Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2003 11:06:44 AM EDT

I know this has been done a lot and I've looked up a few other threads and came up with answers to all but the following questions:

1. Does anyone who uses an Eotech or Aimpoint have a harder time transitions from rifle to pistol because of bulk and/or Aimpoint lense covers, it looks like those Aimpoint covers could get ripped off pretty easily when doing transitions, where as the Eotech seems like there is less to snag.

2. Is the Eotech truely paralax free?

3. If either sight fogs or has excessive moisture build up, gets broken ect.....What good is a co-witnessed sight going to do?  It seems like you wouldn't be able to see through the optic anyway?  That would mean that co-witnessing is only good for when batteries or electronics fail.  Am I thinking right on that?

4. Just curious to hear from those who have an Eotech or an Aimpoint, what made you pic one over the other?  Or if you have both, which do you prefer and why?

Thanks for any replies.

Side Note: Having this sight down for a few days makes you (or at least me) realize what a luxury it is to have feedback from other people who have first hand experience before making big (to me) purchases.  So thanks again!

Link Posted: 10/4/2003 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

1. Does anyone who uses an Eotech or Aimpoint have a harder time transitions from rifle to pistol because of bulk and/or Aimpoint lense covers, it looks like those Aimpoint covers could get ripped off pretty easily when doing transitions, where as the Eotech seems like there is less to snag.
View Quote

My Eotech does not have any lens covers. Once it's on it's always ready. Have not had any problems with snagging.

2. Is the Eotech truely paralax free?
View Quote

Yes, as I see and understand it.

3. If either sight fogs or has excessive moisture build up, gets broken ect.....What good is a co-witnessed sight going to do?  It seems like you wouldn't be able to see through the optic anyway?  That would mean that co-witnessing is only good for when batteries or electronics fail.  Am I thinking right on that?
View Quote

My Eotech has never fogged.

I've used an Eotech with a broken front lens and it worked fine, no kidding. Yes you can still see through it and the Eotech still worked with the broken front lens just fine.

4. Just curious to hear from those who have an Eotech or an Aimpoint, what made you pic one over the other?  Or if you have both, which do you prefer and why?
View Quote

Price, I did not need a mount with the Eotech. I like the reticle better over the Aimpoint.

Link Posted: 10/4/2003 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup..what bvmjethead said. [:D]

I've never had an EO TECH fog, shot it w/ rain on the lens and have shot/sighted in shattered lens models w/ ease.

None of mine have covers on them nor have they gotten "snagged" due to being too blocky or anything like that.

I prefer the EO TECH reticle...it is faster and more accurate to me. In fact, I sold my aimpoint and replaced it w/ another EO TECH after buying my first one.

Rob
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#3]
#1.  I’ve never had any type of trouble transitioning to my secondary weapon or transitioning to my offhand shoulder using an Aimpoint or Eotech.  Nor have any of the other guys on our team that I know of.  I’m not quite sure what you mean by “bulk”,  both only weigh a few ounces.  Most of our team has the Aimpoint lens covers opening down on the flattop, but a couple still have them opening up.  When I first started using these sights I had the 1ST generation Bushnell Holosight and then a Comp ML mounted on top of the carry handle, still never had a problem.  Best advice to avoid the possibility of this problem for the Aimpoint is to have the covers open down or remove them all together.

#2. As far as I know the Eotech is parallax free.  I stopped using it a long time ago in favor of the Aimpoint.

#3.  As far as fogging up, if you have access to either, place one or both in a freezer for a little while, take it/them out and exhale on the lens. You will still be able to see the dot/circle, dot through the sight.  Are you familiar with Trijicon’s Bindon Aiming Concept?  If not and you do have access to either sight, close the front cover on an Aimpoint or block the front of an Eotech. Shoulder your weapon (safely) with the sight on and mounted.  Look into the sight with your weak/outside eye closed.  Then close your dominate/inside eye, open your other eye and look down the side of your weapon.  Now open both eyes and your brain will combine both views.  This is the basic concept.  You can still use both sights if the front was totally obscured by water, fog, mud, lens cap…etc.  If you are not comfortable with that then all you can do is either get a quick detachable mounting system and remove the sight from the weapon or mount it on top of the carry handle and use the irons.  (On top of carry handle not recommended.)

#4.  The Eotech is a good sight.  I just like the LONGER battery life, easier activation/ brightness adjustment controls (gloved especially), available mounting systems, and looks of the Aimpoint.

I hope this helps.  If not maybe someone else can help me.  Lord knows I need it! [:)]

Ray
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive never had the least bit of trouble with my lense covers getting in the way.  The gun is wider than they are.

I prefer the Aimpoint simply for the reticle and the easy of adjusting brightness.  I find it much easier to roll the Aimpoints control knob with the palm of my hand than looking for buttons, especially in the dark and when wearing gloves.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got two M2 Aimponts and one Eotech. I use 'em all a great deal and love both sights. I wouldn't be one to really try to influence anyone on one over the other but I will say that I love the battery life on the Aimpoints...But the one sole Aimpoint complaint I have is it's too easy to accidentally turn on (say in a case or bag).
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top