Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/14/2005 6:20:17 PM EDT
Does anyone know who makes the uppers for Model 1 ??  Any experience on fit and finish??

Any horror stories??

Thanks,

Jeff
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:31:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I here the barrels are Wilson, not sure who make the receiver itself.  I have a couple M1s.

The pistol upper I bought came without the bullet ramp cut into the barrel. I sent is back and they returned it in a couple days and it has worked fine ever since.

The other was a 16" pencil barrel flat top upper. Real light weight. No problems with it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a 20" A2 complte kit from Model1 to build out an Olympic lower.  When I first got it I had to use all my windage to zero the rifle.  I sent it back & they fixed it.  They were fine to deal with from a customer service perspective & they turned it around quick.  The complete rifle has been reasonably accurate & totally reliable.  I just ordered a replacement (no-ban) barrel from Model1 which I am in the process of swapping out.  I like buying from them because they are cheap & offer lots of options.  I build plinker range toys, not serious rifles, so price & features are somewhat more important to me than quality.  That said, I have no complaints about the quality.  I don't know who makes their parts -- I would be interested to find that out.  I will almost certainly order from them again.  The Oly lower has been fine too (it is a recent forged receiver) -- no complaints there.  The finish on the Model1 upper & the Oly lower match perfectly too which is worth noting.  Like I said tho, my rifles aren't really pampered, but they definately aren't abused.  The sit in a safe, bang paper at the range, go home for a cleaning & go back in the safe.  I can't really speak for the durability or reliability of the Model1 stuff under adverse conditions.
--JJK
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#3]
This is a Model1 7.5" upper on an Oly Arms lower.  The upper to lower fit is much tighter than my Bushmaster and the color match is perfect.  The barrel is NOT chrome lined but I have had ZERO problems and great accuracy for a CQB SBR.  I only went with Model1 Sales because money was tight and the price was great, even though I have heard some horror stories.  I have had a great experience.

MadDog
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#4]
ERShaw barrels
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#5]
My first AR I built ('97)used M1S parts kit, it had several issues, carrier key got loose, they left out the disconecter & me being a total FNG I didn't know so it had to go to a smith to figure out why it would jam and or double tap.

When I got into building ARs BIG time (14 SEPTEMBER 2004), M1S had numerois "issues", like canted front sights, tight chambers (causeing stuck cases), loose carrier keys, several out of spec LPK items wich wouldn't even fit in a lower, bolts that were garanteed to brake at the 1,000 round mark, ect, ect, ect.

Now it looks like they are OK though.
I've bought 4 barrels and 2 had canted FSBs. but no other issues recently.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had a kit i assmbled from a m1s upper kit + a RRA lower kit. So far , no problems what so ever outside of a detent that didn't seem all to compatable in the RRA lower. The accuracy with the 223 chamber and 1-9 ERshaw heavy fluted SS barrel is quite great.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This is a Model1 7.5" upper on an Oly Arms lower.  The upper to lower fit is much tighter than my Bushmaster and the color match is perfect.  The barrel is NOT chrome lined but I have had ZERO problems and great accuracy for a CQB SBR.  I only went with Model1 Sales because money was tight and the price was great, even though I have heard some horror stories.  I have had a great experience.

MadDog
img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/SBR2.jpg

How many lumen's twist is that!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#8]
demusn,

I just changed out the Surefire bezel on my Scout Light to a bigger one that accepts a lamp that puts out 125 lumens.  The Surefire bezel is now the exact same diameter and lenght as the Krink FH.  Looks sweet and does a good job of lighting a room.

MadDog
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I am new to AR's ..been into FAL's for most of my shooting life.

My first and only AR is a Model1 complete 16" heavy barrel A3 CAR kit built on a Stag receiver.  Other than a few issues with some "stickies" using wolfe ammo, this rifle is reliable and accurate....and I love it!  It has really changed my opinion on AR rifles.  I love this thing!  

I ordered the kit on a Saturday and it showed up Tuesday (I am in OK)

The carrier key doesn't look staked hard but it is staying put.

The trigger pull is heavy...the only thing I don't like, but I know, unlike my FALs, at least I have alot of options on what to do.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top