Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/5/2003 8:00:17 AM EDT
Hi folks,

I took step one in my 2nd home-built AR-15 project.  I got a nice stainless DPMS barrel for a flat top target gun.  I want to do a DPMS Lo-Pro target upper receiver and free float tube.

My question is, how do you attach a bipod to the free float tube?  I've been told that you must drill the tube and screw in a swivel.  That sounds ugly!  Is there a better way?  Does anyone out there make a bipod for free float tubes?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:52:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, but there is no way around it. All bipods require some sort of studs or screwed attachment.  The most popular one, Harris, requires a sling stud.  Don't worry, it is not that hard or ugly, just make sure that you either drill it perpendicular to the round free float tube at the 6:00 o'clock position, OR index the tube after to position the stud at the 6:00 o'clock position.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:37:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Some free float tubes have a standard stud (Armalite fiberglass tube for example). Then you can easily install a Harris bipod.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:43:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Have in mind the bipod you're going to use and take some measurments.

Make sure that the bipod stud is back far enough so the bipod doesn't stick out past the end of the free float tube.

Also be sure not to have any screws or bolts touching your barrel when done.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:04:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Okay, thanks for confirming this.

Do you need to drill and tap?  Is there a recommended stud that can just screw into the aluminum?

How about this: what if I cut the stud's thread off and epoxy it in place?  I'm going to use a ventilated FF tube and I would think that the heat shouldn't be bad enough to bother the epoxy.

Thanks for the advice so far.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:15:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I have used this setup on a couple of FF tubes.  It is very solid:

[url=http://metalcraft-ar15.com/accessories.htm]Metalcraft Specialties Sling Swivel/Stud Assembly[/url]

[img]http://metalcraft-ar15.com/images/slingswivel.jpg[/img]

Since it comes with a nut that goes insided your handguard, all you need to do is drill the hole.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top