Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2018 9:46:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/13/2018 10:35:24 AM EDT by METT-T]
Or mildewy, I guess. Big Brown brought me a new Accupower yesterday that I was really looking forward to mounting up and trying out this weekend. Opened the box to find this:

I don't see any dessicant in the box. Guess this has to go back as I don't know how long it's been damp in there and what that did to the electronics, right?
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 10:00:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/13/2018 10:04:31 AM EDT by F-111_John]
Was it a Chinese knockoff scope from eBay, or maybe a flood damaged unit from one of the recent hurricanes? I can't imagine Trijicon would be selling that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 10:07:58 AM EDT
Not being a smartass, honest question; is it something that can be wiped off? If it's a water resistant optic and there's no sign of moisture inside, I'd probably be tempted to just clean it up and use it. Maybe contact the manufacturer to let them know and lay the groundwork in case an issue arises later...

Or maybe not. I guess if you spend enough money you probably want it right from the start.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 10:31:05 AM EDT
For me it would depend upon warranty of scope, if it has a lifetime warranty I would wipe it down and use it.

If not send it back
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 10:32:20 AM EDT
If that is a real accupower, I would send it back.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 10:34:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/13/2018 10:36:03 AM EDT by METT-T]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Skrapmetal:
Not being a smartass, honest question; is it something that can be wiped off? If it's a water resistant optic and there's no sign of moisture inside, I'd probably be tempted to just clean it up and use it. Maybe contact the manufacturer to let them know and lay the groundwork in case an issue arises later...

Or maybe not. I guess if you spend enough money you probably want it right from the start.
View Quote
This is where I'm on the fence. It'll wipe right off and the glass looks fine. I'm tempted to just wipe it off and go with it. But...why was it damp and for how long?

Not a knockoff, came from a high volume reputable dealer.

I guess I gotta send it back. I hate delayed gratification.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 10:48:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 6:49:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/17/2018 6:50:28 PM EDT by MS556]
Take photos. Contact Trijicon and verify that it is authentic. Then, wipe it off and use it. It will get more abuse than that on any one single typical outdoor use in inclement weather -- rain, snow, etc. One hunting trip, for example, in winter, or during a rain storm, will be far worse.

Scopes like this are intended to be reliable under extreme conditions. If it falters, then send it back under the warranty.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:39:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MS556:
Take photos. Contact Trijicon and verify that it is authentic. Then, wipe it off and use it. It will get more abuse than that on any one single typical outdoor use in inclement weather -- rain, snow, etc. One hunting trip, for example, in winter, or during a rain storm, will be far worse.

Scopes like this are intended to be reliable under extreme conditions. If it falters, then send it back under the warranty.
View Quote
But it's not supposed to come pre-abused. I don't care how tough the optic or device is, if it's been stored in damp conditions for an unknown length of time it is not a "new" optic. I don't baby my weapons or accessories, I use them. But when I'm done using them i clean them and put them in a safe with a dehumidifier.

I bought this from PSA. I don't mind saying that because when I contacted them, on their first business day after I received it, they said it wasn't their problem and to contact Trijicon. It's now been two days since Trijicon said I'd be contacted shortly with a return label for them to inspect it. I want a new scope.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:06:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By METT-T:

But it's not supposed to come pre-abused. I don't care how tough the optic or device is, if it's been stored in damp conditions for an unknown length of time it is not a "new" optic. I don't baby my weapons or accessories, I use them. But when I'm done using them i clean them and put them in a safe with a dehumidifier.

I bought this from PSA. I don't mind saying that because when I contacted them, on their first business day after I received it, they said it wasn't their problem and to contact Trijicon. It's now been two days since Trijicon said I'd be contacted shortly with a return label for them to inspect it. I want a new scope.
View Quote
Lol, why doesn't this surprise me? There's a reason I rarely buy shit from them.
Top Top