Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/17/2006 8:57:00 PM EDT
I have a 16" midlength AR that I am trying to buy a folding front sight for.  It has a Daniel Defense 9.0 rail system and a dovetailed gas block.

Which surface would be best to mount a front sight on?  The rail should still be farther our then the front sight on a carbine but I am not too sure about that.  Would I lose any accuracy if I mounted it on the rail or would I be better off finding one that mounts on the gas block?  I have noticed that there are alot more sight options for the rail then the gas block.

Also, what brands should I be looking for?  If I can mount it on the rail I was thinking either Troy or PRi.  I have a Matech BUIS in the rear if that makes any difference.  I also have an aimpoint that might occasionally be mounted on my AR, but currently it is not.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I am going through the same process right now.  I'm building a 9mm and am going to mount my front YHM flip up on the end of the free float.  From what I have been told people seem to think that mounting on the gas block is better because the free float has a far greater chance of moving.

If your rail moves you loose your zero.  This rifle will just be a fun sand pit gun so I am going to take my chances mounting on the free float.

Check out this thread I started:

sight mounting

It doesent get very detailed but it may answer a few of your questions.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:02:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I went with the flip sight / gas block because it is just about as low as the FF railed handguard
and putting one on the rail seemed like it was defeating the purpose.

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:26:22 AM EDT
[#3]
civprod...I have a 16" midlength AR that I am trying to buy a folding front sight for. It has a Daniel Defense 9.0 rail system and a dovetailed gas block. Which surface would be best to mount a front sight on?
you might consider a popular folding front sight such as PRI which includes an integral gas block...linky
http://www.pri-mounts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PRI&Product_Code=05_0025&Category_Code=AR15_M16_ACC
i'm not sure how any of these sights interact with a 'midlength' barrel which repositions the gas hole further forward, but this sight nestled into my DD 9.0 FSP rail on a regular 16" barrel is a great combo
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top