Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2004 5:19:49 PM EDT
I read a post in here on polymer lowers and really wanted to know how strong these are compared to the forged aluminum ones.  I saw some with the stock and pistol grip permanently mounted on which looked lame.  I have a Bushmaster catalogue and saw the Carbon 15 lowers which look to have the options of replacing pistol grip and stock, but dont' know what stocks are actually available for those either.  What's out there that has the best durability and versatility in a lightweight build using aluminum upper.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw some with the stock and pistol grip permanently mounted on which looked lame.

those are made by calvary arms, and are the best, great company

hesse makes em, run away

the other alternative is the bushmonster one, i like it too
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I own a cav arms.

i bet you a new lower its strong enough to but stroke you 10 times in the head with no damage.

to the receiver....

The ergo on the lower is awesome.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I read a post in here on polymer lowers and really wanted to know how strong these are compared to the forged aluminum ones.  I saw some with the stock and pistol grip permanently mounted on which looked lame.  I have a Bushmaster catalogue and saw the Carbon 15 lowers which look to have the options of replacing pistol grip and stock, but dont' know what stocks are actually available for those either.  What's out there that has the best durability and versatility in a lightweight build using aluminum upper.  

CavArms makes great stock/reciever units, but they are fixed-stock only so if you want a telestock, you have to go with Hesse or Bushmaster.

The Hesse carbon lowers (a) aren't made by Hesse, and (b) are the only good product that they sell...

And of course, Bushmaster bought Pro-Ord and now makes the Carbon-15.

The last 2 use standard AR components, as they are merely polymer lowers....
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:29:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Hesse, now Vulcan Arms', carbon-armide lower is the closest thing to a conventional lower.  Assembles the same way.  Last I checked, Bushy did not offer their lower in a stripped form.  Their newest() Carbon series I saw had an actual buffer tube threaded in...... so I"m guessing it is similar to the Vulcan lower now..... just a guess.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:42:54 PM EDT
[#5]
It would be nice if CavArms made a standard AR polymer lower....
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Anyone know of ANY company or individual that has tried making an 80% polymer or carbon fiber lower ?

I've had several of the C-15's and they are great, now I want to expand my horizons and build a lightweight AR-15 myself. I know there are LOTs of companies that do the aluminum 80% lowers, but I've never seen (or even heard of) someone doing a polymer/carbon fiber lower build.

Can't seen any reason why it couldn't be done though ... just need a thermo-forming machine h.gif )

zeme
alaska
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:16:16 AM EDT
[#7]
My "hesse" poly lower has survived just fine here.

I've heard they aren't made by Hesse (Vulcan) but haven't been able to figure out who's actually making them.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top