Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 6:14:12 PM EDT
Anyone had experience with the handguards by JP Enterprises? Pros/cons would be appreciated.  It will be going on a bushmaster carbine and is a free float system. I never did like the guards with all of the permanent rails that I will never use and would just get in the way.  I like my AR clean except for something occassional.  I'm going for function; it's a tool, not something to put on the wall.

Note: The picture is for example, it is not the carbine model.

http://www.jprifles.com/photos/JPHG-5.jpg
http://www.jprifles.com/photos/JPTRx4s.jpg
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:56:05 AM EDT
[#1]
That is a pretty nice looking set up. I wish I had seen this a few weeks ago. The price is right.

Here is the link directly to the handguards:
www.jprifles.com/FreeFloatTubeSystem.html
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#2]
You can also get them from Viking Tactics, little better price too.

www.vikingtactics.com

KL
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I have it on my 20a" Bushmaster. It is a terrific free float handguard. It is very stable and also very very confortable. Plus I like that I can add the rails when and where I like. I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#4]
If I ever free-float my carbine, and I really do want to, it's getting a VikingTactics forend or a D&L Sports forend.  

Like ya'll have said, a ton of rail space going unused is just a waste of money (nevermind the cost of rail protectors).  Clean and simple, with rail only where you need it....  What's not to like?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.  When I have the extra money, I think I'll get one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:15:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one on my 20" and really like it.  It is very light and very solid.  One thing to keep in mind is that installation instructions call for the use of red loktite, so if you ever want to cahange it out I am sure it will be a pain.  This wasn't a concern for me however.

HTH

Seydou
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Seydou, how many rounds have you put through the rifle since attaching the forend?  Any probs with stuff working loose?  Would you rate this product as something really rated for HSLD operations?  Or, is it more of a competition item?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Seydou, how many rounds have you put through the rifle since attaching the forend?  Any probs with stuff working loose?  Would you rate this product as something really rated for HSLD operations?  Or, is it more of a competition item?

I have about 1,500 rounds through it and it is still just as solid as when I put it on.  No idea about the HSLD applications but I would assume it would be better in those situations to have rails that are integral to the handguard, so there is virtually zero chance of failure.  Should be just fine for competition use.

HTH

Seydou
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:40:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, Seydou.  I'm not HSLD, but I was curious about the build quality considering how heavily lightened that rear piece is.  They've been moved to my must-look-into list.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top