Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/30/2006 7:28:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/30/2006 7:29:11 PM EST by dbailey223]
Will "White Lithium Grease" work as substitute for moly grease for an AR build?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:34:40 PM EST
I don't see why it wouldn't, it serves a similar purpose when used elsewhere. Won't hurt to see, the worst you'll have is a lubed barrel nut lol.

But moly is only a couple or 3 bucks at autozone if you have the time to get it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:36:22 PM EST
Went to Lowe's and this seemed to be the closest thing they had. It was $3 or so too
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:37:45 PM EST
Went to Lowe's and this seemed to be the closest thing they had. It was $3 or so too
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:13:00 PM EST
I've heard to stay away from the lithium based grease. You want Molybediumdisfulite grease. I might be slightly off on the spelling though.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:19:28 PM EST
the white lithium grease will giveaway your position
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:26:36 PM EST
i don't know about what grease to use on building rifles

but i do know grease, working on cars and moly grease is VERY different than lithium grease....each has its purpose
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:40:20 PM EST
I've heard to stay away from the lithium based grease. You want Molybediumdisfulite grease. I might be slightly off on the spelling though.

Built one in AZ, agreed use Moly.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:24:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By Dan_GSR:
i don't know about what grease to use on building rifles

but i do know grease, working on cars and moly grease is VERY different than lithium grease....each has its purpose
You're probably right, I just know that we used both on my jeep doors, and other parts on it at the advice of the jeep dudes at the camps. They said they would both be fine for our purposes. Which were putting them into some pretty rough conditions minus the extreme heat.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:42:41 AM EST
I was told my a manufacturer to use only Moly grease on my two stage triggers. I can't find it locally and the shipping cost more than the procuct online.
I bought some kind of oil that was marked Smith& Wesson Friction Block about 10+ years ago. This stuff is awesome on sigle stage triggers. One drop and it smooths them out. I haven't been able to find it anymore.
JRandyH
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:57:18 AM EST
Moly Grease is available at Autozone, Advance Auto, industrial supply houses, and other places. You generally find it in wheel bearing grease. I have seen it on ebay.

There are two kinds of moly grease, inhibited and uninhibited. The inhibited resists galvanic action.

DO NOT USE GRAPHITE BASED GREASE ON ANYTHING YOU CARE ABOUT. AS FAR AS THAT GOES DON'T USE GRAPHITE ON ANYTHING ! ! ! ! You care about.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:23:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By Humpy70:
Moly Grease is available at Autozone, Advance Auto, industrial supply houses, and other places. You generally find it in wheel bearing grease. I have seen it on ebay.

There are two kinds of moly grease, inhibited and uninhibited. The inhibited resists galvanic action.

DO NOT USE GRAPHITE BASED GREASE ON ANYTHING YOU CARE ABOUT. AS FAR AS THAT GOES DON'T USE GRAPHITE ON ANYTHING ! ! ! ! You care about.

Most of the Moly wheel bearing grease products contain graphite. I buy a product from NAPA called Moly Lubricant. The part number is ECHML1. It is pure moly with glycerin as a carrier. It costs 5.99 for a small tube. It will last for many builds as you only need to use a dab the size of a pencil eraser on the start of the reciever threads.

Geof
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:26:07 AM EST
moly is ok
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:28:50 AM EST
Try the Moly Assembly Lube which is very cheap and an awesome lubricant.

BTW - When building rifles, exactly what are you people using the Moly grease for??
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:37:25 AM EST
I bought a 1lb tub of moly grease a few years ago at autozone for 2 dollars and tax. Just look at the ingredients of the different greases at your autoparts store of choice.
I doubt using lithium grease would be a problem, but the moly is easy to get.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:17:46 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:44:32 AM EST
I thought about it for a while and came to the conclusion that's where it was being used. What about the anti-seize lube that's used on spark plugs...Seems like it would be ideal.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:58:17 AM EST
"What about the anti-seize lube that's used on spark plugs...Seems like it would be ideal."

That's what I thought about using too. Anyone have experience with it on an AR?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:21:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/31/2006 11:22:32 AM EST by Dusty_C]

Originally Posted By dhoupt:
"What about the anti-seize lube that's used on spark plugs...Seems like it would be ideal."

NO. The purpose of Moly is because the the reciever and barrel nut are two different metals.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:31:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/31/2006 11:35:33 AM EST by j3_]
The only two I saw that were listed were Areoshell #17 and Royco 64C.
Some of the moly assembly lubes also contain graphite if you read the label.
I have never had any problems with anti seize and I have taken barrels off I put on uppers over 10 years ago. I do not swim in salt water with my gun though.
One difference in the moly as an additive is how much presssure it can take.
The spec does list a max amount of moly in the lube. Some lubes might exceed that. Would it make a differnce if they did?
The Mobile lube listed in the other post at Napa sounds like something I might try in the future. Wish I could find a list of its ingrediants.

The listed torque spec is with the grease. There are other parts that are different metals on the gun but are not installed wiith the grease on them.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:03:13 PM EST
I found Super Lithium EP Moly Grease at Pep Boys today. "Fortified with molibdenum disulfide". I don't see an ingredient list on it to tell if it has graphite.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:11:18 PM EST
The maker should have and MSDS sheet online that will list the ingredients. That is how I saw that the Moly Lube from NAPA only has glycern and moly.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 10:49:36 AM EST
Try a bearing supply house that sells bearings to industrial accounts. The vast majority of them have the Dow-Corning line of moly products available. Moly is NOT graphite.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 11:25:59 AM EST
How about Neco Moly-Slide.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 11:29:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2007 11:36:22 AM EST by ROMAD-556]
Walmart sells a 14 oz tube of "extreme pressure moly-lithium grease' in the automotive section. Its the sort of tube that goes into a grease gun.

Primary listed ingredient is molybdenum disulfide

N.L.G.I: grade 2
Base Type: Lithium 12 Hydroxy Stearate
Color: Dark Gray
Drop Point: 350 deg.F minimum
Water Resistance: Excellent
Timken OK load: 45 lbs.

The tube is < $3.00 and should last you several lifetimes of normal AR building. I cant remember the thread in the building section but this grease was recommended to me here on ARFCOM and I have had no issues with any of my builds using it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 11:32:21 AM EST
I and many others use anti-seize for the barrel nut installation. The whole deal with the moly grease is to prevent galling during assembly. It or anti-seize are totally capable of doing that. Some guys put a dap of moly grease on the hammer and disconnector engagement area (sear). I use Gunslick there.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 11:35:08 AM EST
Go to an automotive parts store and ask for Moly Assembly grease, $4 and you are on your way...
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 11:51:52 AM EST

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:

Originally Posted By dhoupt:

NO. The purpose of Moly is because the the reciever and barrel nut are two different metals.

That's the whole purpose of anti-seize, for use on dissimilar metals
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 12:13:57 PM EST
I finished an AR and the free float forearm is from DPMS and it's aluminum as is the barrel nut that come with it. The receiver is CMT also aluminum and both it and the barrel nut are anodized. So we're not talking about two totally different metals here in this case and many other cases on the board. Yeah, some of the barrel nuts are steel. The idea of the grease to to prevent galling and corrosion. Exactly what anti-seize does. There are different grades and type of anti seize along with different temperature levels up to some very high temperatures. I've used copper anti-seize compound on all the exhaust system nuts and studs of car exhaust systems I've built and they have always been easy to remove. Moly or anti seize grease is just fine for the barrel nuts.

JFA
Top Top