Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2004 2:05:01 PM EDT
What kind of irritation would it cause me to mount a red dot optic straight onto my flat top, without a riser or something to elevate it?  I have a flip-down front site, but I'm not sure if I will have to 'hunch down' too much or not to aim.  Any one know?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#1]

One more question - which T number do I install the red dot optic on?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:38:44 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of optic? I had an Eotech on one of mine with no issues. My BUIS doesn't fit on there with it though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:40:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Just a cheap one for now, like 30mm.  I wish I could find a pic.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:49:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Having the optic that low would negate some of the speed associated with having the red dot.  You'd have to have your face buried into the weapon so basically you'd be shooting it as if you had iron sights.  In the least get a riser for the mount.  You'll be much happier.

ETA, I was thinking Aimpoint when I posted this.  Other optics can be mounted strait to the flattop.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#5]
One of the things that I like about the riser, and the "co-witnessing" of the Aimpoint with the Irons, is that once I have the irons zeroed, all I have to do is adjust the dot so that it sits atop the Front Sight Post, when looking through the rear peep sight.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:13:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the advice folks.  P.S.  The rifle in question is this:

+ one more question:

I've got a brand new Colt bolt & carrier and a used Bushy bolt, new DPMS carrier combo.  Is it a stupid idea to want to save the Colt B/C for some special upper in the future that I have in mind, and use the latter B/C setup in this rifle?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:26:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Beetle - see my IMs concerning your questions on mounting the BSA RD-30.

I would use the Colt bolt carrier group for this rifle.  Keep the Bushy bolt for your spare/repair bolt.

Sell the DPMS bolt/carrier group and use the money for a BUIS or put it toward an EOTech.  I've heard of too many issues with DPMS bolt/carrier groups to be comfortable with them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
One less moving part.

My Aimpoint cowitness just fine with my iron sites without a riser.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=87

Yes, but that mount is the correct height.  The ring tha came with my Comp M would have me looking sideways with my eye toucking the stock to be able to use it without a riser.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
One more question - which T number do I install the red dot optic on?

What ever one you feel is most comfortable/ergonomic/good looking.  Just remember what number you have it on so you will always put it back in the same place.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Get a Tapco POS flat top riser mount. Under $20.00

M4-AK
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Thanks.  You people kick ass.  Now, if I can just find somewhere to get the barrel threaded...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:35:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thanks.  You people kick ass.  Now, if I can just find somewhere to get the barrel threaded...

ADCO...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top