Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/21/2007 6:01:08 PM EDT
So, I've got all this Brownell's action lube (moly) and have only used it on my semiauto handguns' actions up until now.  At this rate my great-grandchildren are going to probably inherit it from my son's son, know what I'm saying...

Does anyone use moly in the ol' ar's action or do you think it will attract and retain too much dirt?  I'm going to try it no matter what you a-holes say, but I want some opinions anyhoo.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I use it to build ARs with, not lube them with it
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 2:23:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Well you’ll never get my opinion calling me a  "a-hole".  
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 6:29:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So, I've got all this Brownell's action lube (moly) and have only used it on my semiauto handguns' actions up until now.  At this rate my great-grandchildren are going to probably inherit it from my son's son, know what I'm saying...

Does anyone use moly in the ol' ar's action or do you think it will attract and retain too much dirt?  I'm going to try it no matter what you a-holes say, but I want some opinions anyhoo.

So, you post saying you want advice but are going to ignore that advice, while including a preemptive personal insult. I think I know who the asshole is... BSW
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow, sorry about offending you guys...I thought it was obvious that I was joking...
I'll be more cautious with the scarcasm from now on around here.  I'm just used to joking around with people on different forums and thought I could do that here too.  I guess I need to build up a bit more rapport...

briansmithwins, I posted requesting opinions, not advice.  Yes I was going to put the moly in my action regardless (no harm there), this post was more of an "I'm trying to get a feel for how many other folks are doin' the same and why or why not" type of post, not a "should or shouldn't" I post.

BTW, I just put together two Stag lowers with Stag parts and used moly on the areas where the hammer and trigger connect when the hammer is cocked.  That's the only place that could benefit from it anyway.

Anyway, sorry if I offended anyone.h.gif

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Wow, sorry about offending you guys...I thought it was obvious that I was joking...
I'll be more cautious with the scarcasm from now on around here.  I'm just used to joking around with people on different forums and thought I could do that here too.  I guess I need to build up a bit more rapport...

briansmithwins, I posted requesting opinions, not advice.  Yes I was going to put the moly in my action regardless (no harm there), this post was more of an "I'm trying to get a feel for how many other folks are doin' the same and why or why not" type of post, not a "should or shouldn't" I post.

BTW, I just put together two Stag lowers with Stag parts and used moly on the areas where the hammer and trigger connect when the hammer is cocked.  That's the only place that could benefit from it anyway.

Anyway, sorry if I offended anyone.

Yeah, sarcasm and humor can be hard to convey in a text only format.

That said, I've used moly to lubricate firearms before. What I've done is add it to CLP. When the CLP burns off, you still have some lubrication left. It works ok, especially for guns that are stored for long periods. For guns that are shot frequently, it's a mess.

I've switched to LSA in the past 6 months, which doesn't have the same problems of evaporating as CLP. BSW
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'll be more cautious with the scarcasm from now on around here.  

No problem here, it was obvious to me. I knew you were joking, hence the little guy at the end of my response.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I knew you were kidding as well. I personally do not run anything other than an oil based CLP or lube in the AR.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I have also used the moly paste on the cam pin and bolt/carrier interface as well as the bolt lugs.  I started this because it is what works so well on my precision bolt action rifles.  I like it well enough in the AR.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 6:32:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Just think that whatever one puts into their gun, they will have to get out when cleaning.  This grease is black as night (like most all moly products), and sticky and thick.  Is this something that will aid in cleaning or keeping your gun clean?

A good oil or CLP is all you need.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top