Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2003 8:45:13 AM EDT
Has anyone here ever dealt with Model 1 sales before? (http://www.model1sales.com/)
They have some good prices but I was looking for some feed back from someone who ownes one or has shot handeled one.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#1]
The only issue I had with my Model 1 upper was that the rear sight windage needed to be adjusted almost all the way to the left to zero it.. other than that, it looks great and runs good.. no malfunctions so far..

Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Built an AR for a buddy using a Model 1 kit...It brunt up a gas ring in 1500 rounds and the finish wasnt quite up to par with Bushy,RRA,...etc... And the lower kit took some work, Other than that its been a great rifle..........UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:58:24 AM EDT
[#3]
What do you mean by "the lower kit took a little work."?
Thank you guys for the fast response!!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I got several lower kits from them, the only problem I ever had was the safety selctor's were a tad large, but a little polishing and they slid right in bushie's. Other than that, a great functional selection of parts, maybe no safe queen material, but if your gonna shoot it, heck why not, they have good prices.

editied to add

Oh yeah, forgot, when I first got a lower kit, and the selector wouldnt go in, I didnt realize they were oversized a few thousandths, called them up, and they sent me a new one free of charge, but that one was also ovszd, then it hit me to polish it. But hey, any company that will send you anything at all is aok.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Same here, Safety was a bit oversized and a couple detents wouldnt move freely...
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Had mine for a couple of years now.  Shoots 5 shot 3/4" groups using NM sights, hand loads, and it is a 20" HBar A2.  Finish is a perfect match to my Bushie lower.  I would say the only negative thing I could come up with, is that I think the FSB's finish is not as well done.  I also think it could be cast, but thier adds now say that the FSB is not cast.  I would not hesitate to buy another, in fact, I am thinking about building an A3 using their kit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I have bought 2 from them.  the first one had a cast front sight tower,  the new one has a forged one.  It looks like a USGI one.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Model "1" is not a bad upper.  Like all manufacturers you will get a few assemblies out and have problems but that is the same from Colt on down.  I would not worry a bit about buying from them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Bolt stop spring was oversized & too "strong". Required triming and disassembly a second time. Safety detent was too large and would not go into the hole.
Safety machining was a bit off spec.

The owner is not too concerned about "your" problems.

$0.50 issues, but frustrating if you don't have the correct spares on hand.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I've built two and not had any problems.  The last one (an A2) only took two clicks to the right from center to get it hitting dead on.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Had mine for a couple of years now.  Shoots 5 shot 3/4" groups using NM sights, hand loads, and it is a 20" HBar A2.
View Quote

3/4" groups w/irons???? I want this guy on my team!!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't have any Model 1 experience.

Forgive me for mentioning this, but before you place your order, please also consider an ar15.com site sponsor: [url=http://www.jtdistributing.com/] J & T Distributing[/url].

I have no experience with them either, but have heard good things.

Now...  carry on. :)
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had mine for a couple of years now.  Shoots 5 shot 3/4" groups using NM sights, hand loads, and it is a 20" HBar A2.
View Quote

View Quote

With a .036 inch NM hooded aperture and NM front post, that is entirely reasonable, especially fom a bench rest.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Love em.  Their great!  I bought the 7.62 upper kit and had no problems with service.

The company is very professional!
[coffee]
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I have had one of their 16" heavy barrels for a couple of years an dput a ton of rounds thru it still shots 2 moa with a 4 moa red dot just as it always has. Recently I bought a flat top receaver and floating handgaurd from them no problems with either.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I've put about 600 rounds through my Model 1, 16" lightweight CAR kit and it has functioned flawlessly so far in the month that I've had it. I had no problems with fit or finish of any of the kit parts and it went together perfectly with my RRA lower. I plan on building a varmint AR next, and it will also be a Model 1 kit. J
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#17]
The front lug of the upper fits just about right.  The rear lug took some pounding to get into the RRA lower.

Safety detent wouldn't fit the RRA lower.  I have no way to check the diameter of the detent hole, so I can't say it was the detent or the lower.  I have the detent diameter to four significant figures if anyone knows the spec.

Front sight looks pretty aweful.  Can't tell whether it's cast or not.

Upper receiver finish is more shiny than the RRA lower, but not too bad.

EDIT:  Ooops, forgot to mention that my upper came with an A1 front sight blade.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought an upper from them. No problems.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I have seen some of their work before.  Happen to have gone to high school with the owner's daughter.  Good group of people, and they certainly know their stuff.  Haven't shot any of their rifles, but the finish is nice, and they overall appeared to be quality peices.  No matter what happens, they will certainly stand behind their product.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for all the feedback guys!!!
I'm not so woried about ordering one now.
A3 Dissipator here I come!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

With a .036 inch NM hooded aperture and NM front post, that is entirely reasonable, especially fom a bench rest.
View Quote

I also use handloads.  This is off a bench, so don't get too excited about the groups. I will ad that I think I changed out the .036 rear apature for a slightly more open .040? apature.  I also replaced the round front post with a thinner, squared post from DPMS.   Sitting position, at 300yds, I can hit the "head" on a B27? target 5 out of 5 times.  I've got decent eye sight.  

Rifle shoots better than I am capable of.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I deal with model one sales on a steady basis,over the years,any problems that I have had with thier products(not very many)was addressed in a very satisfactory manner.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top