Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 5:25:49 AM EDT
I know this sounds crazy but due to a FU law in Ohio, if you use a mag that can hold over 30rnds in a firearm, then the firearm will become a machine gun(their wording). Anyway, I was wondering or looking for advice as to how I could easily modify Colts mags without affecting their relaibilty?

Any help would be much appreciated, also, please don't respond with the "just use the 32rnd mags", I'm not looking to give the antis any fuel for their fire.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:28:31 AM EDT
[#1]
May I respectfully suggest that you go with the 25 rd. Uzi mags and just have notches cut in them by M60Joe or cut the notches yourself.  You will lose the last round bolt hold open using a standard Uzi mag, but it will allow you to comply with your local law and still enjoy shooting that 9mm AR.

If that doesn't work, I am sure you could make a plastic or wood block to fit into the bottom of the mag below the spring that would be just tall enough to reduce the capacity by a couple rounds.  I would check into the legal issues about using a capacity reducing modification though, to see how it must be implemented and whether or not it needs to be permanent or can be removable.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:33:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Kevin is correct.  It would be a very simple thing to strip a 32 rd mag, and install a spacer above the floorplate to limit cap to 30.  If the mod needs to be "permanent", weld or solder a steel spacer to the floorplate.  You may need to trim the mag spring just a tiny bit if the spacer is between the spring and the floorplate.

Another possibility - drill the mag body near the bottom, and install a roll pin.  Basically, anything to keep the follower from going all the way down.

HTH
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Another possibility - drill the mag body near the bottom, and install a roll pin.  Basically, anything to keep the follower from going all the way down.

HTH

Thanks for the answers so far. I hadn't thought about a roll pin, it's semi permanent and needs tooling to remove it. Do you think this would be viewed the same as welding???

On the subject of UZI mags, I plan in gettign some of those but would like to purchase a few Colt mags to play with an SHTF situations.

One idea I was toying with was cutting maybe 3/4" off the bottom of the mag, but wasn't sure how easy it would be to replicate the way the mags are constructed on the bottom.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#4]
That's what I hear they do in Canada. Then for competition they remove them, and when done put them back.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That's what I hear they do in Canada. Then for competition they remove them, and when done put them back.

They use roll pins??
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They use roll pins??

Screws through the mag wall.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They use roll pins??

Screws through the mag wall.

I'm not sure that would be classified as permannent enough as they are easliy removed.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Mags in Canada must be permanently altered to only hold 5 rds in semi-auto centerfire rifles.  Most of my mags have a pop rivet in the spine so that the follower can't pass it.  I have a couple that have rods inside attached to the bottom of the follower and then a pop rivet in the floorplate so they can't be disassembeld.  I haven't entered any shooting competitions so I can't really speak to that, although from what I have heard, it's just mag changes galore.  It sucks but I guess it helps you with your drills.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Wouldn't want to do a mag change at the same time as a canadian competetitor eh?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Geezah, just cut a piece of metal from the AL plate you got to take up a little space in the bottom of the mag tube.

Colt 20 round mags all came with a piece of spring steel to limilt the mag capacity to 5 round...

Since you in Ohio, and 16" barrels is boring, SBR the thing, and forget the ORC 2923.11
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Geezah, just cut a piece of metal from the AL plate you got to take up a little space in the bottom of the mag tube.

Colt 20 round mags all came with a piece of spring steel to limilt the mag capacity to 5 round...

Since you in Ohio, and 16" barrels is boring, SBR the thing, and forget the ORC 2923.11

I must apoligise as I'm lost on the following, what's the AL plate?

I think the best option may be to drill and insert a pop rivet as this can only be removed by drilling it out.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#12]
The aluminum plate that got shot at in the refridgerator/freezer
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:56:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The aluminum plate that got shot at in the refridgerator/freezer

Ahhh ok, I was completely lost on that one. I'm not sure how easy it would be to cut by hand and I'm not sure if my in-law  would be able to start his own project of cutting up pieces of the armoured plating. I think the best way to go is a pop rivet, as I may want to pursue the SBR at some point but I don't think the wife would go for the additional cost on top of the RRA I placed an order for.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:19:55 AM EDT
[#14]
my colt 32rd mags hold 34
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top