Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2004 5:52:56 PM EDT
How is the best way to mount a Hakko Bed 24 sight and an arms 40 sight on an ar15/M4 flat top? Would it be better to buy railed hand guards, or mount a top rail on the standard carb hand guard and would it be flushed with the flat top receiver so when Bed 24 extends beyond flat top receiver.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a BED24, and it won't fit on the flat-top with anything EXCEPT the ARMS#40, and even then you can't use the "multi-reticle" feature because the #40 won't let the rear lever move to the two middle positions.

I purchased a Daniel Defense 9.0 forend for my mid-length.  I put the front clamp of the BED24 on the forend rail, the rear clamp on the receiver, and it works with any BUIS now.

I wouldn't get an extension because the BED24 is already so tall that the iron sights sit in the bottom of the window.  Any higher and you couldn't see your irons at all.

If you don't already own the BED24, I'd look at OKO first.  It's shorter, so it fits without a forend, and I personally think the OKO I had was clearer than the Hakko I have now.  The Hakko is good, but I think the OKO was better.  YMMV

If you DO already own the BED24, then I'd personally suggest taking a look at the YHM forends, as they're good quality at a good price.  Daniel Defense is higher quality, but at 3x the price.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:42:36 PM EDT
[#2]
does anyone else have more to give me on this issue
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The reticle selector is easily modified to use with a BUIS. The newer BED35 is much shorter and has an improved mount. With it, you'll have no "real estate" issues. I'm not an OKO fan. The Hakko is a much nicer sight, IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for your input I am here to learn for you people that knows, I have carried, fired, slept, and fought with the m16, m16a1 and finished off with the m16A2 and a 9mm with just steel sight this is all new to me. thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:37:24 AM EDT
[#5]
How would I Modified it
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#6]
The mods I've seen (and done) are to dremel the reticle selector tap to clear the BUIS. With a #40 you'll end up cutting  the tab off and using strips of skateboard tape on the sides of the selector to turn it. Touch up with Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black. The KAC 300 Meter sight is easier to clear. The tab can be beveled on the bottom to clear and still have a tab for switching reticles.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Could I use a ARMS 38ex sight and rail and would it fit over my M4 handguard
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Could I use a ARMS 38ex sight and rail and would it fit over my M4 handguard

Not sure about the handgaurd clearance. The Hakko might seem a little high on a raised rail as it was designed to be the right height for a flatop reciever. Sorry I can't be a little more definative. Anyone else?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top