Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/13/2007 4:44:30 PM EDT
This is my second order from Blackthorne (first was the complete Varmint upper) harging

Slick!! Definately a satisfied customer x2 !!
Link Posted: 3/13/2007 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Hoooah! good deal,hope I can post good things tomorrow as well.
Link Posted: 3/13/2007 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Ordered my parts on Thursday the 8th, got my tracking number Monday the 12th, parts scheduled to arrive this Thursday the 15th.  Unfortunately I will be out of town until the 17th hijack
Link Posted: 3/14/2007 3:55:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Wierd that it went to $800, although I have seen vendors go to like $999.99 when an item is outta stock just to get your attention so you don't accidently order one and then bitch when it's not delevered next day cause you don't know how to read.....

Slick!!   Who thinks it's gonna be a long day till the BBT arrives!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2007 5:18:22 AM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
Wierd that it went to $800, although I have seen vendors go to like $999.99 when an item is outta stock just to get your attention so you don't accidently order one and then bitch when it's not delevered next day cause you don't know how to read.....

You're probably right Yoslick.  

Looking forward to seeing your pics, and maybe even a range report when ya get to it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2007 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Glad to see another forum for Blackthorne.  Since the last one was locked I have built two Blackthornes and noticed that both needed the buffer/stock plate filed down because it was too high and impeded the bolt carrier to function.  Is this a common problem for the rest of you?  Another thing was the pistol grip where it slides over the receiver was a little too narrow making it difficult to get on the lower receiver.  It was real tight when I did (which was kind of nice considering the selector spring) but something I have not seen on other builds.  I too have noticed the out of stock carbines (which is precisely what I will get once they are back in stock).  I wrote them and they said that they are not accepting orders for them right now, not even for $800.

Link Posted: 3/14/2007 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I wish my last build from Sarco would have been that tight, seems like theres at least an 1/8" gap around it. I have not had any problems with the carrier,charging handle  assy's as of yet..

Slick!
Link Posted: 3/14/2007 7:00:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Slick.  Also since I'm posting here I just want to get the attention of any AK builders out there that know where I can get specs on an AK bending jig or who can build one for an economical price.  I'm trying to get everything set up for those here in Utah can build them before any bans are passed.

Link Posted: 3/14/2007 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok mine arrived yesterday afternoon everything looks good except the crappy hand gaurds.I am still waiting for my lower to get here
Link Posted: 3/14/2007 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#9]
uscombatbiver go the AK-47 button at the top of this page and they have what you need.
Link Posted: 3/14/2007 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got back from the range with my 16in.  a3 build.  I have the same problem with my buffer plate.  The handguards dont fit great but I think I can adjust them to fit better if I try.  
The packaging for the kit was horrible but nothing was broke.  The bolt was so tight in the upper I had to work with it for a couple hours before I could manage to cycle it; has this happend to anyone else with blackthorne or other kit builds?  At the range the rifle worked the way it is supposed to.  I had a lot of fun putting the rifle together and I am looking forward to building another.  Yoslick, how tight is your varmit upper shooting?
Link Posted: 3/14/2007 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Alright!! Got my receiver and thanks to AR-15.com's simple instructions I now have another complete rifle!!  Here she be as it came UPS, as I put it together and with her bigger brother!!  Sorry about the crappy pic's but it's the best my $20 wallyworld special can do. Oh and the upper is a DPMS Dissipator...http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/yoslick/Mar14340.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/yoslick/Mar14341.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/yoslick/Mar14346.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/yoslick/Mar14347.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/yoslick/Mar14350.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/yoslick/Mar14355.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/yoslick/Mar14358.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/yoslick/Mar14352.jpg

Slick!!  Who will have a range report tomorrow!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2007 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's my new baby! Just finished assembly. UPS delivered kit about 20 minutes after they were to stop delivering. I chose the location for my house for just that reason,you can't find it. Anyway,crappy pics but who cares? I finally have my AR!!!!!

I have to work tomorrow so no test until the weekend. I don't know if I can be away from her that long but I'll try!
Oh yeah,I can't pull the charging handle back and the sling mount doesn't seem to be iin the way. Any ideas?
And no,the pic date isn't right. Gotta find that manual to change it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2007 3:35:06 AM EDT
[#13]
OOOhhhhhhh  Flat top!!   I Like!!!!!!!he
Slick!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2007 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#14]
It lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Just got done putting a quick 20 rounds down range at my waste treatment plant and she runs like a dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!his
Slick!!  
Link Posted: 3/15/2007 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Got my Blackthorne varminter kit today. Looks OK as far as quality. I am going to dissasemble the upper and install by 20" SS barrel from dstamps on it. He sells them on gunbroker for $99 each. Ill save the barrel provided for a later build. I want to see how the cheap SS HBs from him work. I'll post pics.
E-mail me for info. Both comanies delivered well for me.
[email protected]
Link Posted: 3/15/2007 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#16]

