optics mounted low to the bore as well. It happens, and to plenty of people. It happens to folks with iron sights, jeez man, I've sen it happen with handguns! Im sorry you feel those of us who have made this error are morons. I suppose you have never made an error similar to this?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:16:38 AM EDT
It's always good to know that the barrel is free from obstruction/cover. Under fire or on a timed course, I can see how some one can make this mistake. However, what is the best way to calibrate a scope that is in fact on the carry handle? Keep it level and hold above the intended target? Hard to do at various ranges, isn't it? Or does one angle it down and create an intersection point? That seems less feasible than the hold over... I've got a 6.5-20x that's currently carry handle mounted... I'm thinking of doing a hold over... =\
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:00:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/4/2003 8:01:13 AM EDT by mk1iii]
A flat top is by far better for mounting traditional scopes that have paralex and eye relief issues to contend with. When talking red dot optics and A2 uppers the carry handle still works very well for for this type of application. Anybody see BHD? It's a movie sure, but the Delta carbines were set up very close to what was used in real life. I guess those guys are jokes too then. If you have ever used an Aimpoint mounted on a carry handle you would know how natural of a heads up position it is. This is not the case with a telescopic sight though I will agree with that. -Mark
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:18:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/5/2003 8:45:36 AM EDT by Forest]
Ok here is how it breaks down when applie to weapons with fixed carry handles: [b]Mounting in Front of the Carry Handle:[/b] + Moves the optic further out allowing easier use with both eyes open & generally quicker to use. + Keeps the same trajectory of the iron sights and can allow precision fire (+/- 2" from the point of aim). + Uses the same cheek weld as the irons, and minimal head movement is required if the batteries die and you are forced to go to the irons. + the carryhandle & front sight offer some impact protection. - By moving the optic further out it can make the rifle feel more 'nose heavy'. - Gooseneck mount generally costs more and weighs slightly more [b]Mounted On Top of the Carryhandle[/b] + Less expensive & generally lighter mount. * Allows for a 'heads up' hold (some prefer this). + In case the optic gets obscured (say by mud) you drop your head down and use the iron sights through the channel. Since they are not inline with the optic they won't be obscured as well. - slightly slower to transition from optics to irons. - Trajectory (with a 3.5" to 4" Height Over Bore) will be very steep. Though good enough for COM hits to 300M (with a trajectory of +/- 4" from point of aim). [i]Edited for Spelling[/i]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:31:52 PM EDT
Thanks for all the info. It appears mounting in front of the carry handle makes more sense especially since some of the competitive shooting has varying distance and steel plates that can be only 3 inches wide. Having the dot mounted on top of the carry handle and zeroed at a particular distance could be problematic with such small targets and varying distances.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:34:58 PM EDT
I'm working on a mount that holds the optic two feet above the center line of the bore! I call it the douche bag one thousand mount! You can shoot from the hip while looking thru your FAD optic!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:13:12 AM EDT
What about the movie "Black Hawk" where the D-Boys had their Aimpoints mounted on top of the carry handle. Was this before flat tops were "standard"? I hate mounting any optic on top of a carrying handle (hell I don't even use a carrying handle anymore). I tried it with "cheap" optics and the things never worked. Plus you can't get a good cheek weld because you have to raise your head up a little bit. My vote is to have a red dot optic as far up as it will go (i.e. - the infamous #22m68 w/cantilever spacer). Both eyes open is a breeze and you can get a good cheek weld while doing so.....
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:14:42 AM EDT
I'm working on a mount that holds the optic two feet above the center line of the bore! I call it the douche bag one thousand mount! You can shoot from the hip while looking thru your FAD optic!
View Quote
I agree. Anything that you make should have your name on it! [:)]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:41:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By markm: On top is a fucking joke! How far off of the center of the bore can you get? The Irons are already over an inch above. I laughed when I saw pics of some moron from this site shooting his cover because the dope had the carry handle mounted optic. [whacko] If you put an optic on you should try to get the dot as close to the irons as possible, IMO!
View Quote
While having the red dot in line with your irons is nice, I would not call a mount method used by some of our most elite operators a joke. I have seen pics from as recently as this year of our SF guys with Aimpoints and ACOGS on their carry handles. Would you be willing to tell them their guns are a joke or that they are morons in person?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:48:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By M4WU: What about the movie "Black Hawk" where the D-Boys had their Aimpoints mounted on top of the carry handle. Was this before flat tops were "standard"?
View Quote
Yes - before flattops & gooseneck mounts. Those were commercial purchase red-dots as it was BEFORE the M68s. As pointed out some operators still do this for some of the points (+) noted above.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:35:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/5/2003 3:35:41 PM EDT by armatt15]
Mark1iii, [ROFL2]
Top Top