Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/25/2003 6:31:48 PM EDT
Ok,

I did the sten Mod using an RRA upper and it was exactly as billed - easy and reliable.  THen I got Stupid and sold it.  So I bought 10 more uzi mags and a used RRA upper and RRA block. I just want to know if there is anything I need to know about modifying the Uzi mags before I start screwing up $10 mags (didnt care much with the $3 sten mags and I only messed up one of those)?  I am planning on moving the mag catch out of the way and seating the mag until it bottoms out on the front of the block (I notice it does this rather than bottoming out on the underside of the bolt), marking the cut-out for the mag release and dremeling away on the marked spot.  Is it this simple?  Or do I need to do something else?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds good ,...The only change id suggest is to leave the magblock in the lower and remove the mag catch then mark the mags,..Be advised those mags are HARD...Get the carbide bits....UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:53:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Hard is right, My 1/4 inch router bit easily notched sten mags -- it only took 2 uzi mags to kill it.  So it off to the range with 2 mags today.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Let joeblack ([url]www.m60joe.com[/url]) do them, he has it set up on CNC I think.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The Uzi mags also need to be milled out at the back top of the mag body.  It's a .50"x.50" square coming down from the top of the backside of the mag, centered up.
Sluggo
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:11:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Uzi mags also need to be milled out at the back top of the mag body.  It's a .50"x.50" square coming down from the top of the backside of the mag, centered up.
Sluggo
View Quote

I do not quite understand that one,the bolt has all kinds of clearance to pass through the mag... I run my Uzi mags "[b][blue]AS-IS[/blue][/b]" with my Hy-Tech block.

Can you clarify the need for that cut?
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:30:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Hal., The cut which he is refering to is to clear the bolt hold open on rra and other style blocks..I suppose if you removed the hold open this wouldnt be required....UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I noticed the bolt hold open was in the way, so I just removed it.  I was planing on cutting out the back of the mags, but damn these things are hard - I've already killed a carbide 1/4 inch rounter bit cutting the match catch slot just doing a total of 5 mags
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Mike, makes sense. Was not up to speed on that one.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top