Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/3/2006 6:54:08 AM EDT
Has anyone coated the inside of the barrel with liquid moly and if so what was your results?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:12:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't mess with moly if you already have a hard-chromed barrel.  I experimented with moly coated bullets some years ago and still have a few boxes on hand.  I'm over that too.  Bullet pull is different, point of impact changes, etc.  Moly was a fad in the benchrest community beginning about...oh...10 years ago.  May still be going on, but they live in a different world than most of us.

I can see some application for moly on some bearing surfaces, like maybe trigger parts, slide/frame contact points.  If you are really curious, do some research in benchrest shooting publications, then decide.

Jeff
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:14:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you talking about the moly that goes on bullets, or the moly that goes on the outside of weapons?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Liquid moly that you can coat bullets or the inside of a barrel.  I use it on my benchrest 22-250.  At one time soemone told me that I would get better accuracy if I cleaned it out.  I did and the weapon lost it's accuracy.  I recoated the barrel and the accuracy came right back.
Of course I also use moly bullets and don't clean the barrel
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:08:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Using moly coated bullets and moly burnished bores is pretty common in Service Rifle competition.  I use moly, but it has less to do with accuracy directly than pressuring and velocity, and easy cleaning.  It's easier to clean up moly fouling and re-moly the bore than to clean up copper fouling.  

Never cleaning?  Not anyone's wildest dreams.  I put a few patches of kroil down the bore after every 88 or so rounds, plus cleaning the chamber and bolt.  I clean the barrel down to bare metal after every 300 rounds or so.  I then reapply a coating of moly paste which is burnished into the bore.  This 'fixes' the cold bore shot; first shot is in the group.  I'm not aware of any liquid moly for this application.

USGI Mk264 uses moly coated bullets.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#5]
There use to be a company Ms Moly but I called their 800 no. and they told me that they stopped producing because no one purchased it.  This was not a grease, it came in a aeresol can and I spray it on a mop and heat up the barrel with a heat gun.  I had not cleaned the barrel in probably 800 rounds when someone told me if I cleaned it I would get more accurate.  I cleaned and my grouping was gone.  I coated the barrel again and it's just like before.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I am talking about the moly that goes on bullets
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top