Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 4:30:28 AM EDT
I searched here but could not find,  does anyone modify an upper, by cutting  down the carry handle to a flat top configuration?  With a rail machined in of course to mount optics???  Has anyone had it done?  If so how much, was it cost effective compared to a swap??

Thank all in advance for the time!

Jack
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:18:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never seen an A2 style upper modified to an A3 style. I don't think there is enough material to cut the rail into an A2.

I have seen one with the carry handle cut off before the sight and then modified so someone could add a rail section where the handle was. The rail had to be bolted or epoxied on or something like that. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I do remember that it looked pretty bad.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:24:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have never seen an A2 style upper modified to an A3 style. I don't think there is enough material to cut the rail into an A2.

I have seen one with the carry handle cut off before the sight and then modified so someone could add a rail section where the handle was. The rail had to be bolted or epoxied on or something like that. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I do remember that it looked pretty bad.

OK,  I thought I saw one that was cut off and had 2 grooves cut into the side to allow a ring or mount to clamp on to.  Must have been a wet dream or something....

Thanks,
Jack
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:21:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:40:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I have seen it done a couple f years ago but I don't remember who/where.  In my opinion it is not worth it you will probably spend more money having it done than you would on a new flattop.  You can get a CMT receiver for $80
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:06:00 AM EDT
[#5]
there is a kit in the brownell's catolog to do such a thing to an a2 upper but again probably not worth it.

flattops are cheap to come by as so are buis'
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Kurts Kustom Firearms.  He talks about it in his forum section.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Back in the day (like 25 or 30 years ago) there were no commercially available flat top uppers, so the only way to get one was to make it -- the process you describe is close to how we did it. We would cut the carry handle off and then machine the exposed uppr into a roughly square shape (not much material to work with, then cut a piece of aluminum stock that saddled down over the top of this... this was welded or glued to the upper and often had set screws in the sides to help lock it down.

That new piece could be machined into the actual rail or drilled and tapped to mount a rail section to...

All in all, it is far more work than just buying a new upper, at current shop rates, you can get an upper for an hour shop time.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:19:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys, I knew someone here would know for sure, A new upper it is.

RJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top