It's not the sling ring hanging up the charging handle. I filed it down just to be a conformist. Still,I have to pull it 2 - 4 times for it to charge the weapon. I took the BCG and bolt out and checked the cam pin travel and it seems to be ok. It looks like the bolt head isn't turning all the way to come out of the extension. It is however much better than last night when I shredded my fingers just to get it out once. I have lubed the parts that needed it and probably a bit more that didn't. I'm just concerned about firing it without a smooth travel of the BCG. Do I dare fire it? If not,what can I do to cure what ails her?
Link Posted: 3/15/2007 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#17]
i would love to hear about how they are doing as far as functioning as far as reliableity and accuracy goes, im buying a lower this weekend at the funshow and i need the rest of the debris to mount onto it. soooooo tempting!!!! BTW whats the average shiped price for a 20 inch A2 kit? thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2007 1:56:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It's not the sling ring hanging up the charging handle. I filed it down just to be a conformist. Still,I have to pull it 2 - 4 times for it to charge the weapon. I took the BCG and bolt out and checked the cam pin travel and it seems to be ok. It looks like the bolt head isn't turning all the way to come out of the extension. It is however much better than last night when I shredded my fingers just to get it out once. I have lubed the parts that needed it and probably a bit more that didn't. I'm just concerned about firing it without a smooth travel of the BCG. Do I dare fire it? If not,what can I do to cure what ails her?

Check the clearance between the hammer and the bottom of the bolt carrier. There is a groove and a ramp that cocks the hammer and the clearance is tight. I filed my hammer in the appropriate spot. It helps to take it apart and look at it. Note where it gets tight. I'm betting this coincides with the end of the ramp and the position of the hammer.

After I filed mine it cycled like a dream.

Push the hammer all the way down past the cocked position and look for rub marks and look for marks on the bottom of the bolt carrier. This solved my problem. I felt like a friggin gunsmith having diagnosed this myself! I dry fired the rifle about 100 times and could see the spot the hammer contacts the firing pin (stay away from that area when filing). I took off about .035 inch and It was the difference between night and day.

If you did nothing it would probably break in anyway but mine was tight enough that it got stuck where I had to pop out the take down pins to get it to cycle forward.
Link Posted: 3/16/2007 2:47:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I do see rub marks but it does it even with the recievers seperated.
Link Posted: 3/16/2007 7:26:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Your saying the bolt is hard to move to the rear or forward even when the receiver is removed/unhinged? Does it do it the entire length or just when you first start reward? Where's it rubbing, any shiny spots started? Pic would help.. Once you get the area dragging figured out we can go from there, might just be a little extra oxy coating on it, lube the snot outta it with some real good teflon based lube and start working it...  jmho.....  You don't by chance have another bolt available just to be sure your uppers in spec do you?

Slick!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2007 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#21]
+1 lube the carrier and the charging handle and work that thing. Cycle it about 200 times by hand. Then clean the grease out and CLP it and cycle it some more!
Link Posted: 3/16/2007 8:42:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Without the bolt it is smooth as a Hari Krishna's head. It only does it when the bolt is in. It seems that the bolt head (cogs) are catching a bit on the way out. It is getting better the more I charge it. It's not nearly as bad as it was. In fact, I just chrged it about 15 times with no problems. So I'm gonna charge it some more,and then more.
Link Posted: 3/16/2007 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Just to be safe make sure you start with 1 round in the mag, then 2, then 5 etc....  just in case!!!!!!!!!!!Slick!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2007 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I just test fired my new beauty and she did perfectly. Thanks everyone for being so helpful. Sorry for the highjack.
Link Posted: 3/16/2007 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#25]
how has accuracy and reliability been? (please push me off this fence so i can order one)
Link Posted: 3/16/2007 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine has been excellent and oh somebody asked about shipping costs and my last order was 12 bucks for the stock and internals, a complete bolt with charging handle and a complete lower kit. To NW Wisc...

