Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 10:55:49 AM EDT
Whats the best way to attache a tape switch to your VFG. I have a SIR rail, so i can't use a tango grip...so i need to attach it to my KAC vfg.  Anyone with any pics?
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#1]
A couple of pieces of bicylcle inner tubes - the so-called 'ranger bands'.  They hold the switch securely, are not effected by heat or solvents, and don't leave any sticky residue behind when you remove them.

They can also be used to secure the wires to the forearm so you don't snag.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A couple of pieces of bicylcle inner tubes - the so-called 'ranger bands'.  They hold the switch securely, are not effected by heat or solvents, and don't leave any sticky residue behind when you remove them.

They can also be used to secure the wires to the forearm so you don't snag.

+1

Even with my VLTOR VFG, I use the bands instead of anything "Sticky" to hold the pad in the slot. Many times I want to take my Laser off that uses the Tape Switch slot in the VLTOR grips, and then I replace it with the piece that fits into the slot. I leave 2 bands on my VFG at all times.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Where can I get "Ranger Bands?"
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Where can I get "Ranger Bands?"

You make them.

Get a bicycle inner tube, make cut going across.  Wide ones dont' stretch as much as the thin bands.

Go to a bike shop and get a busted tube for free (they throw them out).  Even from a severly damaged tube you can get dozens of good ranger bands.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A couple of pieces of bicylcle inner tubes They can also be used to secure the wires to the forearm so you don't snag.

+1
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, bike inner tube is the way to go! I had better luck with one piece rather that separate smaller pieces. I no longer use a pressure sw but kept the inner tube because of the feel it gives the VG.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#7]
You can also use plastic zip ties to secure the cable to the rail system.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You can also use plastic zip ties to secure the cable to the rail system.

Good point, but the Ranger Bands are re-usable and allow you to remove the light w/o tools and reattach it while at the range, during a class, or in the field.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess I'm not understanding how they can be used to secure wires to the forearm.
Forest, please elaborate.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Imagine the band running complete around the forearm.  The wires would then be run under the bands (perpendicular) from the light to just over the VFG.  Then the wires would drop down 90 degrees at the VFG (and the bands on the VFG would handle it from there.

I wish I could take some photos - but I sold off my last tapeswitch operated light a few of years ago after taking my first carbine course.  I prefer to active my lights via the button on the back with my thumb.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top