Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Motor oil as lube (Page 3 of 3)
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:54:00 PM EST
I have a plastic bucket with a strainer basket.   I fill the bucket with Mobil 1 and fully submerge parts using the strainer basket.  Parts come clean with little to no work overnight.   My bucket lasts a year or two.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 9:31:29 PM EST
Mobil 1
15W-50 Full Synthetic. I've been using the same qt. bottle for a long time.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:09:39 AM EST
I use Mobil 1 in the car/truck/SUVs and what is left over in the jugs is used to lube guns.  I fill up small oil bottles for my use, and for my sons and nephew.  No one has complained yet.

No rust.

Have never tried to use oil as a cleaning solvent.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 10:01:02 AM EST
When I was in the Army in the late 70s we would get a tub of motor oil from the motor pool and soak our M16 parts in that while doing our cleaning--never had any problems. My philosophy, if it ain't broke....  
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:41:50 AM EST
Ran an AK dry in a class and used full synthetic in a pinch and it worked great.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 8:33:36 PM EST
Mobil 1 synthetic grease in 2” diameter grease gun tubes from the farm last about forever.

Red Line 20W50 for racing engines is about the most sophisticated engine oil there is.  One quart lasts like wise forever.

When my last quart ran out, I tried several gun products none of which were as good.  Several of the fancy names either dry out or cake.

Most recently, SLIP2000EWL seems better than anything else I ever used.  It seems to partially evaporate but leave a thin coating.

Link Posted: 6/18/2020 3:51:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/18/2020 3:54:54 PM EST by PursuitSS]
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 5:03:06 AM EST
This is an old thread and I commented almost 2 years ago...but I think I am going to finally make the switch to Mobil1 for gun lube.

Buying 2 ounce bottle of Slip 2000 for $12 is about $200 a quart to put into perspective

I retired from the company that makes Mobil1 and I have been using it since 1980's in everything that has a spark plug

Bronc
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 9:04:18 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jeepnstein:
I have a plastic bucket with a strainer basket.   I fill the bucket with Mobil 1 and fully submerge parts using the strainer basket.  Parts come clean with little to no work overnight.   My bucket lasts a year or two.
View Quote

Interesting.

Link Posted: 6/26/2020 9:43:41 AM EST
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:
This is an old thread and I commented almost 2 years ago...but I think I am going to finally make the switch to Mobil1 for gun lube.

Buying 2 ounce bottle of Slip 2000 for $12 is about $200 a quart to put into perspective

I retired from the company that makes Mobil1 and I have been using it since 1980's in everything that has a spark plug

Bronc
View Quote

Yes. Being the OP, I'm finding it crazy that this one is still going.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 3:24:21 PM EST
Remember the old frying pan demo, but keep in mind that Mobil-1 has changed formulas in the past 30+ years, which caused a lot of ire in performance auto world.
Not sure the frying pan thing is still valid.

And now they have come out with many different formulas...
Mobil-1 Oils
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 8:13:00 PM EST
I’ve been using Mobile 1 0w10 full synthetic for more than 10 years, still have more than half left. I’ve run it when I was on a DOD tactical team which had a seemingly unending ammo supply. We shot thousands of rounds each month. Always seemed to keep our M4’s pretty clean. We all hated CLP never really did anything very good. It was marginal as a lube, marginal as a cleaner, marginal at preventing rust.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:08:50 PM EST
I mixed one quart of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil with one quart of Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid.  Then to thicken it a bit for other applications, I mixed some clear synthetic grease with it until I got the viscosity I wanted.  It is a fabulous lube for AR15, 1911, Glock, and every other firearm I have tried it on.

When you think about it, automobile lubricants are designed to operate under great heat, pressure, and at high temperatures....all the things that happen in firearms, so it stands to reason that the lube would work great.  

Plus, the two quarts of liquid lube, and the tube of synthetic grease cost me a total of around $27.00 for just over two quarts of lube.  Most gun oils cost around $8.00 for 4 fluid ounces...so my lube mixture is far cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 4:52:28 PM EST
Mobil 1 synthetic for me. I have been using Mobile 1 for over 10-years.

I use a very thin coat of Mobile 1 which works well in all of my firearms from .22 to 8mm.

I just changed over to CLP from Hoppes for cleaning.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 3:01:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By Larry1096:

Some straight M1, some mixed with Mobil 1 synthetic grease until it's somewhere between the two, which seems to work well for the BCG and pistol rails.

Larry
View Quote

BINGO! ++
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 11:48:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By Speedwinder:
Mobil 1 synthetic for me. I have been using Mobile 1 for over 10-years.

I use a very thin coat of Mobile 1 which works well in all of my firearms from .22 to 8mm.

I just changed over to CLP from Hoppes for cleaning.
View Quote

You should try Shooter Choice for your cleaner. I’ve been using it for about 20 years and don’t think I’ll ever quit using it. It does a much better job than Hoppes and is about 10 times better than CLP. I made some good money cleaning M4s when I was at Ft Leonard Wood. Charge $20 a M4 and would take about 10 minutes to clean, some guys spent over an hour trying to get their M4 cleaned with CLP. We put thousands of rounds threw those M4 each day (7-8 five gallon buckets full each day for 28 students) and the Shooters Choice cleaned them up real quick and easy.

I do agree with your choice of lube.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 1:29:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/31/2020 1:31:24 PM EST by ad_nauseam]
Originally Posted By Genin:
I mixed one quart of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil with one quart of Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid.  Then to thicken it a bit for other applications, I mixed some clear synthetic grease with it until I got the viscosity I wanted.  
View Quote

Can you clarify  what percentage of grease you used and how you got it mixed. It doesn't seem like grease would mix with motor oil but then I never tried it.
I got some synthetic grease just not Mobil 1 type.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 11:50:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/18/2020 12:00:13 AM EST by MS556]
Stated this before, worth repeating.  Shell Rotella T6.

Synthetic motor oils like Mobil 1 make sense.  Even better sense are synthetic motor oils designed for diesel engines.  They run richer than gasoline engines and have much heavier carbon particulates.  Diesel oil detergent additives help keep the burned fuel residue and carbon from sticking.  Our direct impingement gas systems are carbon dirty.

Instead of Mobil 1 use Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic diesel formula.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 11:51:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By chibajoe:
Mobil 1 full synthetic.  Used it for years, never hand any problems.  I've switched to cherry balmz, the stuff is simply better.
View Quote

THIS
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 7:25:55 AM EST
Any oil is better than no oil.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 7:05:53 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 8:45:35 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 8:46:47 PM EST
I mixed one quart of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil with one quart of Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid.  Then to thicken it a bit for other applications, I mixed some clear synthetic grease with it until I got the viscosity I wanted.  It is a fabulous lube for AR15, 1911, Glock, and every other firearm I have tried it on.

When you think about it, automobile lubricants are designed to operate under great heat, pressure, and at high temperatures....all the things that happen in firearms, so it stands to reason that the lube would work great.  

Plus, the two quarts of liquid lube, and the tube of synthetic grease cost me a total of around $27.00 for just over two quarts of lube.  Most gun oils cost around $8.00 for 4 fluid ounces...so my lube mixture is far cheaper.
View Quote

I’ve got no dog in this fight but automotive oils are designed to work in a closed system.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 2:28:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:

I’ve got no dog in this fight but automotive oils are designed to work in a closed system.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:

And aren't they toxic too? I'm in the process of switching from Break Free CLP to Slip 2000 partially because it's a better lube and partially because Slip 2000 is non toxic.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Motor oil as lube (Page 3 of 3)
Top Top