Slick!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2007 7:43:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
how has accuracy and reliability been? (please push me off this fence so i can order one)

Actually I just fired it into an old tree to make sure everything worked properly and didn't cause a mushroom cloud or anything. My in laws live about 120 yards away and my father in law's mother is sick and was at her home which is about 100 yards away so I didn't push it for accuracy as I usually wait to shoot when no one is home. I'll try to this weekend and get a report back. Positively Monday at the latest as everyone goes to work and I'm off.
Link Posted: 3/17/2007 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I had the same problem with my bolt being very tight.  I hand polished areas of the carrier till I could get it to cycle by hand.  After the first shot it loosend up.
Link Posted: 3/17/2007 6:27:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Kit is assembeled. Didn't change barrels yet because the gas block is for a thicker barrel(provided). The headspace NOGO guage closed a little too easily for my taste, but the field guage wouldn't budge. The varmint .223 kit matches exactly the finish on my DSA lower. A little shake between upper and lower.
Pics coming soon.
Link Posted: 3/19/2007 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#30]
I am all over the AK link but it is a bit delayed in response time.  In fact I don't think anyone has read my post there requesting the jigs or jig dimensions.  Oh well I will make it from scratch if I have to first thing April.  As for Blackthorne being a little stiff in working the action, check the stock plate.  Two builds I had last week that was the problem.  Lube the parts good, but I would file the stock plate down either with a dremel or hand file (which I used).  I did order my M4 kit this morning and will post accuracy results later (I already loaded 100 match bullets to test it).  I have not heard from the two builds I did last week, but will post their results as soon as I hear them.

Link Posted: 3/19/2007 2:19:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The bolt was so tight in the upper I had to work with it for a couple hours before I could manage to cycle it; has this happened to anyone else with blackthorne or other kit builds?

Yes, I have had this same problem with a 100% DPMS Dissipator upper.  I used valve grinding compound to soothe the clearances so that it would cycle without interference.  I only needed to move it in/out 15 or so times.

I have also had the same problem with the CAR plate stock.  I have had some that were too narrow in the inside that it rubbed the BC as it came back.  I have also had rings that were so high that the CH would hit when manually cycled.  These were easy to fix, and I used cold blue to color the steel.  This part is stamped; I have never seen one forged.  I have had the above problems with DPMS, RRA, and COLT lower parts kits.

Edited to add:
If this kit is good, I will assemble what I can before the next ban.  The ban is coming when the dems take the White House.

BTW, I ordered a M4 A3 kit, detachable carry handle, and two 30-round mags for $477.99, delivered.  Add $107 for my Ameetec, and I'm in a M4 A3 with rear sight for $585.  I will post photos of my kit, assembly, and target when I can in a different thread.
Link Posted: 3/21/2007 6:25:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Finally got mine put together, packaging was fine.  The hand guards and the stock are my only gripe, could be better quality.  The charging handle hits the stock if the stock is not extended, it's a question of millimeters, any suggestions?  The bolt was very tight, but after I cycled it about twenty times, it loosened up nicely.   The fit with my DPMS lower is superb.  I ordered an A2 Rear Sight, but instead got an A2 removable carry handle, I like it better, so no complaints.  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/waxman328/DSCF0524.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/waxman328/P3200037.jpg

Range report tomorrow.

I know....the lawn needs work
Link Posted: 3/21/2007 7:03:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Sheeet, at least you got grass!!

As for the charging handle hitting the stock when collapsed, I've heard that problem with that style before, is there a diferent style charger or is filing the top of the ring always necessary??

Oh, looks nice too by the way!!

Slick!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2007 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#34]
anybody have the link to their web site? thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2007 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#35]
http://akpartskits.com/store/

Slick!!  
Link Posted: 3/21/2007 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#36]
height=8
Quoted:
Sheeet, at least you got grass!!
img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/yoslick/range.jpg

As for the charging handle hitting the stock when collapsed, I've heard that problem with that style before, is there a diferent style charger or is filing the top of the ring always necessary??

Oh, looks nice too by the way!!It's not hitting any metal but the actual plastic on the stock, so I guess filing or sanding it down might be the way to go.
Link Posted: 3/23/2007 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/23/2007 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Nice pics. My rifle is performing fine so far. The Naitonal Guard has some mags that don't have manufacturer stamps on them. Luckily,my handguard was fine. What is the 'M' marking on the upper? The 'D' on the bolt? My FSB has what appears to be a 1 and a diamond on it,ring any bells out there?
Link Posted: 3/24/2007 7:22:04 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
.................. I ordered an A2 Rear Sight, but instead got an A2 removable carry handle, I like it better, so no complaints.  

If your original order was for their $30 BUIS, you did not miss anything and probably came out ahead with the carry handle. Of my two kits and other small parts I have ordered from Blackthorne, the BUIS was my only complaint.

