Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/4/2005 7:04:01 AM EDT
I was loading my ancient 20s when I came across one of these mythical beasts. It cycled fine, only it loaded to a maximum capacity of 18 rounds (or 19 rounds non-functioning). I took the magazine apart and noticed no damage/obstruction inside. Upon reassembly I tried another load, and sure enough, it held and cycled 20 rounds.

My hypothesis is that a few guys in VN received magazines in which the spring wasn't inserted properly or they did it themselves upon reassembly. Between those "18 rounders" & a few (properly running) mags that held 20 they probably figured better safe than sorry.  Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds reasonable. Another issue is when you want to change magazines when the bolt is closed and it is harder to do with a full magazine of any capacity.

Mild Bill
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Sounds reasonable. Another issue is when you want to change magazines when the bolt is closed and it is harder to do with a full magazine of any capacity.

Mild Bill

I had found this to be true without knowing it to be a debate....

At a recent AR competiton, (my first) I loaded all my  30 mags  to the max.
I had decided to change mags on the  28 shot, saving time on the on the bolt charging.
Well, that mag just wouldn't lock in!! have
docgary
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#3]
lol i had my friends laughing their asses off with me loading a full mag into my AR with the bolt closed and assumeing it clicked in... pull the chargeing handle and the mag drops out
found you really have to slam it home with the bolt closed and full mag
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Mild Bill

I've not run into that problem yet. guess I'm lucky.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
lol i had my friends laughing their asses off with me loading a full mag into my AR with the bolt closed and assumeing it clicked in... pull the chargeing handle and the mag drops out

Thats why you should put it in and give it a little tug to make sure it's seated properly. If ya do that you won't run into the mag falling out on ya.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My hypothesis is that a few guys in VN received magazines in which the spring wasn't inserted properly or they did it themselves upon reassembly. Between those "18 rounders" & a few (properly running) mags that held 20 they probably figured better safe than sorry.  Your thoughts?

Your hypothesis is correct.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mild Bill

I've never had that experience with a USGI 20-rounder.  Never heard of the problem with USGI 20-rounders if the springs are installed correctly.  However, I personally HAVE experienced this with USGI 30-rounders.  Many instructors teach to down load 30-rounders to 28 rounds.  The same instructors teach to load 20-rounders to full capacity.   YMMV

I suspect it won't be long before this thread evolves into a big pissing match about how many rounds to load in mags.  

I should have stayed out of this discussion since only a few times loaded more that 5 rds.

Regards,
Mild Bill
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#9]
We have known this for a long time.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#11]
During WWII, a 30 round magazine was developed for the Thompson 45 submachine gun.  Originally all magazines held 20 rounds or were the drum magazines seen in all the old gangster movies.  They didn't work properly.  If you loaded 29 or 30 round in them they were so heavy that they would fall out of the gun on the first shot.  It was advised that they should load only 28 rounds in them.   With 28 rounds, no problems.  Or do what my father-in-law did with his.  Use the drum magazine.  

I sometimes wonder if this problem was where it all started.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yeah, it sucks when you don't train properly with mags loaded to full (normal) capacity, and then try and "play" that way.  30 round magazines were designed to hold 30 rounds, just as 20 round mags were designed to hold 20 rounds.  Make sure you don't break a nail next time.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
30 round mags were designed to be loaded to 30 rounds when no one was taught how to do a proper tac load with your weak side hand.  Remember, you must shove the loaded magazine on a closed bolt while also retaining the partially empty mag with the same weak side hand.  Thinking and doctrine has changed and loading 28 makes very good sense if you are doing a proper tac load.

I can insert a fully loaded thirty on a closed bolt no problem but not while doing a proper tac load while retaing the removed mag.

If you are doing a proper tac load, you are in far better shape with 28 rnds per mag than shooting your fully loaded 30's to bolt lock.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought I knew better.
1991, desert with M-16A1.  New right out of the box 20rd mags, I think they were Adventure Line.
Box dated from the 1960s.  I loaded about 6 or 7 mags with 20rds each.  They fit fine.  I did not take them apart prior to using them.  M-193 ammo.  Had a hard time getting the bolt to push the top round out during loading.  After firing the bolt did not have enough force to strip the next round.  Cleared that 19th round and the rest fired fine.  Same thing happened with the next 5 or 6 mags.
Rifle worked fine with the 30rders loaded with 30rds.  Except for range use I will download by 2 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:53:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, it sucks when you don't train properly with mags loaded to full (normal) capacity, and then try and "play" that way.  30 round magazines were designed to hold 30 rounds, just as 20 round mags were designed to hold 20 rounds.  Make sure you don't break a nail next time.

ohhhh i just gotta say ,,|,,
and i only did it once when i first built it! lol i was a ak guy and with those you rock them in and you get a nice loud click.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:52:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd love to see some of these guys in a carbine class.

As Pat puts it - "Whatever falls on the deck is mine."

Some of you guys would run out of mags before the day is over.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top