Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/4/2003 11:20:36 AM EDT
From what I have been reading most of the problems encountered when building a 9mm AR is a result of the mag well block. I have definitely decided to buy a RRA 9mm complete upper to put on my Bushmaster lower. Is there a mag well block out there that has a reputation of working good right out of the box without having to be pinned, dremelled, filed, or modified to work properly with a RRA setup?
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 5:09:22 AM EDT
I went with the Garrison block. There is only 1 draw back and not really a drawback if you are using a dedicated lower. In order for the bolt open to work (only works with COLT MAGS like everyone else) you have to use a factory 9mm bolt open. Because of this, if you install the mag block and then the 9mm bolt open, you CAN NOT remove the mag block without removing the bolt open first. But like I said, if you are just gonna use UZI mags then don't worry about changing the bolt open. Other then that straight out of the box you are ready to play. It uses UZI mags(notched) or Colt style mags.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:57:45 AM EDT
The American Spirit Arms block seems to be the simplest tested block on the market. Drops in from the top and seems to run well from what everyone around here says. The newer blocks can be a bit tight for some aftermarket mags (may have to sand a bit) but as long as you use Israeli IMI type mags (have a 5 point star or Star of David on them) the new block works great. You can get those mags at www.coledistributing.com The Garrision looks promising, as DrugRnR said, you just drop it in like the ASA block and if you want you can get a slotted block for an additional $10 and the special bolt catch for an additional $15 that allows the bolt hold-open to work with colt mags. The Garrison block is also $25 cheaper for the equivalent (non-slotted) model to the ASA block.
Top Top