Hootbro
Link Posted: 3/24/2007 7:43:40 AM EDT
[#40]
I got a Blackthorne detachable carry handle too.  It is NOT made in U.S.A.  Arrived in green box with ends torn off.  Rear sights are very loose.  Finish appears to be powder coated.  Note the casting voids on the underside.  No markings.  I may have my friend sandblast it and refinish with KG Gunkote in flat black.  Of course, with all this extra work, overall time/cost involved may have equalled the price of a Bushmaster or Colt carry handle.

Link Posted: 3/24/2007 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Sounds like your little Pony didn't come with a brush and you're mad! Just kidding
Link Posted: 3/24/2007 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#42]
height=8
Quoted:
Kit is assembeled. Didn't change barrels yet because the gas block is for a thicker barrel(provided). The headspace NOGO guage closed a little too easily for my taste, but the field guage wouldn't budge. The varmint .223 kit matches exactly the finish on my DSA lower. A little shake between upper and lower.
Pics coming soon.

How do you post pics on the forum?
Link Posted: 3/24/2007 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Sign up with photobucket.com and then upload your pic. Photobucket gives 3 links, URL's as choices. Copy the bottom link on the pic marked IMG Code and paste it into your AR15.com post. No need to use this forums buttons it will display automatically.
Link Posted: 3/27/2007 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I got a Blackthorne detachable carry handle too.  It is NOT made in U.S.A.  Arrived in green box with ends torn off.  Rear sights are very loose.  Finish appears to be powder coated.  Note the casting voids on the underside.  No markings.  I may have my friend sandblast it and refinish with KG Gunkote in flat black.  Of course, with all this extra work, overall time/cost involved may have equalled the price of a Bushmaster or Colt carry handle.

www.beastwerks.com/firearms/Blackthorne/Blackthorne_images/8.jpg
www.beastwerks.com/firearms/Blackthorne/Blackthorne_images/9.jpg
www.beastwerks.com/firearms/Blackthorne/Blackthorne_images/10.jpg

at least they drilled the sight aperature in the middle of the material.  i have an LMT buis and it's drilled about 3 mm off center.  they never replied to my emails and when i called they blew me off by saying i should just adjust the sight when i switch to that sight hole.   i could care less about the casting voids or where its made if it works and the holes are drilled in the same plane.

Link Posted: 3/27/2007 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#45]
This thread =

If your charging handle is hitting the stock when it is collapsed you have a major problem with the dimensions on one of your parts.

Also, it is impossible for the carrier to touch the inside of the buffer tube unless your buffer tube is not concentric with the upper reciever and lower.  Again a major dimensional problem.
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 6:49:07 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
i have an LMT buis and it's drilled about 3 mm off center.  they never replied to my emails and when i called they blew me off by saying i should just adjust the sight when i switch to that sight hole.

Though lemons do get produced, LMT should not have treated you that way.  LMT is off my list.  I really never saw the difference in quality between LTM and Stag/CMT.

BTW, here is my group with my so called POS Blackthorne 16" M4 kit.
My web page.
AR15.com thread.

Link Posted: 3/28/2007 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#47]
thinking about a blackthorne 20" varmint upper kit. How did your guy's blackthorne varmint rifles do in the field test?
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 11:25:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
This thread =

If your charging handle is hitting the stock when it is collapsed you have a major problem with the dimensions on one of your parts.

Also, it is impossible for the carrier to touch the inside of the buffer tube unless your buffer tube is not concentric with the upper reciever and lower.  Again a major dimensional problem.

Those are all symtoms of having the buffer tube hole in the lower drilled crooked. I've only seen that on 80% lowers..............
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#49]
If I am reading the previous posts right,  please correct me if I am wrong.
Didn't they say the carrier was hitting inside the buffer tub and they were having trouble getting the bolt to rotate into the locked position in the barrel/extension?
Along with the charge handle hitting the stock?
If I got all that right, wouldn't that point to the upper receiver, carrier bore or somthing in that area not being machined properly? At a slight angle maybe a bit downward at the rear?
Link Posted: 3/31/2007 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Here's my 16" CAR at the range.  Had some issues with it the bolt carrier assembly not staying back/open once the last round was fired.  Took it to a shop down in Ft. Worth and figured out the bolt carrier assembly was not traveling back far enough, the buffer and buffer recoil spring were not CAR but rifle parts.  Got those replaced, actually simply swapped parts with the guy, and problem solved.  The charging handle hitting the stock was fixed by sanding down the stock a bit.  I made it work, but I must say it was a bit frustrating.  My nepwhew got the same kit from Del-Ton, and has had no problems whatsoever with it.  He spent around 100.00 more than i did.
But I'm an optimist, the rifle shoots straight, hasn't jammed on me once, and I've fed it around 150 rounds so far.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/waxman328/DSCF0532.jpg
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top